C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

auto transmission pan leak?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 10:35 AM
seegeer
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default auto transmission pan leak?

hi all, i replaced the transmission in my 97 auto targa and the pan keeps leaking. we cannot find any leak from the top and i was wondering if anyone has had this problem before? here is the scenario
1. transmission fluid was extremely low when i bought the car
2. overhauled the transmission
3. replaced all the seals and gaskets
4. replaced the pan
5. replaced the gasket 2x

still leaks. the biggest puddle seems to start in the right rear corner of the transmission. there was a small dent there in the pan and if i drive the car for about 30 miles it leaks but otherwise it doesnt. do you think there could be a crack in one of the bolt holes and when it gets hot it expands and leaks until the case cools? my next course of action is to silicone the bottom of the case, put on a gasket, silicone the gasket, put on another gasket, silicone the pan and then silicone around the pan. do you think this will work? im getting pretty frustrated with this and i have spent a lot of money and time on this damn transmission thus far. any help would be appreciated
thanks
Old 11-10-2012, 12:16 PM
RonSSNova
Safety Car

Received 322 Likes on 263 Posts

The pans are pretty ridgid. I am amazed that mine doesn't leak a drop. I used a rubber type gasket. No goop, and I'm normally a gooper!

When you have it off again.....and aint that fun......look real close at the case. With a new pan, and new gaskets, it doesn't sound like the pan is the issue. You did mean brand new pan, right?

You also want to make sure not to overtighten the bolts, that tends to ruin the pan rail.

One last thing, you might look into a cast alum pan from B&M. they have a thick flange. Bit you lose the sump in the middle and I assume they take a different filter.

i tell you, I hated the fill process on this thing. Might as well just pour a quart of ATF under the car and on yourself before starting.......

Ron
Old 11-10-2012, 02:57 PM
MikeV
Drifting

Right rear corner may be the lowest point. If you replace the gasket and did you overtighten it at one spot? Is one of the accumulator covers leaking and its running down in another spot? You need to get it high enough to get under it and let it run while you look for leaks. You need to tell us how much leakage. Remember the accumulator cover has an oring and it can get nicked. You refilled the system with the car up to temp so that it doesn't come out of the top vent and run down the side? Hope this helps you think of other things.

Mike V

Last edited by MikeV; 11-10-2012 at 03:02 PM.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:47 AM
seegeer
Racer

[IMG][/IMG]

Here is what the puddle looks like. I have actually taken to a dealership where i used to work because I dont have the time to work on it atm, but what they said was that it is leaking between the transmission and the diff. There is a small hole there and when the car is in gear it leaks but when its not in gear it doesnt leak? strange huh.

Get notified of new replies

To auto transmission pan leak?

Quick Reply: auto transmission pan leak?