C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lights flickering??

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 06:07 PM
glasguydj
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lights flickering??

Has anyone had this problem?? when i turn my car on and its been running for about 5 minutes my lights start to flicker or dim. Once it starts every 5 seconds all my lights flicker for a split second. if i raise the rpm just a little and hold the rpm steady the lights dont do it and when i am driving it dont do it. only at idle i am having this problem. once i let it go back to idle it starts again. its like its on a timer, if you count to five seconds they flicker or dim for a split second then it doesnt do it for another five seconds. i replaced my headlights with the projectors and thought that might be the problem but i unhooked the power to the headlights and it still does it so it isnt the headlights. This affects every light thats on, interior and exterior. They all do it at the same excact time. also i hear a hum like my fuel pump running and when the lights flicker or dim the hum also stops at the same time the lights dim. If anyone has any suggestions i would greatly appreciate your input. thanks for anyones time!!

Last edited by glasguydj; 12-10-2012 at 06:11 PM.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:45 PM
Jumper11
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check ur grounds.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:34 PM
glasguydj
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats whats crazy, if it was a bad ground wouldnt i have a problem as soon as i turn the car on . it dont start the problem until the car is warmed up and the choke drops of and rpms lower to regular idle. if i give it gas (just alittle) and rais the rpm by 100 the lights dont do it this is what has me puzzled.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:13 PM
corpsedub
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by glasguydj
Has anyone had this problem?? when i turn my car on and its been running for about 5 minutes my lights start to flicker or dim. Once it starts every 5 seconds all my lights flicker for a split second. if i raise the rpm just a little and hold the rpm steady the lights dont do it and when i am driving it dont do it. only at idle i am having this problem. once i let it go back to idle it starts again. its like its on a timer, if you count to five seconds they flicker or dim for a split second then it doesnt do it for another five seconds. i replaced my headlights with the projectors and thought that might be the problem but i unhooked the power to the headlights and it still does it so it isnt the headlights. This affects every light thats on, interior and exterior. They all do it at the same excact time. also i hear a hum like my fuel pump running and when the lights flicker or dim the hum also stops at the same time the lights dim. If anyone has any suggestions i would greatly appreciate your input. thanks for anyones time!!
its the grounds. i had this same problem. all dash lights, headlights, fog lamps flicker. turn signal indicators on the dash would stay solid when lights where on. cleaned and put dielectric grease on the front grounds (by the headlights, see electrical sticky). problem has not returned.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:03 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Could very well be bad grounds. God knows Ive had my share of them:

BUT,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, It could also be BAD POWER connections too.

Start at the battery.. Clean and properly tighten the battery cables. They MUST be tightened to 11 ft/lbs...

Examine the statrer solenoid. the power to and from the alternator goes thru the connections on the solenoid. Check the B+ connection on the back of the alternator for being properly tight and clean.

Get notified of new replies

To lights flickering??

Quick Reply: lights flickering??