C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help: Seat back flop and seat bottom "shift" NOT rocking seat.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 08:59 PM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,263 Likes on 1,186 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

Default Help: Seat back flop and seat bottom "shift" NOT rocking seat.

So about 9 months ago I picked up some used Caravaggio Sport Seats. Seats are much nicer than stock sport seats from a seat perspective, but I'm having a few issues. First off, the seats tracks were worn out when I bought them, so they have already had the "rocking seat" fix done to them, the two issues I have are something else.
Hey, I came across a post you made a while back on the forum about there being different solutions for seat issues:

1. The backs of the seats flop forward significantly more than my stock seats did. I've found posts stating that earlier year seats had a weaker spring than the later year (my stock were 03, I don't know what the Caravaggio are based off of), and I'm thinking this might be the issue for this. Is there any way to fix/improve? Can I change out the springs that hold the seat back or add stronger ones?

2. The seat base still seems to shift a little bit on hard braking or when I push the clutch in while stopped. I initially thought maybe the seat was coming loose from the track, but all the bolts look tight. Also, when I was looking under the seat, there seems to actually be some play in the seat track mechanism itself. It's irritating enough that I'm actually contemplating buying a brand new GM track for the driver's side, but am trying to confirm if this will fix the problem before spending a lot of money on it.

Any advice?
Old 02-22-2013, 02:23 AM
Rookieracer
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 197 Likes on 118 Posts

I suspect we may have the same problem. I traced mine down to end play in the transmission/ball screw assembly for the tilt portion of the seat. I've got some video and photos I'll post tomorrow.
I removed the seat and tracks, mounted them to a couple of 2x4s, c clamped the whole thing across the forks of a forklift and then elevated it about 6 feet in the air so I could stand under it and observe where the movement was actually coming from.
Unfortunately, it appears the only solution is a new track a$$embly.
Old 02-22-2013, 04:31 PM
Rookieracer
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

As far as I can tell there are no serviceable items available to fix these issues. I purchased a new seat track assembly from GM to fix mine. I'm in the process of machining some new parts to repair my old one.

Last edited by Rookieracer; 02-22-2013 at 04:57 PM.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:32 PM
Rookieracer
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Video of the seat tilt mechanism on a memory seat.
http://s1325.beta.photobucket.com/us...936da.mp4.html

Last edited by Rookieracer; 02-22-2013 at 11:34 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Help: Seat back flop and seat bottom "shift" NOT rocking seat.

Quick Reply: Help: Seat back flop and seat bottom "shift" NOT rocking seat.