C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Right front wheel bearing going bad

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 09:52 PM
DansBlkonBlkZ06
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Right front wheel bearing going bad

I was having a vibration during hard braking at a track day. The right front wheel bearing is shot. I bought the TimKen replacement at AutoZone. The AutoZone guy said I should replace both fronts. The left front (original stock) still feels good. Should I spend the extra money and swap out the left front too?
Old 11-19-2012, 01:35 AM
mighty mousd
Instructor

I didn't and that was over 75k ago. I spend where I have to.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:06 PM
2kbluestreak
Burning Brakes

I'm a bearing engineer and get paid enough to consider myself an expert. Identical bearings in a system do not fail at the same time given equal loads and speeds. They have a life dispersion. You should not have to replace the other side. On the other hand, the bearings are capable of a longer life than the grease that lubricates them. Time at high temperatures is what reduces the life of grease. If your C5 was tracked a lot on a road course, both front bearings and grease will have seen some high temps. Unfortunately, you cannot clean out and re-pack these bearings. If the other side starts making noise, replace it.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:29 PM
Deanos/2004/C5
Heel & Toe

Was your bearings making any unusual noises as well? For example a squeaking or rattling noise that sounded like brake drag. I have a 2004 vette, and I just replaced the pads and rotors all around. I still have a rattling coming from the front end, the brakes are great, no vibrations or squeaking, I just cannot figure out the rattling from the front end. I have taken off the center caps, retorqued the lugs and still no change. Do any of you guys have a suggestion as to what it may be?
Old 11-21-2012, 02:07 PM
BigGun
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Deanos/2004/C5
Was your bearings making any unusual noises as well? For example a squeaking or rattling noise that sounded like brake drag. I have a 2004 vette, and I just replaced the pads and rotors all around. I still have a rattling coming from the front end, the brakes are great, no vibrations or squeaking, I just cannot figure out the rattling from the front end. I have taken off the center caps, retorqued the lugs and still no change. Do any of you guys have a suggestion as to what it may be?
Yea...wheel bearing. Pull the pads and spin the wheel by hand. Should be smooth as butter. Any drag or sound and your bearing is bad.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:46 PM
Deanos/2004/C5
Heel & Toe

I had a feeling that might be the issue, I am taking tha car to the dealer on Friday, I don't have the capabilities to do this kind of work at the house.

Thanks Brother!!

Get notified of new replies

To Right front wheel bearing going bad

Quick Reply: Right front wheel bearing going bad