C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 HUD problem?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 08:55 PM
glorysword
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 HUD problem?

My name is Ed, just purchaced 1st. vett.2003 having problem with HUD no page no dimmer,unit shows full screen bright but no speed etc.like it is frozen any ideas I;m thinking switches?
Old 01-22-2013, 08:56 PM
glorysword
4th Gear

Thanks
Old 01-22-2013, 09:58 PM
KenShores
Burning Brakes

I don't know the exact connections, but I would think there would be a connector/connection problem. If you still have dimming control, however uneven it may be, I would think the dimmer is separate control line from a data line connection. These cars are known for wiring problems. There may be a grounding issue associated with the HUD itself to earth ground. Do you get 0 for speed? Do you get the tach bar graph along the outside of the display area? MPH or RPM anywhere on the display? Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will joint in.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:03 AM
glorysword
4th Gear

Thanks KenShore,it does get 0 speed and yes all graphics are luminated,but no dimmer or page,it looks like frozen on for lumination.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:21 PM
KenShores
Burning Brakes

Wish I knew more so I could help. I work with electronic instruments and many use LCD displays. Usually they just fail (don't light up). If you are getting the basic display but no live updates in information then, it sounds to me, as if the circuits that send data to the display are malfunctioning. This may be one of the many "computer" modules in the car, But I would think there is only one that takes the gauge information and translates/sends to the LCD/HUD.

Have you learned how to pull up codes through the DIC? If not, it's easy and doing a search on DIC codes here should get you a procedure/listing of codes. They are cryptic, but you will learn. This my show a computer/module that may have lost communications.

Below is a copy of the procedure to enter Diagnostics (pulling DIC codes) sitting in the driver's seat of your car. It's valuable info for a vette owner. Many here will help you with problems if you can identify them with the DIC codes or error codes that may/will appear during this procedure. I don't have a good listing of the codes handy, but I know you can find them on this forum. You can run this on your car just to find out things going on. Almost fun to do.

Also try searching for posts that deal with adding a HUD if it was not installed as an option originally. You may find part/module info there.

Good Luck. I hope someone will jump in with better info for you.

To enter the Diagnostic Display function perform the following steps in order:

1. Turn ON the ignition switch, engine OFF.
2. Press the RESET button to acknowledge any warning messages present.
3. Press the OPTIONS button on the Driver Information Center (DIC) and hold.
4. While holding the OPTIONS button press the FUEL button 4 times within a 10 second period.
5. System will first enter automatic display mode followed by the manual display mode.
The automatic display feature allow you to read each module DTC display function in an automatic display sequence. Each system module DTC will be displayed for 3 seconds followed by a 1 second pause before the next DTC is displayed in an automatic sequence. If no DTC information is sent to the IPC from the system currently displayed on the IPC, the IPC will display NO CODES for that system. At any time during the automatic display function, the manual display feature can be activated by pressing any button on the DIC except the E/M 5 button. The E/M 5 button is used to completely exit the DIAGNOSTICS mode at any time. If there is a communications problem between any system, the IPC will display NO COMM when the IPC is trying to communicate with that system. When all DTCs have been displayed for all systems, the IPC will display NO MORE CODES for 2 seconds then will enter the manual display mode, waiting for manual mode operation.

The manual display feature allows you to manually select each module DTC display function. The manual mode will automatically be entered after the automatic DTC display sequence is complete, or can be entered at any time during the automatic mode by pressing any button on the DIC except the E/M 5 (E/M 5 button is used to exit the DIAGNOSTIC mode at any time). When the manual mode is selected, the IPC will display the MANUAL DIAGNOSTICS mode message for 2 seconds, or until any button on the DIC except the E/M 5 is pressed. After the MANUAL DIAGNOSTICS mode message is displayed, the IPC will display the first system abbreviation and quantity of codes stored for that system, then the IPC will wait for further instructions. The buttons on the DIC provide the following functions when operating the on-board diagnostic feature in the manual mode:

DIC Button Function

FUEL 1 Previous DTC
GAGES 2 Next DTC
TRIP 3 Previous System
OPTIONS 4 Next System
E/M 5 Exit Diagnostics
RESET Clear DTCs
Old 01-23-2013, 01:55 PM
KenShores
Burning Brakes

Bad news... I did a search and found one post titled "head up display". Anyway it seems as if someone had problems with the HUD and it turned out to be the projector. They had more/different problems that you describe, but mainly it would seem as if they also did not get live data displayed/updated. I have no idea the work and parts involved but you can get a feel for it by reading the post. good luck

Oh... I guess it's not really an LCD display, but plasma of some type.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:28 PM
glorysword
4th Gear

Thanks again Ken,taking the car to a dealer tue.I'll let you know.

Get notified of new replies

To 2003 HUD problem?

Quick Reply: 2003 HUD problem?