C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Pump Going Bad?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 08:17 PM
chevylad
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Fuel Pump Going Bad?

Do fuel pumps fail catastrophiclly or do they kind of surge. Mine is surging and was wondering if that was the pump or a clogged fuel filter.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:12 PM
chevylad
Pro

I never saw a problem with the pressure, not that I was always watching the guage either. The engine wasn't running right (dying) so I though I would drain the gas. I replumbed the fuel line in the engine bay right to a fuel jug and I was watching fuel come out in bursts instead of a steady flow. I go under the car and I can hear it changing pitch like the fuel is running out, but it was doing this from about a quarter tank full. Is this normal when the line is opened up like that. I'm sure others have drained the tank like this.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:18 PM
wrmiles
Racer

Received 126 Likes on 95 Posts

Could be that you are emptying the left tank faster than transfer from the right tank can keep up. This could be aggrvated by the fact that, with an open line, pump pressure will be at a minimum and it is this pressure that provides pumping power to the jet transfer pump in the right tank.
Old 09-09-2012, 01:40 PM
chevylad
Pro

I need to upgrade the pump anyway, so the new one is going to be installed along with a regulator and return line and I'll recheck the flow after.

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel Pump Going Bad?

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump Going Bad?