C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Navy & army knowledge online web site

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 02:25 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,584 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Default Navy & army knowledge online web site

Military and DOD Brothers and Sisters.

Yesterday, I found out that the Navy Knowledge Online Center

https://wwwa.nko.navy.mil/portal/home/

has a DYI tab that has all sorts of very useful home, car and too many things to list handy technical information. The reason for writing is, I found access to ON LINE schematics and service manual repair info! You can even copy and save the electrical schematics and service/ repair information.. If you can access NKO, give it a look and get access to some excellent resources!

You have to be a verified uses but, That allows all the forum Military Service members and DOD Members that have DOD NMCI computers access to data that they can use for their vehicle.

If you have a CAC reader for your HOME computer, I bet that you can access it from home!!

Hope this helps.

Bill

UPDATE: INSTRUCTIONS for getting to the ref material:

Sign In, Look at the tabs on top of the page and find REFERENCE, click on it. Look on the LEFT side of the page at the REFF block and go down to E-LIBRARY DIY. Then go to Auto Repair Refference Center and that is where the data is. Pick your year, car & modle All the reff material for your car will show up. Some cars have a lot, some dont.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Curlee; 01-10-2013 at 04:16 PM.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:45 PM
dannyman
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Firefox is warning me that this is an unsecure/non-verifiable site.

Anyone else get this notification?

Dan
Old 01-08-2013, 10:47 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Dan

It is for sure a ligit site. I use it a lot at work.

Bill
Old 01-08-2013, 10:50 PM
Abnmarine
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info. I'll check it out when I return to work. Currently on 23 days of leave.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:25 PM
The Void
Instructor

I am not a military guy but the DoD sites often require special root certificates be installed to verify the authenticity. You would not have the proper certificate chain and recieve the warning.

If it is bothering you I'm sure you can google it and get the root/intermediate certs.... or just ignore the warning.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:43 PM
saxtonfwd
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Bill,

I have had a nKO account for many years and didn't realize you could pull this data. Appreciate the heads up.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:24 PM
Haxzaw
Intermediate

Being a retired Air Force guy, we have a similar site. I cannot access the NKO because I'm the wrong service, guess I'll have to get my son to sponsor me -- he's a Marine.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:20 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

I use NKO for required training. Didnt care much for it UNTIL a friend pointed this out. I had a really busy day today and if things smooth out tomorrow, I will detail out the way to get to the data. I figured it out and it took me a while but,, it is there. It has data for NUMEROUS VEHICLES. Some are more detailed than others but the data is there!

I also have an AKO account but since I renewed my CAC I have to get them to update my AKO account so I can get on the site and find the same info on that site.

I used the AKO site for SERE 100 training. Boy what a PAIN IN THE *** that was!!!
Old 01-10-2013, 10:21 AM
saxtonfwd
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
I use NKO for required training. Didnt care much for it UNTIL a friend pointed this out. I had a really busy day today and if things smooth out tomorrow, I will detail out the way to get to the data. I figured it out and it took me a while but,, it is there. It has data for NUMEROUS VEHICLES. Some are more detailed than others but the data is there!

I also have an AKO account but since I renewed my CAC I have to get them to update my AKO account so I can get on the site and find the same info on that site.

I used the AKO site for SERE 100 training. Boy what a PAIN IN THE *** that was!!!
I second on that SERE 100 and I have been to SERE school (many moons ago). Training each year just gets a little more harder and harder.... 9 months until I retire
Old 01-10-2013, 10:55 AM
Turbopower87
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

AWESOME find BC! It seems to have the whole 04 Service Manual in there!

I was able to find the section by typing "diy auto" in the search box at the top right of the NKO site. And here I thought NKO was only good for training.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:00 AM
saxtonfwd
Instructor

Originally Posted by Turbopower87
AWESOME find BC! It seems to have the whole 04 Service Manual in there!

I was able to find the section by typing "diy auto" in the search box at the top right of the NKO site. And here I thought NKO was only good for training.
Thanks for the sharing I PM'd Bill because I couldn't find the link, but this definitely works....
Old 01-10-2013, 03:45 PM
LoneStarLizzard
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by saxtonfwd
I second on that SERE 100 and I have been to SERE school (many moons ago). Training each year just gets a little more harder and harder.... 9 months until I retire
My son went through SERE in 2007 at Fort Bragg, NC, as a part of his admission into the Army's Special Ops helicopter unit (the 160th SOAR). His SERE school "classmates" were all Army Ranger and Special Forces types. He said it was a real mother f*3ker; they broke his nose and made him squat in a 55 gallon drum full of water - with only his nose poking out a hole in the drum's lid - for about 4 hours.

Last summer he went through it again at Fort Rucker, AL, as part of his curriculum for Army helicopter pilot training school, and all of his 'mates were butter bar ring-knockers and newly minted warrants. He said the second time through was much less strenuous, and not just because he knew what to expect. So apparently it depends, in part, on who is sponsoring the school. Go figure.

The Lizzard
Old 01-10-2013, 04:08 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by LoneStarLizzard
My son went through SERE in 2007 at Fort Bragg, NC, as a part of his admission into the Army's Special Ops helicopter unit (the 160th SOAR). His SERE school "classmates" were all Army Ranger and Special Forces types. He said it was a real mother f*3ker; they broke his nose and made him squat in a 55 gallon drum full of water - with only his nose poking out a hole in the drum's lid - for about 4 hours.

Last summer he went through it again at Fort Rucker, AL, as part of his curriculum for Army helicopter pilot training school, and all of his 'mates were butter bar ring-knockers and newly minted warrants. He said the second time through was much less strenuous, and not just because he knew what to expect. So apparently it depends, in part, on who is sponsoring the school. Go figure.

The Lizzard

Lizzard & saxtonfwd

Im just a USN Retired working for the Gov. Our SERE 100 training is just 6+ hours of on line training!

YES,, its a royal pain in the ***! SALUTE to the young service members that go thru the actual course! THANK YOU FOR SERVING!

Bill
\

UPDATE: INSTRUCTIONS for getting to the ref material:

Sign In, Look at the tabs on top of the page and find REFERENCE, click on it. Look on the LEFT side of the page at the REFF block and go down to E-LIBRARY DIY. Then go to Auto Repair Refference Center and that is where the data is. Pick your year, car & modle All the reff material for your car will show up. Some cars have a lot, some dont.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Curlee; 01-10-2013 at 04:16 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:36 AM
96mogt
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Pretty neat. I use the NKO site alot at work and I didn't realize it had any auto manuals. Good stuff. Jay
Old 01-11-2013, 12:58 AM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 475 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Haxzaw
Being a retired Air Force guy, we have a similar site. I cannot access the NKO because I'm the wrong service, guess I'll have to get my son to sponsor me -- he's a Marine.
What, the AF Portal? Good luck finding such relevant things on there. So if you know a guy in the Marines, can he somehow get you access? Legally?
Old 01-11-2013, 01:39 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

As long as you have a CAC or Active ID , you should be able to access any of the military sites. Call the HELP DESK and see if they can help you establish an account. I am/was Navy and I can access AKO cause i created an account. Remembering that great big giant password for each site sucks!!! Have to have my AKO account up dated cause I got a new CAC after my 10 year security reinvestigation was done...
Old 01-11-2013, 04:33 PM
Haxzaw
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Supercharged111
What, the AF Portal? Good luck finding such relevant things on there. So if you know a guy in the Marines, can he somehow get you access? Legally?
No, I wouldn't expect to find useful personal life stuff on the AF Portal, it's hard enough to find work/career related stuff on there. The NKO site states guests can be sponsored, so I'm assuming it will work. Seems odd that I am discriminated against because I'm AF.

Get notified of new replies

To Navy & army knowledge online web site

Old 01-14-2013, 04:02 PM
Miguel S
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default AKO info

To find this on the AKO site, look under the Self Service Tab, select My Library and the Automotive Block brings you to the ARRC.

Thanks Bill for finding this!

Last edited by Miguel S; 01-14-2013 at 04:04 PM. Reason: Missed Tab
Old 01-14-2013, 07:51 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Miguel S
To find this on the AKO site, look under the Self Service Tab, select My Library and the Automotive Block brings you to the ARRC.

Thanks Bill for finding this!
THANK YOU Miguel for getting it up to speed for the Army Brothers and Sisters.

I knew it was there but, Ive been to busy to sit down and mess with AKO to get my account going again and log in!
Old 01-14-2013, 11:20 PM
m6 c5
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Couldnt get an account made on NKO but found it on AKO, looks to be pretty valuable resource.

Quick Reply: Navy & army knowledge online web site