C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this a problem for the ole LS?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 09:45 PM
ninjaneer911
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this a problem for the ole LS?

2000 Mn6 with 110k on the hourglass....

http://s1193.beta.photobucket.com/us...32167027020559

Seems like alot of buildup to me, whats ^
Old 10-25-2012, 10:33 PM
Lothar34
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
The recommendation for changing the coolant is 5 years or 150K miles which ever comes FIRST. Directly from the owners manual.

Looks to me like the Dex cool has turned to mud. Probably the original from the factory........ Good luck getting it cleaned out.
That's the oil cap, hoss.

and yeah that seems like a lot of crud under there.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:01 PM
DaDuck
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Default crud around filler neck

That picture of the radiator cap is normal crud build up around cap and radiator neck for any liquid cooled engine. The question is, what is the condition of the antifreeze? If it is 5 years old, drain it and put new fluid in.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:16 AM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

If it's running fine, has good oil pressure and is not burning oil then what's the problem?

I wouldn't sell the car because the oil fill cap is a little dirty underneath. Oil residue does tend to burn into the plastic.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:25 AM
Lothar34
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
Looks to me like the Dex cool has turned to mud. Probably the original from the factory........ Good luck getting it cleaned out.
Originally Posted by Lothar34
That's the oil cap, hoss.
Originally Posted by DaDuck
That picture of the radiator cap is normal crud build up around cap and radiator neck for any liquid cooled engine.
That's NOT the radiator cap.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:41 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Very strange build up. Is your PCV Valve functioning properly????

That would be the very first thing that I would check!! Make sure that all the vacuum lines are in good shape and not cracked or deteriorated.

Use some SEAFOAM in the crankcase and do another oil change after it has had a chance to clean the crankcase and monitor at each fuel fill to see if you have any further issues.

Bill
Old 10-26-2012, 08:08 AM
ninjaneer911
Advanced

Default More information

Bill i think you hit the nail. Yesterday i found a previously repaired vaccum hose/soft rubber boot with a hole. Passenger side, approx 3/8" dia X 2" long, on the intake manifold directly behind the throttle body, runs along the top of the passenger valve cover. (what line is this?)

I replaced it and now the car is idling very low. Also, after hard acceleration, while the clutch is depressed and sometimes at a redlight, the rpms drop so low the car shuts off. Sounds like a vaccum leak or PCV valve.. THOUGHTS??

Yea that aint the water cap fellas.. and someone should drink cranberry juice; helps with the cramps..
Old 10-26-2012, 08:21 AM
sunchaser73
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does the hose connect to the intake manifold or the throttle body? (not evident by your description)
It could be the PCV return to the intake...if you recently replaced it, it might take a little bit for the PCM to adjust...If it was leaking before, the new hose effectively "changes" the airflow and everything needs time to adjust. I just finished a fairly long battle with PCV hose routing and the LS7 valley cover (integrated PCV orifice AND oil separator)...and after all the wrench-turning was complete, the car stalled out a few times at stop signs, etc. after about 15 miles of driving, that condition cleared and everything is fine now...
HTH
Old 10-26-2012, 10:58 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Heres a shot of an LS1 engine with the standard LS1 PCV hoses tubibg and fittings. Theres a funky two into one coupler and that can and will deteriorate as will other rubber fittings in the PCV system:

The LS6 or 2004 engine has an entirely different PCV system and this BOOT frequently gets soft and rips and causes a bad vacuum leak. Look at the U shaped tube that goes from the valve valley cover to the fitting on the intake manifold:

Bill

After you fix your vacuum leaks, do an IDLE RELEARN to get the engine to idle correctly.

Bill
Old 11-01-2012, 05:49 PM
ninjaneer911
Advanced

The hose was the PCV valve hose, shown in the bottom of bills picture. I replaced the hose, pcv and reset the idle. Idles better but still not smooth like it should be. Some of the other vacuum lines are not as tight as i like her, so that will be the next step. Then the seafoam. Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To Is this a problem for the ole LS?

Quick Reply: Is this a problem for the ole LS?