C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unavilaible EBTCM and SWPS Upgrade Possibilities

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 01:22 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Default Unavilaible EBTCM and SWPS Upgrade Possibilities

There have been a few threads about how the early EBTCM module and the 99-00 SWPS are not available.

There were a few comments about updating the EBTCM to the later model but they generally get shot down with comments that it wouldn't be possible without major re-wiring work, basically replacing everything electrical in the car.

Well, I finally got my service CD installed again and took a look at the schematics for the EBTCM wiring on a 98 and a 04. The systems are very similar. I found a spot where they were referred to as a version 5 and version 5.3 which indicates it's not a complete new design but rather a revision on the first design. All the wiring is the same wire color and size with a different EBTCM pinout except for the following;

SWPS;
Only the 98 SWPS has an analog output and an index signal (marked without JL4 only). Both have the phase A signal, phase B signal, power and ground which are the same wire colors and sizes.

Brake Pressure Differential Switch;
The 98 has one of these. I don't see one on the 04.

So, my conclusion is that any 98-00 with active handling could have the EBTCM changed to the 01-04 unit by installing it and changing the existing connector for the new unit.

I would also suspect the analog part on the old style SWPS is what typically fails meaning I believe the odds are good that you could put the 02-04 EBTCM into a 99-00 car with a failed SWPS and it would still provide the phase A and and phase B signals required by the newer EBTCM.

Now, the 97 and 98 without AH are a little trickier. I'm not sure if the BCM would give the option for the performance driving mode and the lateral accelerometer and yaw rate sensors are missing. This might mean changing the BCM to a model with the AH option or turning on an AH option in the BCM. As for the sensors. The sensors each require the same power and ground that the SWPS already has and they each provide a signal output to the EBTCM. So, the ground and power can be tapped off the SWPS wiring. the SWPS would have the analog output and index output signals that are not needed giving 2 spare wires that could be used for the output signals from these sensor connections.

At this time, I don't need to do this and I don't personally know anyone who would want to do this. So, I'm putting this out there to see what interest there is. Hopefully, others familiar with these systems can comment on any differences they know of.
Old 10-19-2012, 02:25 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

Great stuff....and it all makes sense when you understand how features evolve in the auto industry. The bean counters are hell bent on keeping costs low, so engineering has to make every attempt to carry over current parts, or somehow adapt them if the future design intent can be met.
Old 10-19-2012, 03:03 PM
AllVette
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You may also need to consider:

The 2001 and later EBTCM's use dynamic brake proportioning and the earlier units use a mechanical valve.

The Brake Pressure Sensor is located in the BPMV in the later models (rather than in the combination valve), which may or may not produce a different measurement.

The wiring for the SWPS is different on both ends, this will need to be addressed depending on which SWPS is used.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:40 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Originally Posted by AllVette
The 2001 and later EBTCM's use dynamic brake proportioning and the earlier units use a mechanical valve.
Doesn't matter as long as it wires up.

The Brake Pressure Sensor is located in the BPMV in the later models (rather than in the combination valve), which may or may not produce a different measurement.
Well, that answers the question of the missing brake switch. Also should not matter since the new EBTCM would be used with the BPMV and use the new switch. I didn't describe them separately above but the whole setup EBTCM + BPMV be swapped into the car.

The wiring for the SWPS is different on both ends, this will need to be addressed depending on which SWPS is used.
Yes, the plugs are different. If you put a newer SWPS into an earlier car you'll need a harness plug tail. Just like you'll need one for the newer EBTCM.
Old 10-20-2012, 08:23 AM
SteveDoten
Le Mans Master

Received 160 Likes on 125 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

When comparing model years, may better to break it down by ebcm location and options,

1. 97, Early 98 (EBCM located on rear xmember) (No AH)
2. Late 98, 99, 00 (Active Handling was an option/JL4)
3. 01-04 (2nd gen Active Handling standard)
Old 01-31-2015, 11:29 AM
dannyman
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thought it may be prudent to re-visit this thread especially this weekend given the fact that the Tadge - GM question is active in the current poll.

If you want a GM response to the replacement of critical parts such as the ECBM and SWPS then the time is now to go to the following link and cast your vote for the C5 camp:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...an-2015-a.html

This is one time where your vote can actually count for something.

Dannyman
Old 01-31-2015, 03:00 PM
Cybermind
Melting Slicks

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by dannyman
Thought it may be prudent to re-visit this thread especially this weekend given the fact that the Tadge - GM question is active in the current poll.

If you want a GM response to the replacement of critical parts such as the ECBM and SWPS then the time is now to go to the following link and cast your vote for the C5 camp:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...an-2015-a.html

This is one time where your vote can actually count for something.

Dannyman
Thanks for the link. It looks like "GM parts support for C5's" is winning!

I truly believe GM will begin offering OEM parts for C5's eventually. They can no longer ignore the level of enthusiasm that has developed for our cars and I do believe that the company now has the right people (actual car enthusiasts) in place to make this happen.
Old 01-31-2015, 03:16 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,635 Posts

Originally Posted by Cybermind
Thanks for the link. It looks like "GM parts support for C5's" is winning!

I truly believe GM will begin offering OEM parts for C5's eventually. They can no longer ignore the level of enthusiasm that has developed for our cars and I do believe that the company now has the right people (actual car enthusiasts) in place to make this happen.
Old 01-31-2015, 04:12 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

It'll be a good attempt, but I expect nothing will come of the question. Most likely, one or more programmable IC's inside the EBTCM are no longer available which makes it impossible to just build new modules. Involving a 3rd party brings up issues of sharing the proprietary technology (the software behind how it operates especially) with this 3rd party. There is a lot of complexity inside that box, and I'd bet that some of the technology is still used by GM on their new cars making GM very hesitant at handing the design to another company to build.

Someone would have to convince the IC manufacturer to make a new batch of components if any of the IC's are out of production. Either that or hope that company would share the design details to another manufacturer willing to do it. Or, the 3rd option is to rely on a Chinese company to reverse engineer the design and hope they get it right (which they often do not).

Last edited by lionelhutz; 01-31-2015 at 04:14 PM.
Old 01-31-2015, 10:19 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
It'll be a good attempt, but I expect nothing will come of the question. Most likely, one or more programmable IC's inside the EBTCM are no longer available which makes it impossible to just build new modules. Involving a 3rd party brings up issues of sharing the proprietary technology (the software behind how it operates especially) with this 3rd party. There is a lot of complexity inside that box, and I'd bet that some of the technology is still used by GM on their new cars making GM very hesitant at handing the design to another company to build.

Someone would have to convince the IC manufacturer to make a new batch of components if any of the IC's are out of production. Either that or hope that company would share the design details to another manufacturer willing to do it. Or, the 3rd option is to rely on a Chinese company to reverse engineer the design and hope they get it right (which they often do not).
lionelhutz

I wish GM Would hire you to sort this CRAP out and make it GOOD for the 97-2000 C5 owners. You are one of the most dedicated people on the forum for resolving this issue.
YES,, Like you, I agree that resolving the electrical conversion would be pretty much straight forward.

HOWEVER,,,, That being said, Installing a 2001+ BPMV in place of a early BPMV would require a set of all new brake lines... That in its self is a big issue. Its not impossible but,,, probably pretty expensive if not made in a bulk set. You could probably bend a custom set by hand. That would be time consuming and require talent bending lines to make the new BPMV connect to the system.

IMHO,,, I seriously doubt that GM will respond to our VOID of CRITICAL C5 repair parts because,,, They dont have to and its probably NOT profitable.

Just wait until the C6 people start finding NO LONGER SUPPORTED "CRITICAL" C6 PARTS.. LMFAO..

lionelhutz THANK YOU for bringing this topic up again.

Right now The POLL is 210 to 156. 210 for GM Encouragement for C5 Aftermarket Parts & 156 for C6 Z06 Question for Tadge..

We will see what the GM Expert has to say about our issues!

BC
Old 01-31-2015, 10:31 PM
10.5Vette
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wouldn't the 2001 and up brake lines work?
Old 01-31-2015, 10:41 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Bill,

I've made many brake lines over the years. It's actually a fairly easy thing to do for a one-off application. But, I suppose if you wanted to make a kit, one of the companies that makes brake lines for classics could be employed to do it but it'd be pricy.

A while back, Steve posted he'd do the swap to the newer system if a customer was willing to pay him. I wonder if anyone has taken him up on it.
Old 02-01-2015, 04:42 AM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

new swps sensors are on ebay often for 250 shipped

gouging yes but they are OE GM

noticed when i was looking for one for my 02 which thankfully i can get from the dealer

Get notified of new replies

To Unavilaible EBTCM and SWPS Upgrade Possibilities

Quick Reply: Unavilaible EBTCM and SWPS Upgrade Possibilities