C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil pressure gauge pinned, oil pressure sensor replacement problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 11:07 PM
AntsSilverC5
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Oil pressure gauge pinned, oil pressure sensor replacement problem

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PvlDLcyXX8

Whatsup everyone...I watched this video and am trying to replace my oil pressure sensor sending unit, but am having some trouble. I got the clip that holds the sensor in place off the sending unit, I can see the sending unit on the back of the block, but I am having trouble getting the deep socket onto the unit. It looks like theres a thick hose that runs along the back of my engine block that connects to the driver side cylinder head, so I am guessing this is either an oil line or a coolant line. No where in this video does he mention anything about removal/disconnect, but I dont know if I'll have enough room to get the socket onto the sending unit if I don't disconnect this. Any ideas? I am trying to avoid having the pull the intake manifold off if possible. Thanks
Old 12-16-2012, 11:44 PM
Lothar34
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it is the one in this picture that says "stock crossover hose" then you can remove it. There's no coolant or oil in there.

Old 12-17-2012, 12:31 AM
dblerman
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

FWIW, removing the intake manifold isn't as much work as a lot of people make it out to be. Probably would have been done faster in the long run if you had pulled the manifold to begin with haha
Old 12-17-2012, 01:11 AM
AntsSilverC5
Racer

That's the hose. Does it just pull right out? What's it for? I could probably set it aside and re-connect once finished with the sending unit replacement. I toyed with the idea of the other method (cutting the plastic under the cover below the windshield wipers), but if possible, would like to avoid this.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:06 AM
Lothar34
Drifting

Originally Posted by AntsSilverC5
That's the hose. Does it just pull right out? What's it for? I could probably set it aside and re-connect once finished with the sending unit replacement. I toyed with the idea of the other method (cutting the plastic under the cover below the windshield wipers), but if possible, would like to avoid this.
It's for crankcase ventilation and I can't remember how it comes off.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:21 AM
johnson-rod
Melting Slicks

Received 367 Likes on 260 Posts

It just pulls off at the ends but the problem is getting it out after it's disconnected. Beware that inside the rubber is very fragile and expensive plastic piping. I suppose it's fragile due to the high temperature and heat cycles of it's location.

Really, pulling off the manifold is very do-able. You'll be surprised at how simple it is compared to the old cast iron small blocks. Once the manifold is out of the way the sender is right in front of you.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:57 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

Anyone here done this successfully using that video?
Old 12-17-2012, 09:41 PM
AntsSilverC5
Racer

I may give the video version another try, otherwise, I may just do the "cut" method and chop a hole in the plastic underneath the windshield wiper tray (this is covered once you re-assemble everything so you can't see the hole.) Plus I hear that this part is one of the more common failing parts on our cars; I don't want to have to pull the intake manifold if it ends up going bad again at some point.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:51 PM
dblerman
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AntsSilverC5
I don't want to have to pull the intake manifold if it ends up going bad again at some point.
Trust me, after you pull the intake manifold you're going to scratch your head and wonder why you wasted so much time NOT pulling the manifold in the first place.
Just curious why you are so adamant about not pulling the manifold.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:36 PM
AntsSilverC5
Racer

Originally Posted by dblerman
Trust me, after you pull the intake manifold you're going to scratch your head and wonder why you wasted so much time NOT pulling the manifold in the first place.
Just curious why you are so adamant about not pulling the manifold.
Not doubting you, I took a look at a sticky on removing the intake manifold and it doesn't look like a big deal, just seems like a bit much for what (in another location on the car) would be a fast swap. The other thing is I been busy at a new job and have a DD to commute in (beater civic lol), so I'm just taking my sweet ol' time on this lol. I also got an A&A kit on my car and don't feel like doing much disassemble to fix this. Will most likely be doing the cut method.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:47 PM
bstone1989
Racer

I did the cut method last night, and it was pretty easy, just make sure u cut a big enough hole
Old 12-19-2012, 01:04 PM
SteveDoten
Le Mans Master

Received 160 Likes on 125 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

if you pull the intake, have a good shop vac ready; I haven't seen one yet without a handful of sand underneath it

cutting the cowl method works, but I just can't do it.........not even to my 130,000 mile 2003 Z06
Old 12-19-2012, 07:40 PM
warlock007
Pro

Pulling the intake should run you 1/2 hour, you'll need to remove 1 10mm bolt next to oil pressure sensor to put the socket on correctly for removal and install otherwise you risk braking the top off the new switch, ask how I know!

Do not try to short cut these things they always back fire on you and end up costing a great deal more.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:00 AM
runner140*
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveDotenMotorsports
if you pull the intake, have a good shop vac ready; I haven't seen one yet without a handful of sand underneath it

cutting the cowl method works, but I just can't do it.........not even to my 130,000 mile 2003 Z06
Cutting the cowl and replacing the hole with a inspection plug like the one used in the headlight bezel.

and a set of (two) 11" long needle nose pliers. (Harbor Freight)
Very fast and easy/cheap job and a permanent inspection port.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:45 AM
spumphrey
2nd Gear

Default oil pressure gage pinned

can anybody tell me if the gage gets pinned when an oil change is needed? my "oil life" is at 7% and my oil gage is now pinned, is this a coinsadance or does the oil sending unit need replacement?
if need replacement is it a big job to replace?
Old 12-20-2012, 10:51 AM
bstone1989
Racer

Originally Posted by spumphrey
can anybody tell me if the gage gets pinned when an oil change is needed? my "oil life" is at 7% and my oil gage is now pinned, is this a coinsadance or does the oil sending unit need replacement?
if need replacement is it a big job to replace?
coincidence
Old 12-20-2012, 02:48 PM
runner140*
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by bstone1989
coincidence
Two different problems....my guess. When you change your oil, I'll bet your guage is still
pegged.

Last edited by runner140*; 12-20-2012 at 02:49 PM. Reason: add

Get notified of new replies

To Oil pressure gauge pinned, oil pressure sensor replacement problem

Old 12-20-2012, 02:53 PM
spumphrey
2nd Gear

thank you
Originally Posted by runner140*
Two different problems....my guess. When you change your oil, I'll bet your guage is still
pegged.
Old 12-20-2012, 05:00 PM
cptinjak
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SteveDotenMotorsports
Sand? I would kill for sand. Customers usually bring me **** that looks like this:

Jack
Old 12-21-2012, 06:52 AM
99 vett babycar
Melting Slicks

just did this about 3 months ago. I cut into my car. Why? well from a great number of posts it seems very likely that the POS sensor will fail again in the not to distant future, so I want a quick way to get back in there if I need to change it out again. I read a gazillion posts before deciding which way to go and went with the "cut" method. Believe me my car didn't bleed or cry when I cut it and it has completely recovered from the operation. You need the correct deep socket to do the job. Once I had the wiper arms off the car it took me 25 minutes to do the whole R&R. I patched the hole (make it big enough to get you hand thru it comfortably) in a way that will allow me to rerove the patch easily if and when the need arrises.
PS, I've pulled my intake maqnafold 3 times in the past and agree its not a big deal, I just like the idea of building a access hole for future use.

Quick Reply: Oil pressure gauge pinned, oil pressure sensor replacement problem