C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Codes C1232H & C1233H - 99 Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 10:32 AM
RLDVLT1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Codes C1232H & C1233H - 99 Corvette

I have the following corvette and have received the codes listed below:

1999 Corvette Convertible
6,300 original miles
6 Speed
Includes Active Handling System

Receiving Codes:

C1232H LF Wheel Speed Circuit Open or Shorted
C1233H RF Wheel Speed Circuit Open or Shorted
C1277H Requested Torque Signal CKT Malfunction

After researching the forum I am not sure what direction to go as to repairing this issue.

I appears that these are related to the front wheel speed sensors.

Which of the following should I do?

1.) Send my EBCM to the ABSFIXER?

2.) Replace both front wheel speed sensors?

3.) Test Grounds?

If I recall correctly from when I had to replace a wheel speed sensor on a 19995 Corvette that I had the wheel speed sensors can only be replaced on my 1999 Corvette by replacing the entire wheel hub assembly?

Any assistance or input is greatly appreciated!
Old 02-23-2013, 10:51 AM
ToddsZ06
Intermediate

Always start with the eaisest and least expensive. GROUNDS and CONNECTORS. take them apart use dielectrec grease when re connecting. Espacially when both speed sensors come on at the same time. You will have to get under the car for some of those connectors. the wire harness for the wheel sensors comes off of the drivers side lower engine close to the fire wall. and runs past the headers to the front left wheel 18" harness at the connector then goes under the front of the engine up to the BCM thats where it joins the right wheel sensor. Mine were burnt against the header.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:59 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

As I understand the "H" means an historical problem. You should have "C" (current) or "HC" code if it is both. Does everything seem to work ok? If so, delete the "H" codes and see if anything comes back. I have had similar issues with no apparent problems.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:58 PM
BigGun
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
Some codes will always show as H with the ignition off. For example codes related to emissions cannot be C with the engine off. H simply helps in the OP's case to identify that there was a problem with the wheel speed sensor. If the problem is intermittent then deleting the codes simply erases the audit trail of the problem. If there is a real problem the code will come back once you drive the car. It is possible to pull codes while the engine is running. In the case of the above codes, they might show up as current (C) if they get set and you pull the codes BEFORE shutting off the ignition.

To the OP,

The wheel speed sensors themselves almost NEVER go bad. typical problems are with the wires getting broken or more often the connectors developing corrosion. Jack the front of the car and remove the wheels. Examine the wiring to make certain nothing has been cut. Separate the connector halves and examine and clean the pins as needed. It may be necessary to tweak the pins slightly to insure contact when the two halves are connected.

Clear the codes and then drive the car. Before you shut off the key, pull your codes again.

Also as an FYI, ABS Fixer can only repair the EBCM if you are showing code C1214. His web site specifically states that. Your codes don't qualify for his repairs.

Additionally he can only repair 2001 - 2004 EBCM's. He does not accept 1997 - 2000 EBCM's. Again refer to his website for more info.
And don't pack the connectors with dielectric grease. It is an insulator and can make the problem worse. The connector prongs should be clean and dry. A little grease on the outside of the connector would be okay.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:02 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

Thanks 8Vette7 (aka Chuck). It is always nice to have your experienced input.
Old 02-24-2013, 05:51 PM
Vetteatlast
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problem with my 2000 coupe , I was getting a 1232 code, I was asking around on this forum and someone suggested that I try switching the 2 wheel sensor leads and sure enough I got a 1233 code , so I paid about 80 bucks for a new lead and all is well.! Much better than trying to find a new EBCM
Old 02-25-2013, 08:00 PM
RLDVLT1
Advanced

Default Codes C1232H & C1233H - 99 Corvette

I sure appreciate all of the helpful advice and information. Also thank you to Bill C. for his input.

I previously tried to clear the codes but they came back again last Fall before I stored the car.

I took a look in the garage with my flashlight and determined that I am not able to get to the necessary areas until I pull the car out of storage since it is tucked up tight to the back corner of my garage.

With the weather here in Michigan I would hope to pull it out of the garage in early April and immediately work on checking out the pin connectors.

I am sure glad that likely it is not the EBCM but if it had been I could get at that to remove it which is the direction that I thought that I was heading prior to posting this thread.

Thank you again to everyone on the forum for their help and I will post my results when I work on it.

Get notified of new replies

To Codes C1232H & C1233H - 99 Corvette

Quick Reply: Codes C1232H & C1233H - 99 Corvette