C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help please... A/with hob air blowing hot air from A/C on

Old 09-28-2012, 12:06 AM
polo1134
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Help please... A/C blowing hot on driver side and cold on passenger side

I have the dual climate control A/C feature in my 2000 C5. My A/C is blowing warm on the driver side and cold on the passenger side. No matter what temp I select for the driver side it just blows warm air.

After some research/looking up codes on the DIC I had the code B0361 H (Left Actuator Feedback Short to GRD) and code B0363 C (Left Actuator Feedback Open). When I checked the codes again tonight the B0363 C code is gone! But the air is still blowing warm on the driver side.

I was planning on pulling the actuator this weekend to try and fix the gear if broken or replacing the part completely. Should that fix my hot driver side air? My concern is the code mysteriously disappearing... I don't want to take my interior apart to get to the actuator if that's not the problem.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by polo1134; 09-28-2012 at 12:12 AM. Reason: messed up title
Old 09-28-2012, 12:45 AM
polo1134
Racer

Sorry if the title on my post is messed up.... I swear I'm not drunk! Apparently I have a hot key on my laptop that instantly enters the messages I type before I was ready.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:53 AM
BigGun
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by polo1134
I have the dual climate control A/C feature in my 2000 C5. My A/C is blowing warm on the driver side and cold on the passenger side. No matter what temp I select for the driver side it just blows warm air.

After some research/looking up codes on the DIC I had the code B0361 H (Left Actuator Feedback Short to GRD) and code B0363 C (Left Actuator Feedback Open). When I checked the codes again tonight the B0363 C code is gone! But the air is still blowing warm on the driver side.

I was planning on pulling the actuator this weekend to try and fix the gear if broken or replacing the part completely. Should that fix my hot driver side air? My concern is the code mysteriously disappearing... I don't want to take my interior apart to get to the actuator if that's not the problem.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!
In a Vette this is a classic symptom of a low freon charge. It has been posted and explained hundreds of times. If the actuator code is gone I wouldn't worry about it. Get the system charged first by an experienced shop and I bet the problem will be solved.
Old 09-28-2012, 12:13 PM
SS2001SS
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

How would low freon cause an actuator fault code?
Old 09-28-2012, 03:18 PM
BigGun
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by SS2001SS
How would low freon cause an actuator fault code?
Agreed, not related but OP stated the code is gone but not the problem. He should at least check the pressures before tearing into the dash and replacing actuators.
Old 09-28-2012, 04:00 PM
SS2001SS
Pro

I agree. Good news is the drivers side actuator can be replaced by just removing the knee bolster. Bad news is I've had mine off and on 3 times already and still have the problem.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:14 PM
polo1134
Racer

Thanks for the help! I'm having a shop check the freon level tomorrow.
Old 09-29-2012, 07:51 AM
SS2001SS
Pro

Let us know what you find out.
Old 09-30-2012, 01:44 PM
Got uid0
Le Mans Master

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by BigGun
In a Vette this is a classic symptom of a low freon charge. It has been posted and explained hundreds of times. If the actuator code is gone I wouldn't worry about it. Get the system charged first by an experienced shop and I bet the problem will be solved.
The code is not for low freon. No code = freon problem

He has the broken blend door actuator
Old 09-30-2012, 01:47 PM
Got uid0
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '17

I agree. Good news is the drivers side actuator can be replaced by just removing the knee bolster. Bad news is I've had mine off and on 3 times already and still have the problem.
Yeah right!

I am in the middle of this repair and wasted 2 hours sitting on my neck trying to reach in and unscrew the stupid thing.

I was able to get to one screw but could not see the top one and ended up pulling the dash / interior to shreds.

It is a LOT of work
Old 09-30-2012, 08:54 PM
SS2001SS
Pro

You can see the top screw from the front looking thru where the temp sensor tube is. It is a pain. Once you remove the Bose module the actuator is fairly accessible. I will say that the first time I did it I lost the top screw - it fell into some unknown crevice under there never to be seen again.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:10 PM
Got uid0
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '17

You can see the top screw from the front looking thru where the temp sensor tube is. It is a pain. Once you remove the Bose module the actuator is fairly accessible. I will say that the first time I did it I lost the top screw - it fell into some unknown crevice under there never to be seen again.

dont feel bad

I lost two T25 bits to the steering column since i had the dash pulled apart decided to repair the headlight switch and a tool to the battery tray.

Vette is hungry lol
Old 10-05-2012, 12:22 PM
SS2001SS
Pro

Well I think I have found the problem (for my car anyway). I pulled out the a/c control while changing out my hazard switch and saw some markings in pen/sharpie. Looked like someone changed it out before! So I looked up the part number and it came back as the unit for a 1998 model!!! (Mine's a 2004). So now I have ordered one from Rock Auto and will have to wait and see if that fixes it, which I think it will.
Old 05-10-2017, 06:49 PM
Steves00vette
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low Freon level

I have read in a few places that low Freon will allow drivers side to push warm air and passenger side cold. Arent both sides controlled or cooled the same? Im confused what would allow hot and cold .
Old 08-18-2019, 07:32 PM
Hiram
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I also have the B0361 Code (Left Actuator Feedback Short to GRD)
Does anyone know witch ground would makes this code appear? Is this just an independent ground for the left actuator?
I also get B0367 (Right actuator Feedback Open) But the air works great and if i change to heat and back to air it all works fine. Does anyone have any thoughts on why i get the codes even though everything seems to work fine.

Thanks
Old 08-18-2019, 08:18 PM
SS2001SS
Pro

Originally Posted by Hiram
I also have the B0361 Code (Left Actuator Feedback Short to GRD)
Does anyone know witch ground would makes this code appear? Is this just an independent ground for the left actuator?
I also get B0367 (Right actuator Feedback Open) But the air works great and if i change to heat and back to air it all works fine. Does anyone have any thoughts on why i get the codes even though everything seems to work fine.

Thanks
I don't know about the ground issue but after I got the problem fixed in my car the codes would keep coming back even though everything was working.
Old 08-18-2019, 08:23 PM
C5 Diag
Moderator, Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,116 Likes on 1,683 Posts

Originally Posted by BigGun
This certainly is a symptom of a low charge...a Forum member bought his car by and when I checked it his Freon was low...this is his thread he posted !!

“So I visited Rob and he put some AC pressure gauges on the car and he looked at the actuator data with his scanner. The AC charge was slightly low. Initially the air coming from the drivers side vents was noticeably warmer than the passenger vents. Rob added freon and the air coming from the vents became very close to the same temperature. We then looked at the actuator data. You could see that the position data for the drivers side was lazy as the temperature dial was moved. It took awhile before the position data settled to a final reading. So it appears that the door is working properly but the position sensor is not reading properly. This explains intermittent nature of the codes. So I'll leave this alone for now since the AC is cold again. Rob is a great guy and very knowledgeable. Rob thank you for helping me out with this.”

Get notified of new replies

To Help please... A/with hob air blowing hot air from A/C on

Old 05-24-2020, 11:42 AM
Jack Reynolds
Heel & Toe

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

My passenger side vent blows hot when driver's side blows cold. Should a recharge help? If it is the rt side actuator can it be manually changed to vent only cold?
Do you have any idea of the labor hours involved to replace? Part price?
Thanks
Jack Reynolds
Old 05-24-2020, 12:09 PM
ronwc
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack Reynolds
My passenger side vent blows hot when driver's side blows cold. Should a recharge help? If it is the rt side actuator can it be manually changed to vent only cold?
Thanks
Jack Reynolds
If passenger side warm and drivers side cold, recharge probably won't help - first check your codes and reset any bad ones. Or you can try resetting by disconnecting the battery (or pulling fuse) for a minute. When you hook it back up you should hear the actuators moving. Changing actuator is a PITA if resetting doesn't work..

Originally Posted by Steves00vette
I have read in a few places that low Freon will allow drivers side to push warm air and passenger side cold. Arent both sides controlled or cooled the same? Im confused what would allow hot and cold .
That's not the way it works. To keep it simple, the drivers side gets cold air after the passenger side, if low on freon only the passenger side gets most or all the cold. I hate to think how many 1000's of guys have torn their dash apart, changed out actuators and it still didn't work right, when it could have been fixed in 5 minutes with a $4 can of freon.

Last edited by ronwc; 05-24-2020 at 03:32 PM.
Old 05-24-2020, 11:16 PM
miltievette
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Pass.not cold

Originally Posted by Jack Reynolds
Thanks
Jack Reynolds
Hi Jack I would recharge it. If that doesn't work move to the next. But for $30 something bucks It's worth it.
it worked for me. Good luck

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help please... A/with hob air blowing hot air from A/C on