C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changed clutch fluid - did I screw something up?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 09:17 PM
Highpower500
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Changed clutch fluid - did I screw something up?

I changed my clutch fluid today (2003 Z06) using the Ranger method with no problems. My fluid has never been changed before, so it took 6 or 7 flushes as per the method before my clutch fluid looked clean. I went for a drive and checked it again, and decided to do one more flush to get rid of a little dirt that appeared after the drive. However, this time I forgot to put the clutch fluid reservoir cap back on before I started pumping the clutch pedal. Did I screw something up like maybe put air in the line? It seemed to drive OK when I tested it.
Old 08-19-2012, 09:39 PM
mitchcole
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Highpower500
I changed my clutch fluid today (2003 Z06) using the Ranger method with no problems. My fluid has never been changed before, so it took 6 or 7 flushes as per the method before my clutch fluid looked clean. I went for a drive and checked it again, and decided to do one more flush to get rid of a little dirt that appeared after the drive. However, this time I forgot to put the clutch fluid reservoir cap back on before I started pumping the clutch pedal. Did I screw something up like maybe put air in the line? It seemed to drive OK when I tested it.
doubt you screwed it up. There's a hose off the bottom of the reservoir - so you can't slosh ALL of that liquid out...
Old 08-19-2012, 09:48 PM
Banditz
Racer

No...just make SURE you got the fluid that spilled off ANY surface that could have gotten on. The fluid WILL eat any paint you have on there. Now..as far as the cap off, NO that would not have hurt you UNLESS you sloshed ALL the fluid out and the hose at the bottom was able to suck air. IF there was NO fluid in the bottom of the res then yes..bleed her again. IF there was fluid, and the clutch feels fine, go with it and learn your lesson. Good luck!
Old 08-19-2012, 11:12 PM
Highpower500
Burning Brakes

OK thanks. I don't think any fluid spilled out. The reservoir was full when I was done.

Get notified of new replies

To Changed clutch fluid - did I screw something up?

Quick Reply: Changed clutch fluid - did I screw something up?