C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

code P1416 air system bank 2

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 04:09 AM
scottsphoto2
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default code P1416 air system bank 2

Ok, my 97 was running great, now after filling up w/premium 93 octane fuel,and adding a bottle of Lucas fuel stabilizer(for the first time), she starts acting just a little funny and got the P1416 code on my CanOBD2 code reader.
I talked to someone from the Lucas Co. over the phone before using the stabil and they said I should use it and that it would not hurt my Vette.
Do you think it is just coincidence or was the guy at Lucas wrong?

I really need to find out,because I was thinking about using Lucas oil stabilizer in the next oil change, because the Lucas guy said i could double my miles if i start adding a qt to every change.(I already have over 181k miles on her!)
Thanks so much!
Old 08-31-2012, 05:54 AM
Cybermind
Melting Slicks

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

The Lucas fuel stabilizer has nothing to do with the P1416 code. That code is telling you that your passenger side air check valve is gone. It happens often. The air check valve allows your air pump to inject air into the passenger side exhaust manifold. This helps warm up the right side cat. What happens is the rubber diaphragm inside the check valve hardens and/or gets blocked with carbon buildup.
Unfortunately, it is time to change it. Some have had success with cleaning it but it is a temporary solution. The good news is that the part itself only costs about 30 bucks. The bad news is that your whole intake manifold needs to come off to get to it.
Do a search on this forum and you will find several posts on how to pull the intake manifold.
Good luck.
PS: It is not recommended to add anything to your oil. It is complete snake oil IMHO.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:06 AM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Yup, check valve that's in the pipe behind the intake. If you change it, you might as well change the drivers side one at the same time.

Are you running the 93 octane + fuel stabilizer because you like wasting money or because you're storing it?
Old 08-31-2012, 11:12 AM
Quicksilver Vert 01
Tech Contributor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by Cybermind
The Lucas fuel stabilizer has nothing to do with the P1416 code. That code is telling you that your passenger side air check valve is gone. It happens often. The air check valve allows your air pump to inject air into the passenger side exhaust manifold. This helps warm up the right side cat. What happens is the rubber diaphragm inside the check valve hardens and/or gets blocked with carbon buildup.
Unfortunately, it is time to change it. Some have had success with cleaning it but it is a temporary solution. The good news is that the part itself only costs about 30 bucks. The bad news is that your whole intake manifold needs to come off to get to it.

PS: It is not recommended to add anything to your oil. It is complete snake oil IMHO.
Old 08-31-2012, 01:26 PM
FRITZM
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Default air check valve

Referring to the AIR check valve as the passenger side implies that there are two including one for the drivers side. Is this so?

Last edited by FRITZM; 08-31-2012 at 01:37 PM. Reason: chenge
Old 08-31-2012, 02:01 PM
Quicksilver Vert 01
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by FRITZM
Referring to the AIR check valve as the passenger side implies that there are two including one for the drivers side. Is this so?
There are two AIR check valves.

The Bank 1 check valve is located on the driver's side, just above the left head. The Bank 2 check valve is tucked away between the engine and the firewall.
Old 08-31-2012, 02:06 PM
FRITZM
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Po416

Thanx, i am doing the ls6 intake swap and will replace though i am not having problems, but with 72K who knows. Will order two. Thanx much!
Old 08-31-2012, 02:11 PM
Quicksilver Vert 01
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by FRITZM
Thanx, i am doing the ls6 intake swap and will replace though i am not having problems, but with 72K who knows. Will order two. Thanx much!
Definitely replace the Bank 2 valve when you have the manifold off. There is no other way to gain access to it, with the manifold bolted in place.

Get notified of new replies

To code P1416 air system bank 2

Quick Reply: code P1416 air system bank 2