C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where to go with speakers/radio from here

Old 12-26-2012, 07:43 PM
srooper1980
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to go with speakers/radio from here

When I bought the car it had an old single din CD player in place of the factory radio which looked horrible.. on top of that whatever amp he had running everything he must have taken it cause the nice kenwood speakers in the doors sound horrible. It only has the two 6 1/4?? speakers in the door with the adapter plates from Double D.. I got a factory head unit for it now (i dont like the looks of the aftermarket single din)..

So I have factory head unit with nice 6.25 speakers in the door.. When I put the factory head unit in I know its still going to sound bad and probably worse than it did before.. I need to know the absolute CHEAPEST way to make it sound "ok".. do I add a cheap amp or do I buy the factory bose door speakers since they have amps already attached?? Which option works better?? Thanks guys
Old 12-26-2012, 07:57 PM
Navybluevette
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

I would check with Dennis from Double D Mods and see what he thinks.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:19 PM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 279 Likes on 256 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

You have a mess !! The factory Bose stuff is complicated-
The head unit is flat no power or very little
The door speakers have a bulit in amp mounted on the side of the speakers
the rear speakers are just plain speakers
the rear speakers are powered by a separate amp mounted behind the A/C controls in your dash
Without any of these items installed the Bose system won't sound or work worth a crap !!
1st see if you have the amp in the dash--also if all the wiring and pigtails from the stock Bose stuff is still left behind--
If all the wiring is missing --Oh boy !! nightmare
make sure you have the correct door speakers with the amp built in --and the wiring for them in the door panel left behind
report back with what you found
Old 12-27-2012, 01:49 PM
srooper1980
Instructor

All the factory wiring is in tact. The factory door speakers are gone and replaced by 6.25 with the adapters from DoubleD. There are no rear speakers at the moment. I was under the assumtion that the door speakers had the amp attached to them and not inside the door.. correct me if I am wrong. I actually dont know if the amp in the center is still there since I wouldnt know it if it bit me but im also not too concerned as I was just going to run the door speakers for now. I have read on here that the rears do very little to help with sound.. just curious if adding a small amp to the 6.25 speakers or returning to factory bose speakers would be the best bang for buck.. I am going to call Dennis shortly :-)
Old 12-28-2012, 12:22 PM
srooper1980
Instructor

Talked to Dennis as suggested. He suggested using the factory speakers in the doors and upgrade them with a Kicker 3.5" and leave the bose 8" (which I didnt even know was possible lol) and then add a set of Kicker 6.5" for the rear with a pigtail that plugs directly into the stock wiring.. he can do all that for less than I can buy the factory speakers so it sounds like a win/win situation for me

Big props to Double D Mods for the customer service and great pricing

Get notified of new replies

To Where to go with speakers/radio from here

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Where to go with speakers/radio from here