C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 A4 Shifter Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 12:02 PM
MAC5
Drifting

Received 230 Likes on 148 Posts

Default 98 A4 Shifter Problem

Reposting in the tech section.

Problem started yesterday while backing the car out of the garage.

Shifted from Park to Reverse fine and backed out, slipped shifter into D and nothing, no forward movement, tach shows rev's increasing as if car is in N. I pull the shifter down into 3rd and it will go forward but when I did this it had the same feel as if it was in the D slot position not 3rd. Pushed the shifter up to the D slot and all was normal. Can drive the car around town while in D and if shifts and downshifts normally. Trying a couple of things, went from Park to N and slid the shifter into D car won't move forward, pulled back on the shifter a little harder up against the stop preventing shifting into third but not pushing the button down on the shifter to get it into the 3rd slot and the tranny will engage.

Other notes, if I manually pull the shifter down to 1st gear, the shifter will not hold in place in the first gear popsition, it kind of slide up and feels like it really is in 2nd gear.

Any help appreciated. The 98 has 37,500 on the speedo, and not tracked/raced. No recent work on the tranny or car for that matter.
Old 09-06-2012, 12:45 PM
NukeC5
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Your transmission seems to be working fine. It sounds like your linkage is worn out or broken. Id take it in for a new kit to get installed before it leaves you stranded.
My linkage broke in my 84 TA (My DD before the Vette) and being to cheap and lazy to fix it I would reach under the car put in drive or neutral to turn it off haha. But that would be very difficult to do with a rear mounted transmission.
Old 09-07-2012, 02:56 AM
RonSSNova
Safety Car

Received 322 Likes on 263 Posts

I'm thinking the rubber bushing where the cable connects to the trans fell apart leaving your shifter sloppy. You can lift the car and crawl under and have a look see. The circled area is where the cable slides on to the trans shift lever. Sorry but I don't have a photo of the cable.

I think there is a similar bushing on the shifter end of the cable. But Ididn't look real close at that when I had the TT out.

Ron
Old 09-07-2012, 02:49 PM
MAC5
Drifting

RonSSNova

Thanks for the picture. I got a chance to back it up on the ramps this morning or a look. Everything look connected but noticed what looked like a plastic tab sticking out away from the end of the shifter cable assembly. I pushed the tab down onto the assembly and it snapped back into a locked position.

Pulled my shop manuals out and found out this tab is called a: "transmission shift control adjustment lock". I lowered the car and shifted P thru 1st and back up. All position notches lock into place as they should. Started the car and it goes in/out of all gears fine now.

My only questions now are, did this adjustment lock just work its way loose? Is it possible the last time they had to drop the rear end at the dealership that the tab was not completely depressed? Or is this something that is going to happen again at the wrong time and in the wrong place? I'm gong to swing by the dealership next week and talk to the tech that's done most of the work on this car over the years for his opinion.

Here's a pic of the tranny end of the shifter cable that shows the adjustment lock tab

Last edited by MAC5; 09-07-2012 at 02:58 PM.
Old 09-07-2012, 03:06 PM
RonSSNova
Safety Car

My car is a 2000 model and the end that connects at the trans looks nothing like that. Mine just pops off with a little pry. Perhaps they changed just for this reason? This I do not know! At least you are back on the road!

Ron
Old 09-07-2012, 03:30 PM
MAC5
Drifting

That's more than likely the reason for the change.

While reading other threads on this subject I came across a url from a tranny shop in FL that offers a rebuild kit so you don't have to replace the entire cable if the issues at the tranny end.

http://www.atfspeed.com/store/index....roducts_id=547

It makes sense but not convinced it would work in my case. If my problem is the locking tab working loose I don't see how this would fix it. I'll try calling the company next week after talking with my mechanic. If its merely the tab occasionally working loose, I don't see why putting a zip tie around the entire connector wouldn't keep it from working loose again.
Old 09-07-2012, 03:55 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,674 Likes on 1,297 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...r-problem.html
Old 09-07-2012, 04:39 PM
MAC5
Drifting

That's my original post in the General section. Didn't get replies back on that so I put up another post the next day in the Tech side. I should ask a moderator to pull that one down.
Old 09-07-2012, 05:14 PM
fixvet
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MAC5
That's more than likely the reason for the change.

While reading other threads on this subject I came across a url from a tranny shop in FL that offers a rebuild kit so you don't have to replace the entire cable if the issues at the tranny end.

http://www.atfspeed.com/store/index....roducts_id=547

It makes sense but not convinced it would work in my case. If my problem is the locking tab working loose I don't see how this would fix it. I'll try calling the company next week after talking with my mechanic. If its merely the tab occasionally working loose, I don't see why putting a zip tie around the entire connector wouldn't keep it from working loose again.
I'd definitely carefully zip tie it before taking my car to a dealer.
Good luck
Old 09-11-2012, 12:19 PM
MAC5
Drifting

I had the shifter cable checked out today by the dealership mechanic who has done most of the work on my C5. He checked out the locking clip on the shifter adjustment and it comes off and reattaches properly. He also put a small tie wrap around it to ensure it remains secured.

I posted the picture below (taken last week) that shows the end of the shifter cable (white plastic piece) that attaches to the transmission shift lever. The piece that popped out was the square tab at the top of the white plastic end piece.

From what I've read on other posts, this plastic piece at the end of that cable that attaches to the transmission gear selector lever may not be the same for all years on the C5's. Mine's a 98 but I could not confirm when or even if a design change was made.. Hope this helps anyone that has this problem in the future.

Last edited by MAC5; 09-11-2012 at 07:50 PM.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:47 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Interesting post!
Old 09-11-2012, 05:20 PM
MAC5
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
Interesting post!
Bill, coming from one who has provided me with numerous posts of "C5 Enlightenment" your comment is appreciated.

thanks

MAC
Old 09-11-2012, 05:45 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

MAC

I do little if any C5 C6 automatic work. All I have is MN6/MN12s.

Always peek in on the auto tranny issue post to see whats breaking and how the fix was implemented.

BC
Old 09-11-2012, 06:28 PM
RonSSNova
Safety Car

Originally Posted by MAC5
I had the shifter cable checked out today by the dealership mechanic who has done most all the work on my C5. He checked out the locking clip on the shifter adjustment and it comes off and reattaches properly. He also put a small tie wrap around it to ensure it remains secured.

I posted the picture below (taken last week) that shows the end of the shifter cable (white plastic piece) that attaches to the transmission shift lever. The piece that popped out was the square tab at the top of the white plastic end piece.

From what I've read on other posts, this plastic piece at the end of that cable that attaches to the transmission gear selector lever is not the same for all years on the C5's. Mine's a 98 but I could not find out when they changed this design. Hope this helps anyone that has this problem in the future.

Ok, well, that is identical to my 2000. My photo above didn't have the cable visible, I hadn't pulled it down yet to install in that photo.

Others have reported that the rubber like round bushing that snaps onto the tran shift lever had hardened and fallen apart, thus causing the same issue. The next time I have mine up in the air, I'll check the other part...
I just snapped mine on and all has been good. Learn something new every day about these cars!

thanks for the photo.

Ron
Old 09-11-2012, 07:48 PM
MAC5
Drifting

RonSSNova

thanks for the original pic, got me started looking in the right place.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:04 PM
mtdoragary
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanx; now I have to get the battery charged up enough to operate the trunk release so I can retrieve my pucks!
Old 09-22-2013, 10:02 AM
LW97Vette
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where is this located on the car? How can I get to it?

Thanks!
Old 09-23-2013, 12:37 PM
MAC5
Drifting

Originally Posted by LW97Vette
Where is this located on the car? How can I get to it?

Thanks!
Can you be a little more specific as to "what" your looking for?

Trunk release, shifter cable connector??
Old 06-06-2015, 07:53 PM
dogboy
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RonSSNova
Ok, well, that is identical to my 2000. My photo above didn't have the cable visible, I hadn't pulled it down yet to install in that photo.

Others have reported that the rubber like round bushing that snaps onto the tran shift lever had hardened and fallen apart, thus causing the same issue. The next time I have mine up in the air, I'll check the other part...
I just snapped mine on and all has been good. Learn something new every day about these cars!

thanks for the photo.

Ron
Just had this happen, round bushing disintegrated, found pieces lying on floor. I jacked up car & zip tied it back on lever. It works but I did order that repair kit for $21.

Get notified of new replies

To 98 A4 Shifter Problem

Quick Reply: 98 A4 Shifter Problem