C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shifter whine

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 07:30 PM
Frans96ss
Le Mans Master

Received 352 Likes on 210 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Didnt we do the clutch install? I forget... If we did we more than likely replaced the slave which includes the TOB on it. I will have to check the invoice but more than likely we replaced it. We do 100% of the time unless told not to.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:32 PM
dizzysn
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Frans96ss
Didnt we do the clutch install? I forget... If we did we more than likely replaced the slave which includes the TOB on it. I will have to check the invoice but more than likely we replaced it. We do 100% of the time unless told not to.
Sure did! I don't remember being charged for the slave or the throwout bearing, or seeing it on the invoice, unless it comes with the LS7 kit. Or I could also just not remember at all. The sound has been slowly getting louder, which is the only reason I'm concerned.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:23 PM
Rick@RKT Performance
Supporting Vendor

Received 147 Likes on 111 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by dizzysn
Sure did! I don't remember being charged for the slave or the throwout bearing, or seeing it on the invoice, unless it comes with the LS7 kit. Or I could also just not remember at all. The sound has been slowly getting louder, which is the only reason I'm concerned.
Bring it by the shop and I can pin point where it's coming from.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:40 AM
Atok
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

That sounds like transmission whine. Probably gets louder with more torque right? My '03 makes the same sound under heavy load and always has.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:50 AM
dizzysn
Pro

Originally Posted by Atok
That sounds like transmission whine. Probably gets louder with more torque right? My '03 makes the same sound under heavy load and always has.
It does, but it's still making the sound after a new transmission. Turns out I needed a new trans for other reasons, but the sound has never went away.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:09 AM
1sickz51vette
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just had my complete T56 rebuilt, and when I'm downshifting into a LOWER gear only it makes this whining/spinning noise as well like something winding up. It's as soon as you begin to press it into gear it starts making the noise wether the clutch is engaged or not (once in gear), only seems to be 1st and 2nd though (the lower gears). I was looking at the syncronizer's and it appears they have clutch like material on them, and my guess is I'm hearing them spinning or winding up to allow you to downshift into a lower gear? However it does not whine (that i can hear) once actually engaged in gear. When you have your level 3 trans build did they change the second gear? I hear straight cut gears will wine?
Old 12-13-2012, 09:17 AM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Location: Central PA. - - My AR15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Received 522 Likes on 387 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

You say this happens 'In All Gears', but, have you tried when you're in 4th, 5th or 6th (4th = direct drive, 5th and 6th = not using the first countershaft)? You keep alluding to the transmission, well, the only thing consistent about that with engine rpms is the first countershaft. In 4th, you're not driving through any gears, and in 5th and 6th, you're not driving through that front half of the tranny.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:10 PM
3sACROWD
Melting Slicks

Received 449 Likes on 330 Posts

My car exhibits the same sound. Mine seems to be rear diff related. I replaced throw out bearing, slave cylinder, master cylinder, torque tube bushings and bearing, and tranny. Sound was there before and after all the work.

My car is parked for the winter so I cannot experiment with it to answer questions.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:37 PM
dizzysn
Pro

Originally Posted by 1sickz51vette
I just had my complete T56 rebuilt, and when I'm downshifting into a LOWER gear only it makes this whining/spinning noise as well like something winding up. It's as soon as you begin to press it into gear it starts making the noise wether the clutch is engaged or not (once in gear), only seems to be 1st and 2nd though (the lower gears). I was looking at the syncronizer's and it appears they have clutch like material on them, and my guess is I'm hearing them spinning or winding up to allow you to downshift into a lower gear? However it does not whine (that i can hear) once actually engaged in gear. When you have your level 3 trans build did they change the second gear? I hear straight cut gears will wine?
The transmission was built before it was sent to me, with all new internals. The whine was happening with the old one, and it's happening with the new one as well.

Originally Posted by K-Spaz
You say this happens 'In All Gears', but, have you tried when you're in 4th, 5th or 6th (4th = direct drive, 5th and 6th = not using the first countershaft)? You keep alluding to the transmission, well, the only thing consistent about that with engine rpms is the first countershaft. In 4th, you're not driving through any gears, and in 5th and 6th, you're not driving through that front half of the tranny.
It is extremely noticeable in 1, 2 and 3. 4th and up you can still hear it if you know what to listen for, but not as much. Sorry if I seem to be alluding to the transmission, but I know that isn't the culprit. It happened with the old transmission and it's happening with the new transmission. The old trans was going out on me anyway which is why I had initially assumed the sound was related to that, but with the new one in there (which has resolved all my transmission issues) it's still making the sound so I'm sure it's not that.

Originally Posted by Rick@RKT56
Bring it by the shop and I can pin point where it's coming from.
Might have to take you up on that one weekend Rick, thanks!
Old 12-13-2012, 03:04 PM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

It is extremely noticeable in 1, 2 and 3.
Starts sounding like something associated with the input shaft and 1/2/3 counter.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:30 PM
dizzysn
Pro

Starts sounding like something associated with the input shaft and 1/2/3 counter.
There's a new input shaft in the new transmission though.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:08 PM
cptinjak
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1sickz51vette
That is what synchros do. They are essentially clutches that speed up the mainshaft to spin in sync with the counter shaft. Once you engage the selector hub, the synchro is no longer slippng to match the speeds. It is locked to that specific gear.

If you rev-match well, you can downshift without making the synchros do the work. The reason you don't hear them during up shifts is that the gear ratios are spaced such that the rpm falling will generally put the counter shaft speed very close to the mainshaft speed, and the hub can fall in much easier.

Jack
Old 12-13-2012, 06:13 PM
cptinjak
Burning Brakes

The transmission was built before it was sent to me, with all new internals. The whine was happening with the old one, and it's happening with the new one as well.

It is extremely noticeable in 1, 2 and 3. 4th and up you can still hear it if you know what to listen for, but not as much. Sorry if I seem to be alluding to the transmission, but I know that isn't the culprit. It happened with the old transmission and it's happening with the new transmission. The old trans was going out on me anyway which is why I had initially assumed the sound was related to that, but with the new one in there (which has resolved all my transmission issues) it's still making the sound so I'm sure it's not that.
No offense, but I think you have blinders on when it comes to troubleshooting this. I'm not saying it is the transmission or is not, but I can say for sure that you cannot know that the transmission is fine. No one can know without a doubt that a part is working properly simply because it is new. That is never a good way to diagnose things, especially something like this.

I would take a step back, accept that no one can have definitive knowledge without disassembly, and begin troubleshooting again looking at the whole picture.

Or, just take it to Rick, and let him spend an hour to tell you exactly what's happening!

Jack
Old 12-13-2012, 06:19 PM
cptinjak
Burning Brakes

I agree this is a logical assumption based on the symptoms. It is making me wish I had a detailed invoice with a description of exactly what work was done. Just brainstorming here, but what if they did something like left a slightly worn bearing race in faceplate, and installed a new bearing? Heck, if they used the old countershaft, they might have just left the entire bearing on the end. This could be very possible for a shop that is not accustomed to doing performance work, and would result in something a lot like what is being described. Bearing sound before, same bearing = same noise.

Just a thought.

Jack

Last edited by cptinjak; 12-13-2012 at 06:22 PM.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:16 AM
Atok
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cptinjak
...Bearing sound before, same bearing = same noise.
That really doesn't sound like a bearing to me. I still think it's gear noise and nothing to worry about.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:05 AM
dizzysn
Pro

Originally Posted by cptinjak
No offense, but I think you have blinders on when it comes to troubleshooting this. I'm not saying it is the transmission or is not, but I can say for sure that you cannot know that the transmission is fine. No one can know without a doubt that a part is working properly simply because it is new. That is never a good way to diagnose things, especially something like this.

I would take a step back, accept that no one can have definitive knowledge without disassembly, and begin troubleshooting again looking at the whole picture.

Or, just take it to Rick, and let him spend an hour to tell you exactly what's happening!

Jack
The only reason I say I do not believe it's the transmission is that I had it with the old transmission, and the sound never changed when it was replaced with a new one. Normally if you're having a problem with a part, replacing it will make the problem go away. I dunno, I'm more of a computer guy, than a car guy so maybe I'm applying my troubleshooting techniques in a way that doesn't apply. Not trying to sound rude and I do appreciate any any all ideas.

I think your suggestion of taking it to Rick is the best one, and what I might end up going
Old 12-14-2012, 09:59 AM
bstone1989
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had this same problem and i was told it was from the rear end not the tranny

Get notified of new replies

To Shifter whine

Old 12-14-2012, 12:58 PM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Originally Posted by bstone1989
i had this same problem and i was told it was from the rear end not the tranny
Maybe not the same problem. If it follows the engine rpms, it's not likely the rear end.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:21 PM
cptinjak
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Atok
That really doesn't sound like a bearing to me. I still think it's gear noise and nothing to worry about.
If you have a bad bearing or under/overshimmed shafts, it will affect the way the gears engage, and cause a whine.

Jack
Old 12-14-2012, 05:36 PM
bstone1989
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe not the same problem. If it follows the engine rpms, it's not likely the rear end.
really? mine only whines when I'm pressing in the gas

Quick Reply: Shifter whine