C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shredded the serpentine belt on the way home tonight.

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 07:52 PM
dave89gta
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Shredded the serpentine belt on the way home tonight.

At first I thought I was running over some debris and it was hitting the quarter panels, then I thought maybe the tire threw a tread or something. By the time I got home (couldn't stop on the highway, ~6 miles) it was making some unholy noises.

Car has 46,xxx miles and I've put less than 300 on it since I bought it last month.

Any chance this isn't the balancer? I've seen threads about the tensioners or pulleys wearing, so I guess that's where I'll start the investigation. The HB didn't look separated or wobbly, but the rubber was bulging a little bit between the pulley and hub.

Old 02-14-2013, 08:20 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Pull the rest of the belt off and see if any of the idlers are messed up. Also, check the PS, water pump and alternator to see if they rotate OK. You can fire it up with the belt off for a few minutes and watch the grooves in the balancer. It's likely OK if they run smoothly with no wobble. Also, check that the front of the balancer inner and outer parts are lined up. It almost looks like the balancer outer ring has walked forward pulling the belt off the other pulleys as it moved.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:38 PM
Blitzkrieg
AKA "The CLOWN"
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
Pull the rest of the belt off and see if any of the idlers are messed up. Also, check the PS, water pump and alternator to see if they rotate OK. You can fire it up with the belt off for a few minutes and watch the grooves in the balancer. It's likely OK if they run smoothly with no wobble. Also, check that the front of the balancer inner and outer parts are lined up. It almost looks like the balancer outer ring has walked forward pulling the belt off the other pulleys as it moved.
But also want to add that it would be a good idea to replace the balancer as they are junk and may fail sooner or later. Summit sell some better than stock for about $200

Pay close attention to the idler pulleys, bearings may be shot!
Old 02-14-2013, 09:59 PM
dave89gta
Instructor

Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg
But also want to add that it would be a good idea to replace the balancer as they are junk and may fail sooner or later. Summit sell some better than stock for about $200

Pay close attention to the idler pulleys, bearings may be shot!
Yeah, I understand the benefit of preventive maintenance. I'm just interested in getting the car back to drivable though, since I don't have space to work on it. The balancer is kind of an involved job for my situation. I'll check out the pulleys and HB this weekend.

Thanks for the replies!
Old 02-16-2013, 12:31 PM
dave89gta
Instructor

Well I took the belt off and checked the idler, tensioner, PS, alternator, and water pump pulleys. They all move freely with next to no play front-to-back.

I also started the car for a few minutes and took a look at the balancer. I saw no wobble in it, but I did notice the rubber was bulging out a decent amount. I rested my finger on the front lip of the balancer as it was spinning and it felt fine. However, when I moved my finger to the rubber bonding, it was bouncing around, meaning the rubber wasn't consistent to the face of the balancer. I think this is probably my culprit, which really sucks at this point.

Video of spinning HB:

Old 02-16-2013, 01:06 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

It looks ok. I couldn't see any run-out or wobble in the pulley grooves, the inner and outer parts are lining up at the front and the AC belt is still OK.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:12 PM
dave89gta
Instructor

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
It looks ok. I couldn't see any run-out or wobble in the pulley grooves, the inner and outer parts are lining up at the front and the AC belt is still OK.
Well that was my first feeling, but I couldn't find another culprit. I really don't want to put another belt on just to have it tear apart again. But I also don't like throwing parts at a problem (especially one like the HB).

Last edited by dave89gta; 02-16-2013 at 01:18 PM.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:24 PM
bumble-z
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

While the belt is off, take a couple of measurements & write them down in regards to where the HB sets at this point.

Mean while, I'd change out the tensioners & put on a new belt.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:26 PM
bumble-z
Le Mans Master

While the belt is off, take a couple of measurements & write them down in regards to where the HB sets at this point.

Mean while, I'd change out the idler/tensioners & put on a new belt.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:26 PM
Old Horsepower
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can you see what brand of belt that was? May have just been a cheap replacement. I would change out both A/C and serpentine with Goodyear Gatorback or other high quality belt and see how that works.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:27 PM
Blitzkrieg
AKA "The CLOWN"
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by bumble-z

Why would he need a new belt? That one looks fine!
Old 02-16-2013, 01:36 PM
dave89gta
Instructor

Good call. I'll do that and monitor it.

Why the tensioners? They swing and spin freely.

Originally Posted by Old Horsepower
Can you see what brand of belt that was? May have just been a cheap replacement. I would change out both A/C and serpentine with Goodyear Gatorback or other high quality belt and see how that works.
It's a Dayco, labeled: GM 12572188 6PK2030 Dayco 20-9472

I guess I can get a cheap belt to put on and monitor it every time I drive while I wait for a set of Gatorbacks to arrive. If it shreds right away I know something else is wrong. If it doesn't, I'll switch it out and keep it as a spare.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:58 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by dave89gta

It's a Dayco, labeled: GM 12572188 6PK2030 Dayco 20-9472

I guess I can get a cheap belt to put on and monitor it every time I drive while I wait for a set of Gatorbacks to arrive. If it shreds right away I know something else is wrong. If it doesn't, I'll switch it out and keep it as a spare.
That GM part number tells me it's almost certainly the original belt and a good starting point for the culprit.

Go with Gators. In the meantime, if you're not willing to go with PMs now, I'd be keeping a close eye on the tensioner and idler pulleys from now on.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:17 PM
bumble-z
Le Mans Master

"Why the tensioners?"

Because your car is 12 years old & you have no idea if they have been changed out.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:20 PM
sean.b
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

have to agree.. could have just been a shot belt to start with. cheaper to get a belt than have a mechanic even glance at it, so start there. its not throwing parts at a problem if you're pretty sure its the problem.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:22 PM
egrand333
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

"Why the tensioners?"

Because your car is 12 years old & you have no idea if they have been changed out.
The tensioners loose tension over time. When my car starting throwing belts replacing the tensioner fixed it.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:29 PM
sean.b
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by egrand333
The tensioners loose tension over time. When my car starting throwing belts replacing the tensioner fixed it.
i love these forums. makes sense, simple enough, but i didnt know/think of that.

Get notified of new replies

To Shredded the serpentine belt on the way home tonight.

Old 02-16-2013, 02:40 PM
dave89gta
Instructor

"Why the tensioners?"

I wasn't being a smartass, and I'm for preventive maintenance when it's warranted. I just like to know I'm not replacing a perfectly good part with a new (maybe not even as good) replacement.

Anyway, thanks for the help, all. I'll make sure to update this thread with the results.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:59 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,341 Likes on 1,093 Posts

Is it just me, or does that belt look a little narrow?? I replace my belts a couple of years ago, and installed Daycos. They are wide enough to completely fill up the width of the pulleys.
Old 02-16-2013, 03:43 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Is it just me, or does that belt look a little narrow?? I replace my belts a couple of years ago, and installed Daycos. They are wide enough to completely fill up the width of the pulleys.
I noticed the same thing. It appears to me that the belt is shredding/disintegrating along both edges, hence the "narrowing".

Quick Reply: Shredded the serpentine belt on the way home tonight.