C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

belts and etc....

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 11:02 AM
brucemac64
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Default belts and etc....

Need some advice...

Taking off abs module to send off for the fix, while doing that (2001 with 79,000 miles) was considering replacing the belts and was told when doing that go ahead and replace the belt adjusters. Car is in awesome shape and want to keep it that way.... any suggestions on my idea or anything else I should replace while waiting to get my abs module back??
thanks guys, and gals
Old 01-28-2013, 11:08 AM
NukeC5
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You are at a mileage that many would consider a time to replace. But if you have no squeals from the belts, no wobble or noise form the pulleys, and no cracks or damage in any of the belts, I wouldn't worry about it.

But if your just wanting to replace serviceable parts, do the belts only. The other parts are replaced as needed.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:12 AM
brucemac64
Racer

Originally Posted by NukeC5
You are at a mileage that many would consider a time to replace. But if you have no squeals from the belts, no wobble or noise form the pulleys, and no cracks or damage in any of the belts, I wouldn't worry about it.

But if your just wanting to replace serviceable parts, do the belts only. The other parts are replaced as needed.
I have a small squeal but it was eliminated when I took a friends advice and got a bar of soap and rubbed the back of the belt, the sound went away. But the belt looks fine so I may just take your advice and leave alone, what is the actual life expectancy of a belt?? and should I put belt conditioner on it occasionally??
thanks
Old 01-28-2013, 11:10 PM
Jeff in Den
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by brucemac64
I have a small squeal but it was eliminated when I took a friends advice and got a bar of soap and rubbed the back of the belt, the sound went away.
The sound went away but the problem is still there...it will return. Replace the belt or belts..they are cheap, throw the old one in the trunk for a spare if needed on a road trip.
When you get the belts off, then inspect the tensioners.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:25 AM
brucemac64
Racer

Originally Posted by Jeff in Den
The sound went away but the problem is still there...it will return. Replace the belt or belts..they are cheap, throw the old one in the trunk for a spare if needed on a road trip.
When you get the belts off, then inspect the tensioners.
Thanks for the advice, I just ordered the goodyear gator belts that are supposed to be quieter. We will give that a try..... thanks
Old 01-29-2013, 11:23 AM
NukeC5
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by brucemac64
Thanks for the advice, I just ordered the goodyear gator belts that are supposed to be quieter. We will give that a try..... thanks
I and many others on here run those belts. They are very good and I have been without belt noise since putting them on last year.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:38 PM
n8dogg
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 327 Likes on 95 Posts

If you are a handy guy it wouldn't be a bad idea to replace the idler pulleys, your tensioner should be fine as long as it still is functioning properly. Do your self a favor and replace the belts with Gatorbacks. If you really want to do some work to the car, you could replace the thermostat or even the water pump. Both are simple to do! I'd recommend a 180* thermostat and have the fans tuned to come on 10-20 degrees cooler. I never see over 191* with my 180* stat.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:20 PM
brucemac64
Racer

Originally Posted by n8dogg
If you are a handy guy it wouldn't be a bad idea to replace the idler pulleys, your tensioner should be fine as long as it still is functioning properly. Do your self a favor and replace the belts with Gatorbacks. If you really want to do some work to the car, you could replace the thermostat or even the water pump. Both are simple to do! I'd recommend a 180* thermostat and have the fans tuned to come on 10-20 degrees cooler. I never see over 191* with my 180* stat.
thanks for the advice guys.....I will have a weekend project now when my gator belts come in tomorrow!!!!

Get notified of new replies

To belts and etc....

Quick Reply: belts and etc....