C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

clutch master question

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 02:00 PM
chuckie669
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch master question

what's up guys. been a lurker for some time now, I have a 2000 vette with about 65k miles.

been having intermittent mushy clutch and working the ranger method for some time now. at this point I feel I need to replace the clutch master to see if that resolves the problem.

those that have done this, would you suggest oem or aftermarket? I'm not a crazy driver or big track guy so the tick seems like a lot of work/ cost/ overkill.

haven't found a site to buy from yet so going yall may chime in with any info or sponsors. thanks in advance.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:58 PM
chuckie669
Intermediate

well as plan b, it looks like the shop in my area will change the master for about 350 part and labor.

hate to spend 200 extra but time value to cost it doesn't seem too bad.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:00 PM
k24556
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 205 Likes on 171 Posts

Default mushy clutch

Not sure what you mean by mushy, it may not be your master. What are your symptoms?

You may have air in the slave, and if so a new master won't cure it. Only cure is a bleed job.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:05 PM
janky
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I get the occasional pedal-stuck-to-floor problem when driving hard, I at some point plan to replace the OEM master with a Tick adjustable based on lengthy research on this forum and elsewhere. Seems to be the cure-all for that particular problem, assuming the slave cylinder is functioning normally and the fluid isn't toast.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:10 PM
Dave_2003_TRZ06
Racer

The stock MC in these cars is inadequate and prone to issues. I would give the Tick performance MC a try. the Tick MC resolved my issues and I had tried another aftermarket MC as well as an OEM replacement before the Tick. I was about to pull the trans, clutch to replace the slave and inspect the clutch. I have always used the ranger method as well.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:28 PM
chuckie669
Intermediate

I bought the car with 60k and I'm guessing it had not been cleaned to this point. I started doing the ranger method after my clutch pedal have me a scare and seemed to lose pressure ( best I can explain). I found that it can be replicated by depressing the clutch pedal at an extremely slow speed. pumping the clutch stiffens it back up and normal driving does not cause the issue ( seemed to get me in stop and go traffic)

after about three bottles the fluid looked clean and issues seemed to go away. fast forward about 1k miles and my clutch pedal has stuck to the floor after replacing the gm clutch assist spring ( original was broke I had found).

I can still replicate the issue with a slow depression of the pedal and pumping it ten times or so stiffens it right back up. no fluid on the ground and I had the car on a lift the other day. it has the cleanest, driest undercarriage of any gm I've owned. this is my 15th car or so.

hope I didn't typo. cellphone is hard to write on.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:28 PM
bumble-z
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by janky
I get the occasional pedal-stuck-to-floor problem when driving hard, I at some point plan to replace the OEM master with a Tick adjustable based on lengthy research on this forum and elsewhere. Seems to be the cure-all for that particular problem, assuming the slave cylinder is functioning normally and the fluid isn't toast.
Smart move.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:49 PM
janky
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bumble-z
Smart move.
I would order it now, but I still have boxes of parts sitting in my office to be installed. Figure I should catch up before digging in any further on mods
Old 03-11-2013, 08:07 PM
chuckie669
Intermediate

I had heard the mc was revised in 01, tho I can find nothing right now to validate. was hoping a oem unit taken care of by keeping fluid clean would be a solution, but really sounds like the tick product is Leaps and bounds better than stock.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:12 AM
Dave_2003_TRZ06
Racer

chuckie, just based on your 2nd to last post, really sounds like an MC. FYI...The driverside wheel and fender liner have to come out to change the MC, taking the driver seat makes access under the dash much easier as well...I will tell you from experience after swapping two MCs prior to the Tick, I'd rather had done it right in the 1st place
Old 03-12-2013, 10:31 AM
chuckie669
Intermediate

thanks for your post. guess I'll be looking at the tick mc. is 305 about standard price. I've seen that consistent across a few sites.

my biggest concern is bleeding the clutch. I've never had much experience with hydraulics so it's new to me. looks like they have decent install instructions though.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:43 AM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave_2003_TRZ06
chuckie, just based on your 2nd to last post, really sounds like an MC. FYI...The driverside wheel and fender liner have to come out to change the MC, taking the driver seat makes access under the dash much easier as well...I will tell you from experience after swapping two MCs prior to the Tick, I'd rather had done it right in the 1st place
I installed my Tick MC without removing any body parts. The only real problems were making absolutely sure you have the drilling template positioned perfectly, and re-installing the pedal assembly, due to my size, and lack of flexability. The "Ranger method" is great for maintenence purposes, but it won't fix a sticking pedal for long, if at all.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:31 PM
johnson-rod
Melting Slicks

Received 367 Likes on 260 Posts

GM Parts House can supply the MC. No body parts need to be removed to get at and replace the MC. The 'quick disconnect' to the slave can be a challenge. It's easier to get to from below and even then it's a biotch. Squirt WD40 to get it's attention.

BE SURE to bench bleed the MC before putting it on. The quick disconnect allows you to present a fully charged MC to the slave line. You have to move the lines from the old MC to the new MC anyway.

Be sure to turn the MC completely to lock into the firewall. This can be a challenge since there is so little room to get a good grip on it. I used a small 4" C clamp as a hand hold to get a good grip on it. It screws into the firewall like the top of a pickle jar. There are no bolts.

BTW - the MC is plastic so don't bang it around or squeeze it too much.
Old 03-12-2013, 03:35 PM
Dave_2003_TRZ06
Racer

Originally Posted by zeevette
I installed my Tick MC without removing any body parts. The only real problems were making absolutely sure you have the drilling template positioned perfectly, and re-installing the pedal assembly, due to my size, and lack of flexability. The "Ranger method" is great for maintenence purposes, but it won't fix a sticking pedal for long, if at all.
How did you get the old MC out without removing the inner fender liner? Or is that an access cover? I just thought it was a part of the liner. I don't see anyway to get to the old MC with that in place though.

Pic from install thread with stock Mc already out (driverside wheel well view)

Good thread on the Tick

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...nder-pics.html

Tick comparison for the OP, much better unit than the OEM junk

Last edited by Dave_2003_TRZ06; 03-12-2013 at 03:45 PM.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:28 PM
bumble-z
Le Mans Master

By reaching from above. (I'd rather remove the excess panel.)

However, when installing the Tick, I suggest taking the (7) or so small screws off to get the excess panel off & getting a clear line of sight of where the clutch M/C lives.....as in your helpfull picture.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:22 PM
chuckie669
Intermediate

good pics and write-up. thanks for the post. just ordered my tick mc from Bobby . excited to get it going again. not excited to have to mess with clutch pedal in the cabin.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:25 PM
bumble-z
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by chuckie669
good pics and write-up. thanks for the post. just ordered my tick mc from Bobby . excited to get it going again. not excited to have to mess with clutch pedal in the cabin.
Take your time.
It's not that bad.
Remove your drivers seat, makes things easier & to get to.

Get notified of new replies

To clutch master question

Old 03-12-2013, 06:04 PM
Dave_2003_TRZ06
Racer

Originally Posted by bumble-z
By reaching from above. (I'd rather remove the excess panel.)

However, when installing the Tick, I suggest taking the (7) or so small screws off to get the excess panel off & getting a clear line of sight of where the clutch M/C lives.....as in your helpfull picture.
lol...no way that would work with my arms and hands removal of the panel was my only option..The removal and re-installation of the clutch pedal assembly was the only real PITA on whole install....having the drivers seat out helps and removing that plastic panel/cover from under the dash.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:12 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave_2003_TRZ06
lol...no way that would work with my arms and hands removal of the panel was my only option..The removal and re-installation of the clutch pedal assembly was the only real PITA on whole install....having the drivers seat out helps and removing that plastic panel/cover from under the dash.
Now that I see pictures, you may be right about removing the panel. I've done so many mods, and scraped so many knuckles; I must be getting memory selective.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:48 PM
chuckie669
Intermediate

anyone in south Houston lol...

guess it wouldn't hurt to lookup the wobbly seat fix while I'm doing this

Quick Reply: clutch master question