C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No brake lights - possible hazard switch issue

Old 11-20-2012, 07:16 AM
J S Machine
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17
St. Jude Knife Maker

Default No brake lights - possible hazard switch issue

I noticed about two weeks ago that I had no brake lights, so I looked up the bulb numbers for the tail lights here on the forum. I got several results with people having the same problem, and they had checked fuses / changed bulbs / etc., and in every one it was something to do with the hazard switch.

I'm thinking I may have the same problem, because my hazard switch has been acting up pretty much the entire 4+ years I've owned the car. --Turn signals don't work when I need them, and if I fiddle with the switch by pushing it in and out a few times they might work, if not a sharp whack on the dash will get it..

I think I remember somebody having and upgraded switch here? Not a factory replacement (that will just crap out again eventually), but a better one? Is there any fix to the switch itself or is it all internal stuff that we can't reach?

I've read all the threads in the sticky at the top. Wiring in a flasher isn't out of the question, but I just want to see what all the options are. Main thing is that I need my brake lights back
Old 11-20-2012, 10:27 AM
maxx2200
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When my brake lights went out it was the multi-function switch on the column. Several months prior to my MF switch failure, I too had the intermittent turn signal issue which was the flasher. You may have two problems.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:06 AM
J S Machine
Race Director

St. Jude Knife Maker

So the brake lights could possibly be tied to the multifunction switch in some way?

I have already rebuilt it once, and I really need a new one. I thought that the problem had to be coming from the hazard switch. I had no idea it could be coming from the multifunction switch.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:38 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

It's doubtful your multifunction switch (MFS) would cause all the brake lights to fail at once. The individual left and right brake/turn signal filaments are switched by separate contacts in the MFS. You are most likely going to lose brake lights on the left or right side only with a MFS failure.

The brake power for the left and right brake/turn filaments passes through a single contact on the hazard switch. If you lose both left and right brake lights but still have the 3rd brake light then the hazard switch would be my first suspect.

The 3rd brake light does not pass through either of the above switches. If you don't have the 3rd brake light then the brake light switch on the brake pedal would be my first suspect.

Now, as for the signals not working very well either. That is another unrelated issue with the hazard switch. You can either replace it or put in a hyperflash bypass harness or just install a $7 flasher relay yourself.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:45 AM
J S Machine
Race Director

St. Jude Knife Maker

Just to note I am still dtruggling with this. It is eventually going to get me pulled over.

Another thing I checked, The tail light turn signals work as they are supposed to. When i turn them on, both lights on each side light up and flash. It is only the brake tail lights that are not illuminating.

I have been fighting with the hazard switch since day one. Like I mentioned, Sometimes when I go to turn my signals on, I have to push the hazard switch on and off real quick, just to get my signals to work. It's almost like it has a constant short.

Isn't there a replacement upgrade switch for these that is supposed to work better? If so, where can I find it?
Old 02-02-2013, 09:52 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,217 Likes on 2,301 Posts

Is your center brake light working? If not check the switch on the brake pedal for function and adjustment. If it is, I'm out.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:24 AM
J S Machine
Race Director

St. Jude Knife Maker

Center is working. The pedal switch is obviously good.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:05 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
If you lose both left and right brake lights but still have the 3rd brake light then the hazard switch would be my first suspect.
As already explained, your hazard switch is bad. Just replace it, I've read something about an aftermarket one before but never about a "better" one.
Old 02-02-2013, 02:05 PM
J S Machine
Race Director

St. Jude Knife Maker

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
As already explained, your hazard switch is bad. Just replace it, I've read something about an aftermarket one before but never about a "better" one.
That's what I meant, Aftermarket.

I am Going to give TheRadioFlyer's switch a try. I guess it is made similar to JW's.
Old 02-02-2013, 02:09 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

the hazard switch is a bitch to get to...I have a new one laying in the box for YV's car....intermittent turn signal issues
Old 02-02-2013, 03:46 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Originally Posted by J S Machine
That's what I meant, Aftermarket.

I am Going to give TheRadioFlyer's switch a try. I guess it is made similar to JW's.
Last I checked they sell flasher bypass harnesses. These won't fix your problem.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:09 AM
J S Machine
Race Director

St. Jude Knife Maker

I did some searching on the fix and found several other people with the same problem here. I swear i read that this Electronic bypass will fix the issue..I could be wrong though.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:00 AM
J S Machine
Race Director

St. Jude Knife Maker

So does anybody have the part number for the hazard switch?
Old 03-30-2013, 12:26 AM
jooboyle
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by J S Machine
So does anybody have the part number for the hazard switch?
I am having the same problem. Only the HMSL works (High Mounted Stop Lamp). I changed the hazard switch in December because the turn signals only worked when I cycled the hazard switch.

I could not get an OEM hazard switch so I had to use an aftermarket. Sorry I didn't keep the box to tell you what to avoid.

But, does anyone have a suggestion on a replacement that will work more then 3 months?
Old 09-02-2013, 12:26 AM
J S Machine
Race Director

St. Jude Knife Maker

Installed a new hazard switch and it fixed the problem! I didn't think it worked at first, but sure enough, after I had the car out and driving, I saw my brake lights on the chrome bumper of a vehicle behind me.

Just updating in case anybody else searches for a similar issue.

Get notified of new replies

To No brake lights - possible hazard switch issue

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: No brake lights - possible hazard switch issue