C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speedo default

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 03:14 PM
bobamylaura
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speedo default

My speedo defaults to kph every time I turn on ignition, can the settings be changed to default to mph?
Old 10-28-2012, 04:44 PM
Tuscany
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

As far as I know, it's supposed to remember your setting (E/M button) and start back up in that same mode.
Old 10-28-2012, 05:05 PM
bobamylaura
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Tuscany
As far as I know, it's supposed to remember your setting (E/M button) and start back up in that same mode.
Mine seems to default back to kph every time ignition turned off
Old 10-28-2012, 05:45 PM
99MALLETT396
Racer

That's mostlikly a result of a low batt.
Old 10-28-2012, 05:58 PM
Tuscany
Racer

Are there other symptoms of memory loss (e.g., climate control temp. setting)? If so, I'd agree with 99MALLETT396.

If not... Do you have any codes?
Old 10-28-2012, 06:09 PM
Tuscany
Racer

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
Cutoff voltages to keep the electronics happy are much higher than what it takes to start the engine.
12.5V seems to be the approximate minimum. (13-14V is nominal.)

EDIT: True measurement should be with a volt meter between battery positive and chassis ground, rather than the DIC.
Old 10-28-2012, 11:41 PM
Tron Z
Pro

Received 165 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
The cutoff voltage I'm talking about occurrs when your battery is already low and you begin to crank the engine. Because of the load of the starter the voltage will drop below a critical threshold and cause the memory functions to default. That number is generally around the low 11's or high 10's. The 12.5 volts is the point at which the electronics starts to work funky but some functions work and others do not.

The gauges never show you the true voltage of the battery and that's because with the key on and engine off there are always some circuits in the C5 loading the battery.(BCM, PCM and IPC to name a few). With engine running you are reading approximately the output voltage of the alternator. Nice to know the alternator works but for some functions that occur BEFORE you start the engine, the battery could be low enough to result in funky things. It's interesting to know that the car will start with a no load voltage of less than 12.2 but the electronics will not be happy.

True no load voltage is measured with the neg battery cable disconnected and the meter directly across the battery posts. Once the no load voltage is below 12.5, count on the electronics doing strange things in the C5.

Just because the PCM works the engine starts, is not a reliable indicator that the battery and associated connections are providing sufficient power to the other circuits so that they function as expected. The PCM may function at 10.5V, but every other electronic device will have it's own threshold of pain. You would be surprised how low the battery voltage will drop during cranking, with a marginal battery. This is the first, best place to start checking.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:40 AM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Is it a Canadian or Euro car with 300kph speedo?

Try setting the mph as well as the mirrors and HVAC and seats and setting the memory for whichever remote you use, or just set all 3 memories.

Get notified of new replies

To Speedo default

Quick Reply: Speedo default