C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

shifter/tranny

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 06:53 PM
Black FRC
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shifter/tranny

hey guys...the other day I noticed putting the car in reverse was a little stiff...car drove fine with no other issues....my wife who usually drives the car a day or two later mentioned that when shifting into 5th on the way home the shifter slid right over to reverse with no resistence at all. My question is...is there a spring or something that causes the extra effort to hit reverse when working properly and is that part under the shifter or on top of tranny...hope this makes sense
Old 10-22-2012, 09:04 PM
GySgt1811
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Shifter/tranny

H'mmm. If I remember correctly, there is supposed to be an electrical lockout that keeps the shifter from going into reverse unless the car is at a complete standstill. Check codes? Fuses?

I know mine ('99) won't travel "over there" unless I'm stopped.

Regards,

John
Old 10-24-2012, 06:05 PM
Black FRC
4th Gear

No codes...all fuses look fine...your sure it's electrical???
Old 10-24-2012, 09:35 PM
GySgt1811
Racer

You got me to thinking...so I checked my owners manual. (D'oh! ) Mine is a 6 spd manual LS1, 1999.

On page "2-31" it says,

"Your six-speed manual transmission has a feature that allows you to safely shift into REVERSE (R) while the vehicle is rolling (at less than 3 mph (5km/h)). You will be locked out if you try to shift into REVERSE while your vehicle is moving faster than 3 mph (5 km/h). If you have turned your ignition off and wish to park your vehicle in REVERSE (R), you will have to move the shift lever quickly to the right, and immediately forward into gear."

I wonder if a loose or broken connection would show up as a code?

I'm not sure any of this helps you, but it sure seems as if the reverse interlock mechanism is not working properly.

Good luck; I'd like to know how you finally resolve this.

John
Old 10-31-2012, 08:57 PM
Black FRC
4th Gear

thanks John...I'll let you know what I find out....havent done anything yet except skip 5th and go straight to 6...dont want to grind any coffee
Old 11-10-2012, 08:31 PM
Black FRC
4th Gear

hey John....got the problem fixed today, ended up being the reverse lockout solenoid....a buddy of mine has a lift and it was fairly easy to get to....passenger side up toward top of tranny....old solenoid was frozen, tap on the bench and it freed up but replaced with new one....car shifts into 5th just like always....$100 and a little time
Old 11-10-2012, 09:02 PM
GySgt1811
Racer

Fantastic!!!! I was wondering how you came out with that. Thanks for following up.

(There are sooooo many thingy's and electrical do-hickies on a C5 that's scary sometimes!)

Glad it worked,

Gunny John

Get notified of new replies

To shifter/tranny

Quick Reply: shifter/tranny