C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another damn cam question

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 08:56 PM
Firstorlast
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=Rx7Rob;1583532568]Here's my build list for the cam swap. Get a pushrod length checker to determine the proper length. The length I came up with did not match internet recommendations. The valve train is quiet so it must have been correct.

My car fired right up after the swap. It drove ok but wanted to stall when lifting off the throttle (stock injectors). I had a three hour drive to get to the tuner (ECS) so I sent them the ECU to load up a tune to make the car drivable and allow the larger injectors to be installed.

Thanks alot, that list is exactly what I needed. What size fuel injectors did you get? I'd rather be on the conservative side (for longevity) so I guess I mean what size should I get?
Old 04-03-2013, 07:26 PM
Rx7Rob
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 86 Posts

You'll get other recommendations for some of the parts on my build list (timing chain, oil pump, and crank balancer). You'll need to decide which to go with.

My car is a 2000 and had smaller injectors (26 lb/hr) than other years. I went with the Ford Red Top injectors which I believe are rated at 30 lb/hr. Our cars have 58 psi of fuel pressure so the RedTops will flow 36 lb/hr. These injectors aren't sold anymore.

My car has barely cooled down from the dyno tune and I'm seriously considering going forced induction. If I do, my injectors will be up for sale (probably around the end of the year).
Old 04-03-2013, 07:43 PM
cvm
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Rx7Rob
You'll get other recommendations for some of the parts on my build list (timing chain, oil pump, and crank balancer). You'll need to decide which to go with.

My car is a 2000 and had smaller injectors (26 lb/hr) than other years. I went with the Ford Red Top injectors which I believe are rated at 30 lb/hr. Our cars have 58 psi of fuel pressure so the RedTops will flow 36 lb/hr. These injectors aren't sold anymore.

My car has barely cooled down from the dyno tune and I'm seriously considering going forced induction. If I do, my injectors will be up for sale (probably around the end of the year).
Sorry to hyjack,
where did you wind up going for the tune & how was it?
Remember me?

OP thx for the space & my TSP cam is fine
Old 04-03-2013, 09:34 PM
Firstorlast
Instructor

Yeah definitely doing the timing chain and I'll go ahead and put the LS7 heavy duty oil pump from corvettecentral on the list too. I'll also start shopping for fuel injectors, thanks alot.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:54 PM
Firstorlast
Instructor

Might be a dumb question, but if I were to order the spring kit first I could go ahead and install them one weekend just to get it out of the way while I wait to be able to buy everything for the cam right?? Tsp Titanium 650 kit btw.

Oh also, what size air compressor would I need to keep the valves up?

Last edited by Firstorlast; 04-03-2013 at 11:51 PM. Reason: addition
Old 04-04-2013, 04:44 PM
Rx7Rob
Drifting

You can't pull the cam with the springs installed. Get some 5/16" steel rod from the hardware store to slide in the block and hold up the lifters.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:22 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

You can't pull the cam with the springs installed. Get some 5/16" steel rod from the hardware store to slide in the block and hold up the lifters.
What? You don't need to remove the springs to swap a cam. Just the rocker arms to access the pushrods. Oh yeah, use 5/16" wood dowels, about 25" long, instead of metal. Cheap, and you can taper the end.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:53 PM
Rx7Rob
Drifting

Oops, of course you're right Zee. What the hell was I thinking.

I went with the steel rods ($3.50 at HomeD) because I was concerned the wood could swell when soaked with oil. After doing it, I saw there was plenty of room if it swelled. Just the same, I'm more comfortable using steel.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:45 AM
Firstorlast
Instructor

Oops, of course you're right Zee. What the hell was I thinking.

I went with the steel rods ($3.50 at HomeD) because I was concerned the wood could swell when soaked with oil. After doing it, I saw there was plenty of room if it swelled. Just the same, I'm more comfortable using steel.
Nice, good idea, I was going to order the rods from thunderracing but that will save me all kinds of money. Thanks.

Hell yeah boys.. gettin excited.

Oh anyone experiment with rocket thrusters on the back? Just want the option available if the cam doesnt do it for me...
Old 04-05-2013, 10:49 AM
JosephIV
Heel & Toe

Love reading about first mods and the excitement that the owner has. Congrats on the cam swap! I'm new here but also JosephIV on LS1tech. Now you've really started on the slippery slope of mods. Nitrous, nitrous, nitrous!
Old 04-05-2013, 02:39 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Originally Posted by Firstorlast
Nice, good idea, I was going to order the rods from thunderracing but that will save me all kinds of money. Thanks.

Hell yeah boys.. gettin excited.

Oh anyone experiment with rocket thrusters on the back? Just want the option available if the cam doesnt do it for me...
#2 vote for nitrous. I went with SC, but on the cheap....NOX.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:08 PM
Firstorlast
Instructor

Originally Posted by zeevette
#2 vote for nitrous. I went with SC, but on the cheap....NOX.
Yeah that would be nice to have just to have but doesnt it put a severe strain on the motor? I'm going with the 228r because my vette is a dialy driver for me.. otherwise I'd be in the 230's with a 112. So idk is NOX is for me, I don't put alot of miles on her and I'd like to have her for a long long time. So after the cam, I only plan on Intake manifold a nice polished cai, and then I want to do something about the old style wheels. Then I believe I'll be happy.. hopefully.
Old 04-07-2013, 02:55 PM
robert21122
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i just did a cam swap on my 97, go with a high pressure oil pump. i got mine from melling and there is a guy named tony from tuners inc who does a great job tuned mine friday night. i drove it from brunswick and everything was fine i did a 225/229-580/590 114lsa. it put down 360 to the wheels
Old 04-07-2013, 03:10 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

Any how to's? last I heard the ls1tech was incorrect.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:22 PM
Firstorlast
Instructor

I found this... is this the one that supposed to be wrong??

http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=1

They also have one for a camaro that helps too
Old 04-08-2013, 04:13 PM
zeevette
Race Director

I've done it 3 times, using those instructions, and it turned out perfect every time. There are places that you have to improvise a little, but if you tackle the job; you can use the forum to ask specific questions to any problems you encounter.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:26 PM
Firstorlast
Instructor

I've done it 3 times, using those instructions, and it turned out perfect every time. There are places that you have to improvise a little, but if you tackle the job; you can use the forum to ask specific questions to any problems you encounter.

Great, thanks alot. I feel ready to go... exciting. Now I'm not going to be able to sleep until I have everything.. then when its sitting in my garage waiting for a free weekend it'll probably get worse.

Get notified of new replies

To Another damn cam question

Old 04-08-2013, 09:08 PM
Firstorlast
Instructor

Oh, one more question. That tutorial is to change the heads and cam so since I'm not removing my heads I dont have to take my headers off right?.. not even to get to any of the steering assembly stuff on the drivers side???
Old 04-09-2013, 02:43 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Originally Posted by Firstorlast
Oh, one more question. That tutorial is to change the heads and cam so since I'm not removing my heads I dont have to take my headers off right?.. not even to get to any of the steering assembly stuff on the drivers side???
You might have to loosen the driver's side...I don't actually remember, but years ago I installed ARP header studs, and it's really easy for me to drop my headers. The biggest hassle is when you begin pulling the cam, and realize you need a little more room. It's there, but a tight fit. When you lift the rack , it's possible to change the pulley, cam, etc. without taking it completely out, but I like to clean up the area before reinstalling. BTW, I've always done the job on jackstands.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:49 PM
Firstorlast
Instructor

You might have to loosen the driver's side...I don't actually remember, but years ago I installed ARP header studs, and it's really easy for me to drop my headers. The biggest hassle is when you begin pulling the cam, and realize you need a little more room. It's there, but a tight fit. When you lift the rack , it's possible to change the pulley, cam, etc. without taking it completely out, but I like to clean up the area before reinstalling. BTW, I've always done the job on jackstands.
Aaaah the drivers side is the worst side.. when I put em in the ds took 5x longer the the passenger.. the ps was so easy it was like a trick in the sense that it sent you over to the drivers side with confidence...

Yeah I'll be on jackstands... I have to get a better jack though, I need to get higher, when I did the headers and exhaust I had to slide under with my face dragging on the floor it was so low. I look back and realize that I made it 100x times harder than it should have been.. not letting that happen with this.

Also wondering if anyone has done the tsp mail in tune? Theres only one place near me that does it but theyre kind of new and already have afew bad reviews on local sites so theyre out. Also told me $500. Next closest place i can find is about 3hrs away.

Quick Reply: Another damn cam question