C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TT new couplers what about bearings?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 04:43 PM
Zo39
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TT new couplers what about bearings?

I am going to replace the torque tube couplers with new rubber parts from GM or BMW? What about checking-replacing the bearings and plastic center dowel in one of the couplers? One of the steel dowels on the prop shaft is worn out of round from the bad coupler. Thanks, TLN Zo39
Old 02-03-2013, 05:52 PM
NukeC5
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes! Replace everything when you are in there! You will be pretty far into it anyways. The bearings and slinger are not that expensive and will be a great peace of mind for another 10 or so years. They will have to be pressed off and on by a trustworthy shop.
I made the call to rebuild the whole thing when upgrading to poly couplers and Im glad I did! The bearings were not an issue before, but we found allot of slop in them and they needed the replacement.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:17 AM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

You can get the whole kit from Turn One Steering in either GM or their kit (BMW).

And, can anyone explain to me why we need the slinger on sealed bearings??
Old 02-04-2013, 06:21 AM
SKF engineer
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm not that familiar with the layout in the torque tube and it does seem redundant to have both slinger and a seal. However there are times when we use a medal ring around the shaft near the bearing to either provide protection from large debris for the seal or as a means of protecting the seal/bearing from some heat. In this case both seem odd since it is within the tube but as I stated I'm not 100% familiar with the design.

The bearings themselves should last the life of the car however it is a good idea to replace them because the grease inside of the sealed bearing has a limited life. Replacement will be cheap insurance to ensure a longer grease/seal/bearing life.

Can I ask how many miles or what noise your vette was making to make you pull the torque tube?

Last edited by SKF engineer; 02-04-2013 at 06:23 AM.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:52 AM
NukeC5
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check out RPM Transmission for a complete kit too.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:47 PM
Zo39
Navigator

This 2001 Zo6 was bought from a insurance company as a total wreck for a drivetrain, suspension, interior donor to a 39 Chevy Coupe project. When I got it [4 months ago] all the body panels were removed and I drove it. The car ran and drove great without noise or vibration. The Torque Tube was taken apart to lenghten it 7.5". The couplers looked real bad for 58000 miles. Thanks, TLN Zo39
Old 02-05-2013, 02:02 AM
Last C5
Safety Car

Originally Posted by NukeC5
Oh good grief I meant go to RPM for the rebuild kit not Turn One.
Thanks NukeC5, we old guys need a little help now and then.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:19 PM
willig72
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NukeC5

Only if you want quality parts that fit and work by a company that knows what they are doing.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:11 PM
bontrager
Pro

Originally Posted by Last C5
You can get the whole kit from Turn One Steering in either GM or their kit (BMW).

And, can anyone explain to me why we need the slinger on sealed bearings??
I called Turn One Steering and they don't have the "kit" in question???? Said that they do not sale these parts.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:09 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Originally Posted by bontrager
I called Turn One Steering and they don't have the "kit" in question???? Said that they do not sale these parts.
My error (see post above). I meant RPM Transmissions has the kits. I was working in the shop installing a new Turn One pump and I got my wires crossed. My apologies.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:32 PM
chevylad
Pro

I have the older style TT (99) and the tube itself had to enlarged a little to fit RPM's TT couplers. This is not a big deal at all since there is a lot of material there to grind, but there is another TT coupler made of polyurethane that is slightly smaller.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:56 PM
Zo39
Navigator

I emailed RPM today and they said the rebuild kit was $375 plus shipping and included 2 couplers, 3 bearings and a slinger. I forgot to ask what type of couplers they were.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:30 PM
bontrager
Pro

Originally Posted by Last C5
My error (see post above). I meant RPM Transmissions has the kits. I was working in the shop installing a new Turn One pump and I got my wires crossed. My apologies.
No problem and thank you for your response.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:42 AM
Last C5
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Zo39
I emailed RPM today and they said the rebuild kit was $375 plus shipping and included 2 couplers, 3 bearings and a slinger. I forgot to ask what type of couplers they were.
$375 would make them the BMW couplers. The GM couplers from RPM run the kit up to about $550. I've seen both couplers side by side and they are identicle except for the markings.

Get notified of new replies

To TT new couplers what about bearings?

Quick Reply: TT new couplers what about bearings?