C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 08:21 PM
PlasticCar
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight Problem

Deer hit me, left front now fixed. When I first got it back, everything worked good. Left headlight now comes up fine, but when it goes down it doesn't stop and comes back up about half way. Body man thinks it's inertia switch and will work with me on it, but I've already installed bronze gears so don't just want to ditch this motor. Could it be something else or is there a fix that I can do? I see refurbished motors on line and figure that they couldn't all be for gears. Any info appreciated.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:36 AM
n8dogg
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 327 Likes on 95 Posts

It's the nylon stops, either they were never reinstalled or are worn through. The headlight linkage actually hits these nylon stops, when they are worn or missing the headlight motor keeps going and the linkage makes a circle which causes it to come back up. Pop up the head lights, remove the plastic surround and check for the nylon stops next to the motor. Sometimes you can turn them around to the side that isn't worn.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:46 PM
PlasticCar
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

n8dogg, thanks. I thought I remembered that fix from a couple of years ago, but decided to check with the experts before pulling it apart. Body man wanted to order new motor. wouldn't listen to me, so I fixed it.

Get notified of new replies

To Headlight Problem

Quick Reply: Headlight Problem