C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front caliper releasing pressure

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 10:08 PM
jbauch357
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Front caliper releasing pressure

After feeling some braking weirdness I found that I had severe pad taper on the right front due to one of the caliper slider pins being frozen in the bracket.

I replaced pads and rotors on all 4 corners, installed braided stainless lines on all 4 corners, and did new (GM OE) calipers/brackets/pins/hardware on the fronts.

Test drive showed that the pedal was very mushy on initial pump and pulled left, a quick second pump the pedal was rock hard and the car stopped great in a straight line.

Back into the garage I found that the right front caliper is releasing pressure on the rotor - so much that it takes an extra pump to get it sucked back in. We've bled this thing to death and are not getting any air out, plus with a firm foot there is no sink in the pedal - and absolutely zero leaks in the system.

Anybody have an idea WTF is going on here? Air somehow in the ABS system, faulty caliper from the factory? I'm at a loss, and the car is on jack stands - so toss out your ideas if ya have em...
Old 04-20-2011, 10:50 PM
Jnape
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Are your bleed valves on the top of the caliper? Right side on left side?
Old 04-20-2011, 11:04 PM
jbauch357
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Jnape
Are your bleed valves on the top of the caliper? Right side on left side?
yep, bleeders are on top. we installed speed bleeders, and did the flushing speed style just leaving them cracked and pumping away, then finished off the bleed with closing the bleeders like they were standard open style.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:20 PM
Jnape
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by jbauch357
yep, bleeders are on top. we installed speed bleeders, and did the flushing speed style just leaving them cracked and pumping away, then finished off the bleed with closing the bleeders like they were standard open style.
Speed bleaders leaking or not sealing is my bet.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:23 PM
jbauch357
Melting Slicks

Reviving old thread just for closure, had the system bled and worked over via Tech II at the local shop and it resolved the issue.

Get notified of new replies

To Front caliper releasing pressure

Quick Reply: Front caliper releasing pressure