C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Tender Purchase Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 03:53 PM
DA1984VETTE
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts

Default Battery Tender Purchase Question

I have read the reviews on both the cetek and the battery tenders and both seem to have favorable reviews. As always price is always a factor in everything. I was thinking about purchasing this battery tender for my optima red top battery in my 98 vette. I went out to start mine and the battery was dead. The battery showed no voltage, I charged it with another battery in parallel with my optima for an hour as per a you tube video by optima. The battery after an hour of charging showed a voltage reading of 12.1 volts. I will either take it off the charger around 11:00 tonight or leave it charge overnight (as per their video). Any opinions on this charger?

Deltran Battery Tender/.75 Amp 12 Volt 4 stage fully automatic microprocessor controlled Battery Tender junior battery charger.

Last edited by DA1984VETTE; 01-28-2013 at 03:57 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:10 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Default BatteryMINDer

Model 12248 Charger, Maintenance Charger and Desulfator all in one.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:52 PM
Roc87
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I own 4 battery tender jrs; 1 for the vette, 1 for my GN which I switch off every now and then for a pair of RV batteries (in parallel), 1 for my F250 (pair of batteries also in parallel), and 1 to move back and forth between other "toys". I work out of town 2 weeks a month, which kills off the batteries in the Vette and the truck pretty quick. Before the battery tenders, the vette would go through a battery every year, this last battery made it 5.5 years. For less than $30 a piece shipped off the auction site, I really can't complain.
Can't comment on the Ctecs...
Old 01-30-2013, 04:13 PM
OptimaJim
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

DA1984VETTE, I'm glad to hear the parallel charging technique successfully recovered your battery. As for chargers, I'm partial to our own, but there are plenty of good options on the market. The best chargers are microprocessor-controlled and will have specific settings for AGM batteries. “Gel” or “Gel/AGM” charger settings should be avoided, as they may not fully-charge non-gel batteries and could damage them over time. If you have any questions about our products, I'll do my best to answer them.

Jim McIlvaine
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries, Inc.
www.pinterest.com/optimabatteries
Old 01-30-2013, 04:50 PM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

I had two battery tenders go up in smoke, one I thought had taken the car's computer out. Never again. And the first time it went up in smoke (literally, the smell was putrid) I sent it back under warranty since it was only a few months old, the cost for them to inspect and ship back was within a few dollars of the original purchase price. What a sham.

Have been using the CTEK ever since. My battery tenders (I still have two) are used for paper weights.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:04 PM
FKING1
Safety Car

Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts

Ace Hardware has a very inexpensive one.
Buy on-line at their web-site and pick up at a store,
I have one and it works fine , same as the 2 Deltrons I have.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:12 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

CTEK is decent. I have 2 and dad has one. Unfortunately, dads quit working but he got a replacement free on the 3-year warranty. The only downside I can comment on is that if I connect it onto too large a battery it never goes into "tender" mode and keeps the high charging voltage (about 14.4V) on the battery which boils the battery.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:06 AM
superjet701k
Pro

Here's the one I have it works great. 190650401613 eBay
Old 01-31-2013, 04:14 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
CTEK is decent. I have 2 and dad has one. Unfortunately, dads quit working but he got a replacement free on the 3-year warranty. The only downside I can comment on is that if I connect it onto too large a battery it never goes into "tender" mode and keeps the high charging voltage (about 14.4V) on the battery which boils the battery.
Have not run into that. Maybe I should try it on the BMW since the battery is huge.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:59 AM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Well, the charger says up to 120Ah batteries. It's a big deep cycle battery rated maybe 160Ah or something like that. The battery is older and isn't in great shape I'm sure but it takes a charge. Still, the Ctek charger won't switch from the bulk charging to the maintain mode.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:58 AM
Crosis
Drifting

Received 420 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by vettenuts
I had two battery tenders go up in smoke, one I thought had taken the car's computer out. Never again. And the first time it went up in smoke (literally, the smell was putrid) I sent it back under warranty since it was only a few months old, the cost for them to inspect and ship back was within a few dollars of the original purchase price. What a sham.

Have been using the CTEK ever since. My battery tenders (I still have two) are used for paper weights.
I have also had 2 Battery Tenders fail in a few weeks. The current one never brings the battery (red top) up to full charge. Not sure if thats a battery issue or not but yeah the battery tenders kinda suck.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:08 AM
william43
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
Well, the charger says up to 120Ah batteries. It's a big deep cycle battery rated maybe 160Ah or something like that. The battery is older and isn't in great shape I'm sure but it takes a charge. Still, the Ctek charger won't switch from the bulk charging to the maintain mode.
I was thinking about getting one,cause my car will be sitting 4 about 5 months by itself,and nobody will be home,I'm a little hesitated to leave it when nobody is here. So i was thinking i would disconnect the battery which i think would be ok. Whats the out come.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:16 AM
pcbunn
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have used Schmuacher tenders for many years, cost about $40 at Auto Zone. Fully sealed and automatic. Check out their web site as they manufacture many different types of chargers and have info there on them all.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:34 PM
Rx7Rob
Drifting

Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts

I have the Schmuacher (sp?). Mine started boiling batteries about a year ago.

My take away was that NONE of the tenders are reliable enough to leave connected w/o keeping an eye on it.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:47 PM
william43
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Rx7Rob
I have the Schmuacher (sp?). Mine started boiling batteries about a year ago.

My take away was that NONE of the tenders are reliable enough to leave connected w/o keeping an eye on it.
That's to me is like leaving a stove on and leave for months.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:00 PM
pcbunn
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well just to be clear: I have 5 Schmuacher Model SE-1-12S connected full time to both my Corvette, Ford Lighting, motorcycle,JD tractor and Gator and both my lawn mowers. Never had a problem with overcharging as this model is the 1.5amp charger/maintainer. Maybe I've just been lucky! I'm sure that there are other good brands to choose from so just do your homework and choose one that fits your price point. But don't by a maintainer that charges at over 1.5amps and be sure it has a circuit that prevents it from overcharging. Then you should be OK.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:57 PM
sereneDelusions
Instructor

Originally Posted by OptimaJim
The best chargers are microprocessor-controlled and will have specific settings for AGM batteries. “Gel” or “Gel/AGM” charger settings should be avoided, as they may not fully-charge non-gel batteries and could damage them over time. If you have any questions about our products, I'll do my best to answer them.

Jim McIlvaine
I have used an Optima yellow top for years now...works great. I own a CTEK charger and occasionally use a charger (don't know the brand) my dad had for his boat. That charger has options for charging voltage, temp, and battery type. I've been using the Gel/AGM charger setting and that is incorrect? Should I avoid a charger that doesn't explicitly have an AGM battery setting?

Get notified of new replies

To Battery Tender Purchase Question

Old 02-01-2013, 12:50 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,390 Likes on 14,024 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I have been using a Deltran Battery Tender Plus on my car for years. Works great in keeping the battery fully charged when the car is sitting for a while.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:11 PM
OptimaJim
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

sereneDelusions, we've tested most of the popular models on the market and the recommendation from our engineers is to avoid any setting that references “gel,” even if it also says AGM. I don't know which chargers with those setting caused issues, but I know it was enough of an issue for some that they told us to steer folks clear of those settings entirely. You don't need to avoid the charger, just avoid using those settings in favor of regular lead-acid battery settings.

I've seen comprehensive recommended charger lists from other AGM battery manufacturers that read like VCR instructions and they'll void your warranty if your charger doesn't meet their requirements. We're not that strict with our warranty coverage, but folks should know bargain basket battery maintainers probably aren't worth their low prices. They tend not to have as many safeguards and may not properly regulate voltage or amperage.

We're confident enough in the performance of our chargers, that we add a year of warranty coverage on batteries purchased from us at the same time as the charger and we would encourage all Optima owners to leave our charger (and soon to be maintainer) connected to their battery as long as they like.

Jim McIlvaine
Old 02-01-2013, 07:04 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by OptimaJim
sereneDelusions, we've tested most of the popular models on the market and the recommendation from our engineers is to avoid any setting that references “gel,” even if it also says AGM. I don't know which chargers with those setting caused issues, but I know it was enough of an issue for some that they told us to steer folks clear of those settings entirely. You don't need to avoid the charger, just avoid using those settings in favor of regular lead-acid battery settings.

I've seen comprehensive recommended charger lists from other AGM battery manufacturers that read like VCR instructions and they'll void your warranty if your charger doesn't meet their requirements. We're not that strict with our warranty coverage, but folks should know bargain basket battery maintainers probably aren't worth their low prices. They tend not to have as many safeguards and may not properly regulate voltage or amperage.
That's why I got a BatteryMINDer 12248. Among other things, it has three separate settings for "AGM, "Gel" or "Flooded". I also got the temperature compensating probe for it as well. Plugs into the unit so it monitors ambient battery temp while it works.

Rugged, reliable. Been a good unit for me.

Quick Reply: Battery Tender Purchase Question