C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grinding in 3rd and 4th after new tranny

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 09:41 PM
99frcstein
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grinding in 3rd and 4th after new tranny

So i pulled the tranny after 4th gear syncro broke an rebuilt it, upgraded to stell shift fork, bronze pads, new 3rd/4th syncro assembly and all that. put it back in hok everything up take it for a spin an everything seems fine when shifting slow or 3k and below, when try to shift at high rpm or faster than normal only in 3rd and 4th it grinds in gear. so im thinking the stock master is not enough for the oz700 clutch and its a H/C/I car. also i put royal purple fluid in which ive heard good and bad but ill be switching it soon. any ideas would be great. thanks for reading and any help
Old 02-07-2013, 11:44 PM
chevy406
Tech Contributor

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

Probably not your master cylinder if you only have the grinding in 3rd and 4th. Sounds like there was probably some worn parts that didn't get addressed during the rebuild. Or else some internal clearance issues.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:34 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

FIRST THINGS FIRST!!!!!!!!!!! Is your CLUTCH properly disengaging at high engine RPMS. Put the car in FIRST gear. Press in the clutch fully and Rev it up to 50000-5500 RPM See if the car tries to move!

Jack up the rear end and do the same. See if the rear wheel spin with the clutch fully depressed. It shouldn't.

If it does, you can have shifting issues in various gears.

The very first thing that I would do is re bleed the clutch and make SURE that all the air is out of the system.

BC

Last edited by Bill Curlee; 02-08-2013 at 12:36 AM.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:09 PM
99frcstein
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i hope its not a tranny problem inside cause its a PITA to get it all out, ill try the clutch test an see hopefully its some air or weak master, thanks for the help guys!

Get notified of new replies

To Grinding in 3rd and 4th after new tranny

Quick Reply: Grinding in 3rd and 4th after new tranny