C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fluid recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 05:56 PM
leaftye
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Fluid recommendations?

I'm going to change all my fluids soon. I've been away from the forums for a while, so I don't know what's preferred anymore.

I'd prefer fluids that can be purchased locally.

I have a manual transmission.

For oil, I assume Mobil 1 is still good stuff.

Coolant should be easy as long as I get the right type.

I still have plenty of differential additive. Does that go bad?

Ford heavy duty brake fluid for their full size vans used to be good stuff. Is it still available?

That leaves fluids for the differential, transmission and power steering.

Sorry for all the questions. I'm just getting back into this, and don't have as much time as I'd like to do all the research myself right now.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:10 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 80 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by leaftye
I'm going to change all my fluids soon. I've been away from the forums for a while, so I don't know what's preferred anymore.

I'd prefer fluids that can be purchased locally.

I have a manual transmission.

Coolant should be easy as long as I get the right type.

I still have plenty of differential additive. Does that go bad?

Ford heavy duty brake fluid for their full size vans used to be good stuff. Is it still available?

That leaves fluids for the differential, transmission and power steering.

Sorry for all the questions. I'm just getting back into this, and don't have as much time as I'd like to do all the research myself right now.
Everything recommended in your owners manual still applies today.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:47 PM
leaftye
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I remember something about the transmission being picky about fluid.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:48 PM
Old Horsepower
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since the new oil code of SN has been added to all the motor oil these days none of it is any good and that includes Mobile 1. On the Mobile web site they even say that the oil has good protection for about 1000 miles. And that's it. The ZDDP (Zinc and Phosphorus) which protects against metal to metal wear is so low to meet government requirements. So first I was using an ZDDP additive but now I just use racing oil. Lately using Valvoline synthetic 5W30 VR1 racing oil. Just my 2 cents. So many people still think Mobile 1 is good. And well, it just isn't any more.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:04 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 80 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by leaftye
I remember something about the transmission being picky about fluid.
Not at all, it loves Dexron III, changed at a reasonable interval. Provided you are not road racing, it's all you need.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:49 PM
MSUGTO
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I do remember reading something about the 97-2000 transaxles having paper blockers and that synthetic transmission fluid eats them up.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:01 AM
baxsom
Le Mans Master

Received 196 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by MSUGTO
I do remember reading something about the 97-2000 transaxles having paper blockers and that synthetic transmission fluid eats them up.
that has been thrown around here a lot, I havent seen anyone actually show that it happens but I went with amsoil because that one supposedly leaves the paper blockers alone.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:04 AM
c3andc5
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by baxsom
that has been thrown around here a lot, I havent seen anyone actually show that it happens but I went with amsoil because that one supposedly leaves the paper blockers alone.
You are correct. Lots of talk about it, but no one willing to say they actually experienced that urban legend. I've used synthetic transmission fluid (Royal Purple & Mobile 1) for eight years in my 2000 6-spd with no problems.
Old 08-16-2012, 05:44 PM
ipuig
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Old Horsepower

Since the new oil code of SN has been added to all the motor oil these days none of it is any good and that includes Mobile 1. On the Mobile web site they even say that the oil has good protection for about 1000 miles. And that's it. The ZDDP (Zinc and Phosphorus) which protects against metal to metal wear is so low to meet government requirements. So first I was using an ZDDP additive but now I just use racing oil. Lately using Valvoline synthetic 5W30 VR1 racing oil. Just my 2 cents. So many people still think Mobile 1 is good. And well, it just isn't any more.
Perhaphs you should take the time to read the facts before posting such a useless diatribe.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...duct_Guide.pdf
Old 08-16-2012, 06:49 PM
WKMCD
Race Director

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by c3andc5
You are correct. Lots of talk about it, but no one willing to say they actually experienced that urban legend. I've used synthetic transmission fluid (Royal Purple & Mobile 1) for eight years in my 2000 6-spd with no problems.
FWIW: I spoke with Rodney at RPM years ago when I was running the 98 M6 tranny. He told me there was nothing wrong with the early model blocker rings and that they "wore like iron". I never had any trouble with that tranny running over both 460RWHP and 530HP through. I just got a very good deal on the M12 I'm running now. I've run RP tranny and rear fluid for years on the car.

Get notified of new replies

To Fluid recommendations?

Quick Reply: Fluid recommendations?