C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Orange Electronic TPMS learning?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 12:26 PM
sbulla
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Orange Electronic TPMS learning?

I recently installed new OE wheels on my '04 CE vert along with new Orange Electronic TPMS. So far I've not been able to get a single sensor to respond to the magnet learning procedure outlined here on this forum. I've tried four different magnets I had lying around my shop from an old CB antennae mag mount, one off the back of a speaker, a couple of strong bar magnets purchased from Radio Shack, and a screwdriver magnetizer. I held these magnets in multiple positions on each wheel also.

Just to make sure I ordered the right sensors, I double checked the OE Wheels web site and checked the part # with what I had and checked that with other sites that sell the Orange unit.

While I was on the OE Wheels site that I ordered them from, I noticed they had an "install" tab on the order page for the TPMS and it stated...

1. Turn ignition switch to ON position (engine off)
2. Press and hold unlock and lock buttons on the keyless entry transmitter; until horn sounds and then LF turn signal will become illuminated.
3. Starting with LF tire increase/decrease, tire pressure until horn sounds.
4. After horn sounds proceed as in step 5 for the next 3 sensors in the following order RF RR LR After completing LR tire horn will sound twice.
5. Turn ignition to OFF position to exit vehicle learn mode. Adjust all tires to pressure listed on the placard.

Well, I thought I'd try this but nothing happened while holding the buttons on my transmitter.

I, also, tried the pressure varying while in the regular learning procedure to no avail.

Any suggestions as to what to try next? I would hate to think that the tire installers broke every single sensor but, if nothing else works, I guess it's back to them to find out.

Sonny
Old 11-26-2012, 12:55 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

That procedure is wrong.

If you can't get it to learn then you either need a bigger magnet or the sensors are no good. I use a 1" x 2" x 3" ceramic bar magnet. I can hold it by the valve stem and it works no problem.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:33 PM
sbulla
Racer

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
That procedure is wrong.

If you can't get it to learn then you either need a bigger magnet or the sensors are no good. I use a 1" x 2" x 3" ceramic bar magnet. I can hold it by the valve stem and it works no problem.
If I can't find another, stronger magnet, I may just take it by a dealership and see what they can do.

Thanks,
Sonny
Old 11-26-2012, 02:39 PM
clegg
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Use this procedure copied from this site;
TPMs. 1) Turn ignition on 2) Press "Reset" button in order to clear any IPC display warning messages 3) Press and release the "Options" button on the DIC to scroll through the display options until the IPC display is blank 4) Press and hold the DIC "Reset" button for 3 seconds 5) Press the "Options" button again until TIRE TRAINING message appears 6) Press "Reset" button until the IPC "Learn L Front Tire" message appears in order to begin the programming 7) Install the J41760 Tire Pressure Monitor (TPM) System Programming Tool (large magnet will do) over the left front valve stem 8) The horn will sound, indicating the left front TPM sensor is programmed (if this takes more than 15 seconds, pull magnet back and try again, it will give you three tries. Then you must start over) 9) When the horn sounds, proceed to program the next TPM sensor in the following order as directed by the IPC messages: -Learn R Front Tire -Learn R Rear Tire -Learn L Rear Tire Programming can be canceled by turning ignition off, waiting 2 minutes with no sensors being learned, finishing all 4 wheels or through the DIC. If the programming is canceled with less than 4 sensors learned, it will only accept the codes programmed up to that point.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:41 PM
clegg
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Mine programmed with a telescoping pick up magnet.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:57 PM
PhilsFRC
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think the orange (reddish orange) sensors are OEM Schrader. Mine are the early ones-p/n 28006. Yours should be p/n 20117:
http://www.schraderinternational.com...ette&year=2004
Double check the part number-MAY be incorrect.

Last edited by PhilsFRC; 11-26-2012 at 02:59 PM.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:43 PM
Quicksilver Vert 01
Tech Contributor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by sbulla
While I was on the OE Wheels site that I ordered them from, I noticed they had an "install" tab on the order page for the TPMS and it stated...

1. Turn ignition switch to ON position (engine off)
2. Press and hold unlock and lock buttons on the keyless entry transmitter; until horn sounds and then LF turn signal will become illuminated.
3. Starting with LF tire increase/decrease, tire pressure until horn sounds.
4. After horn sounds proceed as in step 5 for the next 3 sensors in the following order RF RR LR After completing LR tire horn will sound twice.
5. Turn ignition to OFF position to exit vehicle learn mode. Adjust all tires to pressure listed on the placard.
That is not the correct procedure to program 2001-2004 TPMS sensors.

Use the procedure that clegg posted to program them. It is also outlined in your owner's manual.
Old 11-26-2012, 04:07 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,674 Likes on 1,297 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I'll bet if you take it to a tire shop, they can program them for you.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:44 PM
sbulla
Racer

Originally Posted by clegg
Use this procedure copied from this site;
TPMs. 1) Turn ignition on 2) Press "Reset" button in order to clear any IPC display warning messages 3) Press and release the "Options" button on the DIC to scroll through the display options until the IPC display is blank 4) Press and hold the DIC "Reset" button for 3 seconds 5) Press the "Options" button again until TIRE TRAINING message appears 6) Press "Reset" button until the IPC "Learn L Front Tire" message appears in order to begin the programming 7) Install the J41760 Tire Pressure Monitor (TPM) System Programming Tool (large magnet will do) over the left front valve stem 8) The horn will sound, indicating the left front TPM sensor is programmed (if this takes more than 15 seconds, pull magnet back and try again, it will give you three tries. Then you must start over) 9) When the horn sounds, proceed to program the next TPM sensor in the following order as directed by the IPC messages: -Learn R Front Tire -Learn R Rear Tire -Learn L Rear Tire Programming can be canceled by turning ignition off, waiting 2 minutes with no sensors being learned, finishing all 4 wheels or through the DIC. If the programming is canceled with less than 4 sensors learned, it will only accept the codes programmed up to that point.
That's the procedure I used. No response from the sensors with any magnet I had on hand.

Sonny
Old 11-26-2012, 05:47 PM
sbulla
Racer

Originally Posted by PhilsFRC
I think the orange (reddish orange) sensors are OEM Schrader. Mine are the early ones-p/n 28006. Yours should be p/n 20117:
http://www.schraderinternational.com...ette&year=2004
Double check the part number-MAY be incorrect.
The brand name of these I have is Orange Electronic. They're not physically the color orange. As a matter of fact, they're black.

Sonny
Old 11-26-2012, 05:48 PM
sbulla
Racer

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
You might try placing the magnet inside the barrel just behind the stem. That's how I do mine.
Tried that location with all the magnets to. No joy.

Sonny
Old 11-26-2012, 06:35 PM
PhilsFRC
Burning Brakes

Never heard of Orange Electronic and then searched:
http://www.orange-electronic.com/index_tw.html
Looks like a great CHINESE company-not that there's anything wrong with that-the wife's from Shanghai. Looking further these sensors are about half the price of the Schraders, which are in turn almost half the price of GM. You may have a part QUALITY problem. My $.02.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:47 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

The STEM of the sensor does NOTHING for the sensor except to hold it in place and allow air IN & OUT of the tire. The sensor actually have a small reed switch that gets actuated by a MAGNET or CENTRIFICAL FORCE (tire rotation ) This is what turns the sensor ON and OFF to conserve battery power when the car is not in use or to turn the sensor on when programming.

When you place the magnet on the sensor. you really need to place it ON THE RIM over the sensor where the sensor is positioned:

There TWO different sensors. 97-2000 & 2001-2004 You can NOT use one that is not for your year series C5. Did they send you an early or late mod sensor??

Do you have the early sensors or late model sensors?

Last edited by Bill Curlee; 11-27-2012 at 04:56 PM.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:53 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Here is a picture of an early sensor:

Early vs Late

If the sensors that you purchased do not operate on the same frequency as the old ones or the frequency that your RFA module operates on, the sensors will not work. If its an aftermarket sensor, it can look like a late model sensor and actually transmit the early frequency.

BC

Last edited by Bill Curlee; 11-27-2012 at 04:58 PM.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:38 PM
sbulla
Racer

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
If the sensors that you purchased do not operate on the same frequency as the old ones or the frequency that your RFA module operates on, the sensors will not work. If its an aftermarket sensor, it can look like a late model sensor and actually transmit the early frequency.

BC
These are 315 mhz. What is the receiver frequency supposed to be on my '04?

Here is the page I ordered from...

http://oewheelsllc.com/TPMS-Sensors_...ssure-Sensor_2

There has got to be something wrong because I found a VERY strong magnet today and still not a single sensor triggered the horn.

Sonny
Old 11-27-2012, 05:45 PM
PhilsFRC
Burning Brakes

Default Frequency ID

Don't know if this will help, but the ID information on my early sensors (Schrader, not yet installed) are as follows:
328006 DC
315FM 63PSI
ASIC No. 02073923
FCC ID: MRXGMG2R3FM
IC: 2546A-GMG2R3FM
MODEL: GMG2R3FM
I would assume if these codes are on yours, you have the incorrect sensors. I picked up one of these to "learn" them:
http://www.amazon.com/Schrader-20143.../dp/B004A42MZI
Old 11-27-2012, 05:46 PM
PhilsFRC
Burning Brakes

While I was posting you showed 315mhz. From the data on mine, it would appear you got the WRONG ones.

Get notified of new replies

To Orange Electronic TPMS learning?

Old 11-27-2012, 05:58 PM
sbulla
Racer

Originally Posted by PhilsFRC
While I was posting you showed 315mhz. From the data on mine, it would appear you got the WRONG ones.
What I was going by was the fact that they stated on the order page that these "replaced the oe part# 25773946" and I checked that it was the correct GM part number for my sensors.

I'll be pissed if I have to break down each tire again but, I want them to work!

Sonny
Old 11-27-2012, 06:01 PM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Location: Central PA. - - My AR15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Received 522 Likes on 387 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

The early model is wider, like the ones shown in the photo you linked sbulla. The later 01-04 is usually narrower, like the ones shown in Bill's photos. That's not to say you might not be able to buy new ones and have them look like the old style, but they look wrong to me. Mine that I bought new from Ebay looked more like the ones I took off (like yours, but my car is older).

It doesn't appear to me that you ordered the wrong ones, but, it does appear as if they have the wrong ones on that page. Might check with the place and see what they say. If you get another set, you may consider programming them before you take them to a tire shop. You can just sit in the drivers seat and make sure they're good to go before paying to have them installed. That's what I did. All 4 were ready to go before I took them in. Then, just reprogram them after installation to get the right ones recognized at the proper 4 corners of the car.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:01 PM
PhilsFRC
Burning Brakes

From what I'm reading, prepared to be pissed. I got mine from Amazon-here are yours:
http://www.amazon.com/Schrader-20117.../dp/B002GYSP8C

Quick Reply: Orange Electronic TPMS learning?