C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spark Plug REVISED

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 08:48 AM
nmacdonald
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark Plug REVISED

Sorry guys but I'm kinda in a pinch. I have 6 out and the two on the driver's side have me a bit perplexed. Do I have to take the air pump or diaphragm off to get to the second from the last plug? Also, I have new MSD black wires, do the OEM heat shields need to go back on using those wires.

I appreciate it. I'm learning.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:30 AM
Firstorlast
Instructor

Just remove the two bolts that connect the air tube to the exhaust manifold and gently manipulate it out of your way. Make sure you have a swivel head socket too, it makes life sooo much easier.

I did it in less than 2 hours and it was my second time changing plugs on a car. You can do it just relax and take your time.

Also double and triple check the wire connections they will fool you. especially the side that connects to the coil pack, they seem like theyre on but if you push a little harder theres one more click.

Also be careful with the wire placement on the back drivers side plug (hardest one) because if not manipulated just right it will rest on the metal air tube which gets extremely hot.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:35 AM
Firstorlast
Instructor

Just remove the two bolts that connect the air tube to the exhaust manifold and gently manipulate it out of your way. Make sure you have a swivel head socket too, it makes life sooo much easier.

I did it in less than 2 hours and it was my second time changing plugs on a car. You can do it just relax and take your time.

Also double and triple check the wire connections they will fool you. especially the side that connects to the coil pack, they seem like theyre on but if you push a little harder theres one more click.

Also be careful with the wire placement on the back drivers side plug (hardest one) because if not manipulated just right it will rest on the metal air tube which gets extremely hot.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:45 AM
ToddsZ06
Intermediate

also if you have an actual sparkplug socket, on the back of the socket there are flats to use an open end wrench, some times that is eaiser than a rachet. Just FYI.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:09 PM
JW Motorsports
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 265 Likes on 253 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'19,'22

This should help

http://www.iammoon.com/c5tech/c5_plugs.htm
Old 02-23-2013, 01:01 PM
bighank
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Default I just tied the hoses near #7 back and only needed a swivel socket on #7

Did not have to remove air pump or anything else. Got a $5 swivel socket at Autozone and used it on #7 which is the one nearest the firewall. Was able to get the wires and hoses out of the way while working on the last plug. Used RED GM wires and replaced the RF shields (tin cans) on the new plugs and wires.
Old 02-23-2013, 02:21 PM
nmacdonald
Instructor

Thanks to everyone for the feedback, suggestions and links. I managed to get it all done - not confessing as to how long it took - and it fired right up and ran great. It's pretty wet outside so haven't taken it out yet, but it sounds better and idles much smoother.

Found out the plugs were NGKs so they've definitely been changed before. But whoever put them in cranked on 'em pretty hard. Most of the wires came off in my hands. So definitely time to replace them.

Again, thanks so much. Y'all are great!!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Spark Plug REVISED

Quick Reply: Spark Plug REVISED