C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Used 1997 Coupe, a few bugs?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2002, 06:48 PM
Tirpitz
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Used 1997 Coupe, a few bugs?

Just bought a 97 Coupe and it has a few bugs that need to be worked out. I have done some searches on this forum and I think I now know the fixes for most if it.

1. Front turn signals flash twice as fast, but no rear turn signals. All other lighting functions (brakes, hazards, tail lights, etc...) work fine.

Fix=new hazard switch/4 way flasher under dash. please let me know if i'm off the mark.

2. Oil pressure pegged at 80 PSI on analog and 129 on DIC, even when oil cap removed.

Fix=new oil presseure sender behind intake manifold. Could a clogged PCV cause it as well?

3. remote entry FOB don't work, tryed new battery and resyncing it.

Fix=spend $115 for new one from dealership. :(

Please let me know if I am off on some of that, and any other ideas you may have. Thanks for helping out the newbie :confused:

One other thing, I read that most A4's came with 2.73's, but some had 3.15's. How can I find out what gears I got? Is there a code for that on the SPID label?

[Modified by Tirpitz, 10:55 PM 6/6/2002]
Old 06-06-2002, 09:03 PM
PeterK
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12
2012 Election Contest Winner

Default Re: Used 1997 Coupe, a few bugs? (Tirpitz)

You're right about N2. I had the same problem, dealer had replaced the sending unit, that fixed the problem - $450 paid by GMPP.

About your remote. You can pick one up on ebay for about $50-60. Just search for C5 corvette remote. Since your pressure sensors work fine, it is safe to assume that your recieving unit is Ok.

As for the gears. Look at the codes on your glove compartment lid. One of them corresponds to the performance axel option, I just don't remember which. The idaho corvette page had a good description for all them.

Just bought a 97 Coupe and it has a few bugs that need to be worked out. I have done some searches on this forum and I think I now know the fixes for most if it.

1. Front turn signals flash twice as fast, but no rear turn signals. All other lighting functions (brakes, hazards, tail lights, etc...) work fine.

Fix=new hazard switch/4 way flasher under dash. please let me know if i'm off the mark.

2. Oil pressure pegged at 80 PSI on analog and 129 on DIC, even when oil cap removed.

Fix=new oil presseure sender behind intake manifold. Could a clogged PCV cause it as well?

Fix=spend $115 for new one from dealership. :(

Please let me know if I am off on some of that, and any other ideas you may have. Thanks for helping out the newbie :confused:

One other thing, I read that most A4's came with 2.73's, but some had 3.15's. How can I find out what gears I got? Is there a code for that on the SPID label?

[Modified by Tirpitz, 10:55 PM 6/6/2002]

[Modified by PeterK, 7:07 PM 6/6/2002]

[Modified by PeterK, 7:16 PM 6/6/2002]
Old 06-06-2002, 09:16 PM
PeterK
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '12

Default Re: Used 1997 Coupe, a few bugs? (PeterK)

Found them:
If you have these - you have perf. axel
G90---Rear Axel Ratio – 3.15
G92---Rear Axel Ratio - Performance
Old 06-06-2002, 10:59 PM
97C5ENVY
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Used 1997 Coupe, a few bugs? (PeterK)

As for the gears. Look at the codes on your glove compartment lid. One of them corresponds to the performance axel option, I just don't remember which. The idaho corvette page had a good description for all them.
'97-'98 had the RPO codes under the driver's side rear compartment lid, '99-'02 have them in the glove box.
Old 06-06-2002, 11:06 PM
0TomLzzz
Former Vendor

Fix=spend $115 for new one from dealership.
________________________________________ _____________-

A member has some for sale at $40 each in the C5 Parts for sale or wanted section.
Old 06-07-2002, 12:04 AM
Tirpitz
Advanced

Default Re: Used 1997 Coupe, a few bugs? (TomLzzz)

Thanks for the help. Got the 3.15's!
Old 06-07-2002, 05:24 PM
TeeJay
Pro

Your diagnosis regarding the oil pressure sender is correct. Just a couple of months ago my analog pegged [which caught my eye] and the DIC read 140-ish. The $40 sender needs about $200 of coaxing to install. Fobs turn up everywhere, I've seen them on ebay in the range of $30. Might want to check your VIN against the column lock bulletin. Enjoy your new toy!
Old 06-07-2002, 05:45 PM
ProDesign
Racer

Your Fob may never have been programmed (not resynching) to your car. Instructions are in the owner's manual. Basically any Fob needs to be initially programmed to work with your car. You have the ability to add up to 3 fobs to the car.
Old 06-07-2002, 06:04 PM
Tirpitz
Advanced

Default Re: Used 1997 Coupe, a few bugs? (ProDesign)

I tried the programming proceedure and that didn't work, nor did the re-sync proceedure. I took it apart when I checked the battery and something on the circuit card is rattleing. I'm thinking it is bad. I'll look for one on ebay or something, thanks.
Old 06-07-2002, 06:23 PM
PeterK
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '12

Default Re: Used 1997 Coupe, a few bugs? (ProDesign)

No, I think it is the same. Once I lost my fob and all I had to do to a new one was to resynch it.

Your Fob may never have been programmed (not resynching) to your car. Instructions are in the owner's manual. Basically any Fob needs to be initially programmed to work with your car. You have the ability to add up to 3 fobs to the car.
Old 06-07-2002, 10:49 PM
ProDesign
Racer

On the key fob issue. Make sure the battery is installed correctly. Also inspect the metal contact sping tabs that go from the battery are not bent or in proper position to make contact with the printed circuit board when the case is closed. Not the best design as the contact spring can easily be bent and they are quite fragile (too much movement may break off preventing contact with printed circuit board.

In addition, the movement you are hearing in the fob is normal. The fob has a built in motion switch that in passive move will keep the unit awake to open your car as you just walk up to it. If you put the fob down for sometime the fob will sense no motion and go into sleep mode to conserve power.

[Modified by ProDesign, 9:52 PM 6/7/2002]

Get notified of new replies

To Used 1997 Coupe, a few bugs?

Quick Reply: Used 1997 Coupe, a few bugs?