C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust leak from X Pipe to Catback

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 01:56 PM
jgump
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Exhaust leak from X Pipe to Catback

Any ideas on how to cure this? I have the same leak on both sides were the X pipe connects to the catback.

I'm thinking new gaskets and using copper sealant on each side. I also may belt sand both surfaces to try and make them flatter.

I installed XS Power headers to my Ti Catback two years ago and has been leaking from day one. I did use new GM gaskets. To me it locks like two surfaces on not flat, or maybe my catback is cocked.

Old 02-10-2013, 02:02 PM
RonSSNova
Safety Car

Received 322 Likes on 263 Posts

Looks like one or the other flanges is not flat. I had to sand my catback, they were warped. I also have the XSPower setup.
Permatex orange silicone or any high temp sealer will work. Those GM gaskets are expensive, you might be able to re-use yours.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:17 PM
jgump
Drifting

Good deal. I just wanted to confirm what I was thinking. The gaskets should be ok, maybe 2K mile on them.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:18 PM
jgump
Drifting

From looking at it without taking it apart it looks like the catback maybe warped.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:24 PM
printmanjackson
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

belt sander works great
Old 02-10-2013, 07:31 PM
Quicksilver Vert 01
Tech Contributor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Use two OEM gaskets on each flange connection, and coat both sides of each gasket with copper sealant.

Your old gaskets will be fine to reuse, so you will only need two more new ones.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:46 PM
NukeC5
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Quicksilver Vert 01
Use two OEM gaskets on each flange connection, and coat both sides of each gasket with copper sealant.

Your old gaskets will be fine to reuse, so you will only need two more new ones.
I used copper gasket maker to fix the leaks from this area. Its holding up fine.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:24 PM
onlyavette
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is what we did for a friend who kind of has an OCD issue with this problem.

First we flattened both flanges. We then cut two 1" long pieces of stainless pipe, split them length wise and ground the edge until they press fit into the axle back. We welded the split back together to make a ring that fit inside the axle back and mid pipe. We pushed half the length inside the axle back pipe and tact welded them in three places. You have to make sure they will fit inside both pipes. We had to do a little grinding and smoothing to make sure they fit into all four pipes by 1/2" when bolted together. We had new gaskets but did all of this because we wanted to be sure it never leaked again. That was about 4 years ago and about 4 tear downs ago and it has never leaked a drop.

It may be overkill to some but different situations have different requirements.

I just let mine leak because from what I can see it is just condensation that collects there overnight. I have had a good look at them with the engine running and couldn't detect any exhaust leaking out.

Last edited by onlyavette; 02-10-2013 at 10:27 PM.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:43 PM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----
Received 341 Likes on 281 Posts

"IF" you belt sand make sure you be careful on the Titanium side and use plenty of good ventilation and mask for particulates!

Or use Copper Hi-Temp gasket sealer - that will work for sure!

Thanks,Matt
Old 02-10-2013, 11:05 PM
jgump
Drifting

Originally Posted by onlyavette
This is what we did for a friend who kind of has an OCD issue with this problem.

First we flattened both flanges. We then cut two 1" long pieces of stainless pipe, split them length wise and ground the edge until they press fit into the axle back. We welded the split back together to make a ring that fit inside the axle back and mid pipe. We pushed half the length inside the axle back pipe and tact welded them in three places. You have to make sure they will fit inside both pipes. We had to do a little grinding and smoothing to make sure they fit into all four pipes by 1/2" when bolted together. We had new gaskets but did all of this because we wanted to be sure it never leaked again. That was about 4 years ago and about 4 tear downs ago and it has never leaked a drop.

It may be overkill to some but different situations have different requirements.

I just let mine leak because from what I can see it is just condensation that collects there overnight. I have had a good look at them with the engine running and couldn't detect any exhaust leaking out.
Yes I get the condensation drip when the car sits at idle.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:28 AM
steven31371
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by madmatt9471

Or use Copper Hi-Temp gasket sealer - that will work for sure!

Thanks,Matt
Thats what I used, coated both sides of the oem gasket with it, then bolted everything back up....no leaks.

I also bought the 3" sealer band clamps from pep boys, slathered them in that same High Temp Gasket maker, and got rid of those C clamps that came with the system for the slip fit mid-pipe connection

was leaking there before too, not now.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:19 AM
Cybermind
Melting Slicks

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Quicksilver Vert 01

I've done this numerous times. Using two gaskets usually solves this issue. This also depends on the gasket quality. Some gaskets are better than others.

Or, buy gaskets with the embossed raised copper bead. It increases sealing pressure on the inside diameter of the pipe. These are excellent for sealing imperfect surfaces. They cost a little more but are completely worth it.

PS: I wouldn't worry too much about condensation drips. This does not necessarily mean that you have a leak. But, black soot does which is the case with the OP.

Last edited by Cybermind; 02-11-2013 at 07:22 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Exhaust leak from X Pipe to Catback

Quick Reply: Exhaust leak from X Pipe to Catback