C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My review of installing the Hinson Diff/Tranny Mount

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 01:22 PM
ttz
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1999_TRC
So on the surface, one might think Hinson is the problem, but in reality, people like you are the problem. There is no incentive for suppliers to provide quality, fit, etc, if guys are willing to butcher their cars, to make parts fit.
Are you on drugs?
The following users liked this post:
Arctic Vette (12-24-2015)
Old 02-08-2013, 02:47 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

I had to hone out the slots on the cradle to get my Pfadt to line up too. When I was installing it, I called Pfadt, and they even sent me a new chrome center piece, but it fit exactly the same. Of course, they denied ever hearing about poor fitment, and to be honest, it was no big deal. I've never heard about the Hinson, but I've got no complaints about the Pfadt; a quality part that does a good job. It doesn't eliminate wheelhop, even though I also have an ECS trans brace, and mine doesn't add any vibration, because I installed the diff brace with silicone pads cut from an old intake coupler. In cold weather, this combo can still be made to hop, (actually driveline shake) but it's smooth as silk in moderate to hot temperatures.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:57 PM
IRON MAIDEN
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by zeevette
I had to hone out the slots on the cradle to get my Pfadt to line up too. When I was installing it, I called Pfadt, and they even sent me a new chrome center piece, but it fit exactly the same. Of course, they denied ever hearing about poor fitment, and to be honest, it was no big deal. I've never heard about the Hinson, but I've got no complaints about the Pfadt; a quality part that does a good job. It doesn't eliminate wheelhop, even though I also have an ECS trans brace, and mine doesn't add any vibration, because I installed the diff brace with silicone pads cut from an old intake coupler. In cold weather, this combo can still be made to hop, (actually driveline shake) but it's smooth as silk in moderate to hot temperatures.
So you swapped the outer poly pads for a softer pad? Are the pads bolt on?
Old 02-08-2013, 11:06 PM
sami85L98
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have hinson motor mounts....sold it, it was easy install not a problem.....but i had to agree with OP, it should be 25-50 bucks range, 150 bucks is quite a coin for that simple design...QC definetly needs attention.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:23 PM
123sugey
Dig
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 759 Likes on 515 Posts

Originally Posted by IRON MAIDEN
Is your car a track or DD? Do you have opinions on the Pfadt?
My Z is a street strip warrior running a best of 10.30 @ 135 NA.
A little more vibration on the street but it does not bother me. The Pfadt is a nice piece of art looking at it and while doing better for me as far as reducing wheel hop
Old 02-09-2013, 06:49 PM
neverstop
Melting Slicks

Received 108 Likes on 102 Posts

anyone have any thoughts on the effectiveness of the hinson mount vs. the pfadt mount? comparisons on noise/vibration?

i'm trying to cure the wheel hop in my 425whp m6 c5 and am probably going to buy one of these to install when I put in some Bilstein rear shocks.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:35 PM
NukeC5
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by neverstop
anyone have any thoughts on the effectiveness of the hinson mount vs. the pfadt mount? comparisons on noise/vibration?

i'm trying to cure the wheel hop in my 425whp m6 c5 and am probably going to buy one of these to install when I put in some Bilstein rear shocks.
The Pfadt mount was designed with wheel hop in mind. The Hinson is just a solid factory style mount.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:48 PM
neverstop
Melting Slicks

I'd imagine that anything that stiffens the drivetrain though should help with wheel hop and I'm concerned with the noise/vibration feedback i've heard about the pfadt piece. I would imagine the hinson piece helps with wheelhop but I could be wrong?
Old 02-09-2013, 09:49 PM
neverstop
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by sami85L98
I have hinson motor mounts....sold it, it was easy install not a problem.....but i had to agree with OP, it should be 25-50 bucks range, 150 bucks is quite a coin for that simple design...QC definetly needs attention.
why did you remove and sell the hinson piece? did it not work properly in some way?
Old 02-24-2013, 03:14 PM
JuicedH22
Racer

From an engineering perspective, I believe it is fair to say both will function as an improvement over the oem unit (for drivetrain stiffening). I do think the pfadt is a better engineered design as it uses 'tq arms' essentially to help distribute the load (ever notice the c6 has 2 mounts, one on either side, this does the same thing). That being said, I bought hte Hinson piece because 1) I got it as a 'package' with the motor mounts, which I am a big fan of over the solid mount competition and they come in a reduced height configuration 2) As expensive as it is, it is still cheaper than the Pfadt unit by almost $200.
Old 02-24-2013, 05:43 PM
silver408z
Drifting

Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

I personally have the pfadt mount. Had it for about a year and I initially had a vibration that would start about 2100 rpms under part throttle. Under wide open throttle there was no vibration that I noticed. I just got my car back from the shop and having a new clutch installed and the vibration is gone. I am happy with my pfadt and would not take it out for another product. I dont know if there modifications that had to be peformed during the install because I had a shop install it.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:48 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by IRON MAIDEN
So you swapped the outer poly pads for a softer pad? Are the pads bolt on?
No. I added thin pieces of laminated silicone cut from an old chunk of intake coupler between where it's metal on metal where the Pfadt mount bolts to the rear cradle. No vibration, and noticable stiffer anti-roll. IMO, the Pfadt mount in NOT a substitute for the ECS type trans brace, but a nice addition. Also, be aware that you have to add shimming to the end pads, to make sure they're tight to the cradle also.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:56 PM
Pfadt Racing
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by silver408z
I personally have the pfadt mount. Had it for about a year and I initially had a vibration that would start about 2100 rpms under part throttle. Under wide open throttle there was no vibration that I noticed. I just got my car back from the shop and having a new clutch installed and the vibration is gone. I am happy with my pfadt and would not take it out for another product. I dont know if there modifications that had to be peformed during the install because I had a shop install it.
Hey guys, I wanted to quickly say thanks for the recommendations in this thread. Not looking to poach the thread, just wanted to echo silver408z's remarks about installing our mount, having a vibration, then swapping the clutch and the vibration is gone.

This is actually pretty common and we like to stress the point that this mount, nor any of our mounts are ever the SOURCE of a vibration. With that said, if you had a vibration that was already there, and you install our mounts, this will NOT mask it like your OEM ones did. Our mounts will not fix anything that is slightly out of balance.

Glad to hear you found the source of the vibration, and hopefully people can continue to see the performance you gain from our polyurethane mount system.

Thanks guys!

-Blair
Old 03-09-2013, 01:04 PM
ttz
Racer

I finally took the vette out yesterday with the new mount. There is a definite difference in shifts as far as tranny/differential movement. So its a nice product in that, but I think anything stiffer than stock would help quite a bit. All in all, it works, yes, but the quality is well below par. Worth $200? No, not at the current quality and simplistic design. Worth $100? Yes.
Old 03-09-2013, 03:34 PM
neverstop
Melting Slicks

nice. thanks for the feedback. it's amazing that essentially the same piece for my old 5.0 mustang was like $30 and super high quality.

how much did the hinson piece help with wheelhop?
Old 03-30-2014, 12:40 PM
fastrob691
Instructor

i was just reading this thread after a minor fiasco with PFADT mount. I found one of the last ones in the country, paid more than retail to get it new, and it was shipped without the mount. It came with just the brace. I returned it to the vendor(still waiting on refund but hopefully they get it right as its been over a week and im getting frustrated).

I had no choice but to go Hinson. Im guessing they listened to you and revised the design along the way. My studs were the same length as stock, everything lined up, it was a 100% plug and play part, no bending, cutting, drilling of any kind.

I'm happy even though i wanted the PFADT, circumstances being what they are the Hinson was a great replacement. I just got a set of their engine mounts in and ill tackle that soon.
Old 03-30-2014, 03:36 PM
IRON MAIDEN
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by fastrob691
i was just reading this thread after a minor fiasco with PFADT mount. I found one of the last ones in the country, paid more than retail to get it new, and it was shipped without the mount. It came with just the brace. I returned it to the vendor(still waiting on refund but hopefully they get it right as its been over a week and im getting frustrated).

I had no choice but to go Hinson. Im guessing they listened to you and revised the design along the way. My studs were the same length as stock, everything lined up, it was a 100% plug and play part, no bending, cutting, drilling of any kind.

I'm happy even though i wanted the PFADT, circumstances being what they are the Hinson was a great replacement. I just got a set of their engine mounts in and ill tackle that soon.
You can still find the Pfadts. Just watch the for sale threads or post up a WTB thread. I just picked one up for $250 off the forum that looks like new, has the supplied shims, both end pads, and both main poly bushings (1 hard/1 soft).

Get notified of new replies

To My review of installing the Hinson Diff/Tranny Mount

Old 03-30-2014, 10:35 PM
Johnny wangwang
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

I just installed the pfadt motor mounts brand new from summit 500 miles ago/a week ago. They make the car vibrate a little more. But its nothing crazy at all. Anyone who complains about it vibrating the little more that it does is sensitive!

The pfadt mounts work great. But when I gottem out of the box the first thing I thought when I saw them was "I really paid $230 shipped for these?!?!" They look like something that could be made for waaaaaaaaaay less money.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:07 PM
luke87gt
Pro

elongating cradle holes? yikes, not what I wanted to hear.

I received my Hinson mount last week.

The thing looks absolutely hideous, like a pre-schooler's play-dough project. But it certainly is solid.

If this mount requires any cutting/elongating, it's NOT going in, no way.
Old 04-23-2014, 05:36 PM
NukeC5
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by luke87gt
elongating cradle holes? yikes, not what I wanted to hear.

I received my Hinson mount last week.

The thing looks absolutely hideous, like a pre-schooler's play-dough project. But it certainly is solid.

If this mount requires any cutting/elongating, it's NOT going in, no way.
You shouldnt have an issue. I remember it being a tight fit, but it will go in fine.

Quick Reply: My review of installing the Hinson Diff/Tranny Mount