C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do my rocker arms need the trunion upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 08:36 AM
NewFoundPower
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default please delete

Please delete thread, I found the answer. Thanks!

I am working on a cam swap and when I got my rockers out yesterday they looked different than I anticipated. I thought that the bearing rollers in the stock rockers were exposed and visible and that they'd rattle around if you shake the rocker, but mine are not visible and the rockers don't make any noise when shaken. However, I don't see an external snap ring - is that the key to the upgrade?

The engine is an LS6 shortblock that was installed by a dealer here in Houston under my extended warranty in early 2009 after I had the timing chain fail in my original engine. I don't have a build date for the new engine, but did GM ever change the rocker design after learning of the failures, or is this just what they look like? I have the upgrade kit and will install it if necessary, but if it's not I wouldn't mind saving a little time and money.

The car is a 2002 Z06.

Last edited by NewFoundPower; 11-05-2012 at 08:48 AM. Reason: found answer
Old 11-05-2012, 09:43 AM
NukeC5
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well are they stock or upgraded? I haven't seen a set up close yet
Old 11-05-2012, 08:26 PM
zulatr
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

those are stock, look just like the one's in my 03 Z did before I did the trunion upgrade.

if you don't have any noise issues, suggest you leave well enough alone.

check out my thread for why I say that...

http://ls1tech.com/forums/generation...installed.html

Last edited by zulatr; 11-05-2012 at 08:29 PM.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:33 PM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Received 159 Likes on 93 Posts

Just for anyone stumbling across this thread ... I would suggest you do the trunnion upgrade kit. It's only ~ $125 and IMO cheap insurance that the stock needle bearings don't take a puke and spew needle bearing inside your engine. It can happen ... "noise issue" or not.

Last edited by ZeeOSix; 11-05-2012 at 09:01 PM.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:36 AM
NewFoundPower
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the responses guys. I guess the pictures of the rockers that I'd seen in my search were only failed units with the needle rollers visible, which is why I was surprised at first when I couldn't see mine. I found the Comp Cams installation video which has a view of the rocker with the OEM bearings compared to one with the CC bearings.

I am going ahead with the upgrade - there was one thread where a rocker had failed and one or more of the needles somehow interfered with a valve spring and caused it to bind up and break. Since this is relatively easy insurance against that I'm going to do it.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:18 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Just for anyone stumbling across this thread ... I would suggest you do the trunnion upgrade kit. It's only ~ $125 and IMO cheap insurance that the stock needle bearings don't take a puke and spew needle bearing inside your engine. It can happen ... "noise issue" or not.

Get notified of new replies

To Do my rocker arms need the trunion upgrade?

Quick Reply: Do my rocker arms need the trunion upgrade?