C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 auto trans fluid replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 04:44 PM
jpulone
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C5 auto trans fluid replacement

Hints and procedure to change the fluid in C5 auto trans. would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:42 PM
2001yellow/redC5
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jpulone
Hints and procedure to change the fluid in C5 auto trans. would be greatly appreciated.
Get yourself a hand pump or drill driven mini pump to pump the trans oil back in. Get your trans oil in a 5 gallon container so you don't have to stop and transfer to another quart. Do some searching on the forum. You will find that your car will need to be off the ground and level. Also running at full operating temperature before you check the level.The drain/fill plug is close to the exhaust so welding gloves are a must. Becareful!!!!

Last edited by 2001yellow/redC5; 01-18-2013 at 08:39 PM.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:30 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

The ENGINE must be RUNNING while checking the transmission fluid level!!!!!!!!!!!! If you pull the plug with the engine OFF,,,,,,,,,, you will be wearing about two pints of fluid and you will NOT be able to get it back in so you will be critically LOW on fluid!!!!

Read the service manual throughly before you service your A4... It will save you about 2000 bucks!
Old 01-18-2013, 08:42 PM
2001yellow/redC5
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jpulone
Why do you feel the trans needs service. Is there an issue or problem, at a certain amount of miles?
A flush might be a better choice if you are not confident about doing the trans service.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:16 PM
Vettmann17
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Had my fluid changed out on mine at about 70K and did just a simple drain and filter change. The tech who does service for me advised against a pressure flush, which gets all the fluid out but also loosens up sediment and may cause problems. If your tranny is working well, do yourself a favor and just do the regular fluid and filter change, don't look for problems.

P.S. Have a good place do the work, your tranny is not the part of your car you want to go lowest bidder on or do yourself if youve never done it before.

Last edited by Vettmann17; 01-19-2013 at 05:19 PM.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:28 PM
C5FORFUN2
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 27 Posts

Which filter is used with the stock pan? I see they are listing both a shallow sump & deep sump. Was that an option?
Old 01-20-2013, 12:04 AM
sean.b
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

not sure on your filter, as i never saw there being multiple options. just wanted to say i did this myself having never done it before, but not being a complete jackass (i guess you never know your audience on the internet) and ill turn a 2 hour job into 8 double checking myself, taking pictures, asking others, etc.

this is NOT as bad as people make it out. it created a huge damn mess that about halfway through i was more content to just swim around in than try to avoid, so there's that, but the fluid being @ 120 wasnt THAT hot, and if you're too concerned with the exhaust, you can wrap it in aluminum foil and wear oven mitts or welding gloves.

I found the easiest pump to use wasnt the drill pump cus i didnt want my drill covered in transmission fluid. I found the little orange pump from autozone works great, or a "kerosene primer" pump from Lowes also works great. once you've drained it out and the engine is running, just pump yourself into a red liquidy mess til it starts pouring out. then pump some more in so you dont go to sleep wondering if it's enough. i made a wonderful mess, but ive done it a few times now (hard driving..) and it's never a problem.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:07 AM
RonSSNova
Safety Car

Received 323 Likes on 264 Posts

Here is the process:
1. Dump one quart of ATF under the car. Makes it a lot easier to slide under there.
2. Dump one more quart in your hair and on all over your arms. It's going to get there anyway.
3. Use something other than a drill pump......unless you find one meant for something other than water.
4. Buy the ATF in gallon jugs......

Seriously, I used a drill pump and spent more time fixing it that it took to actually fill the pan.
It really helps if you remove the left rear wheel.
When I service mine in the spring (trans was brand new last summer) I plan to add a drain plug to the pan.

Have fun!

Ron
Old 01-20-2013, 07:51 AM
sean.b
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by RonSSNova
Here is the process:
1. Dump one quart of ATF under the car. Makes it a lot easier to slide under there.
2. Dump one more quart in your hair and on all over your arms. It's going to get there anyway.
3. Use something other than a drill pump......unless you find one meant for something other than water.
4. Buy the ATF in gallon jugs......

Seriously, I used a drill pump and spent more time fixing it that it took to actually fill the pan.
It really helps if you remove the left rear wheel.
When I service mine in the spring (trans was brand new last summer) I plan to add a drain plug to the pan.

Have fun!

Ron

Get notified of new replies

To C5 auto trans fluid replacement

Quick Reply: C5 auto trans fluid replacement