C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Choices? Is Synthetic Mandatory?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 09:36 PM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Location: Central PA. - - My AR15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Received 522 Likes on 387 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy
Default Oil Choices? Is Synthetic Mandatory?

My car is a 98 with the original motor. I am nearing time for an oil change. In the threads I've read here, I've never seen anyone mention running conventional oil in one of these LS motors. Is that a no-no? If so, for what good reasons, remembering I'm out of warranty long ago.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:11 PM
Zorlac
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tons and tons of threads on this. I have always used M1 per GM. Next time I may try the Pennzoil Ultra or Mega or whatever it's called these days. Some folks said it made their motor more quiet. Either way it will be synthetic.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:23 PM
NukeC5
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think as long as you run fully synthetic you are fine. Beware of oils that say synthetic blend. (Like Casterol etc.) they are not fully synthetic. Mobil1, Royal purple, and Valvoline make the best fully synthetics out there IMO.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:53 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 84 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by K-Spaz
My car is a 98 with the original motor. I am nearing time for an oil change. In the threads I've read here, I've never seen anyone mention running conventional oil in one of these LS motors. Is that a no-no? If so, for what good reasons, remembering I'm out of warranty long ago.

Here we go again........

Old 07-18-2012, 10:56 PM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Any insights as to why they call for it? Something mechanically important? I know VW has been calling for Castrol GTX fully synthetic in their engines for a while, and in fact they say you void the warranty if you even change brands. Probably more of a bribe/kickback thing than anything mechanically sound. I've never cared for Mobil 1 in any of my cars, just never seemed to 'feel' right. I've run it, didn't seem to have adverse effects. But, I would certainly not remain brand loyal to them from past experience. If anything, I'd probably use Castrol (as cautioned against above). But, truth be told, I'd really rather stick to conventional oil in the car. I'm guessing that fuel economy is the main reason GM goes to this stuff, and if that is the only bonus, it's not enough to keep me.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:57 PM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Originally Posted by lucky131969
Here we go again........

Well, doing a search on oil yielded a page full of threads, not one of which asked about conventional oil.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:57 PM
sunchaser73
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

with lucky
Look up the GM spec and use one from the list...
Old 07-18-2012, 11:01 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 84 Likes on 77 Posts

Well, doing a search on oil yielded a page full of threads, not one of which asked about conventional oil.
Pssssssst.......I have a secret to tell you, but you can't share it with anyone else......shhhhhh

Your car is not under warranty anymore, so use whatever oil you want. What type you use, and how often you will have to change it, will be dictated by how you drive your car(daily, auto-x, etc), and if it is synethtic or conventional.

Enjoy...
Old 07-19-2012, 01:40 AM
C5Natie
Safety Car

Received 132 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by lucky131969
Pssssssst.......I have a secret to tell you, but you can't share it with anyone else......shhhhhh

Your car is not under warranty anymore, so use whatever oil you want. What type you use, and how often you will have to change it, will be dictated by how you drive your car(daily, auto-x, etc), and if it is synethtic or conventional.

Enjoy...
100% Many good oils out there. Personally I like 15w40 Rotella T in my cammed cars....and thats a conventional oil, and its FOR DIESELS. Lol. Im sure the Corvette police is looking for me.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:26 AM
strand rider
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 181 Posts

Default is this a troll?

I've read the use of synthetic oils allowed a more sophisticated engine design, as it was tough to cool some projected designs before the superior lubrication. The Ls series of engines was only put into production after the new oil solved a few heat issues.

Always use the best oil you can. Yes, there are probably guys out there using crap oil that think they know better ,and that the engineers and car company are just trying to trick him with their fancy oil specifications. Good luck with that.

Once I saw that top fuel racers were reporting they had eliminated oil failure as a cause of parts failure when they switched to synthetic , I switched and never looked back.

Well, I did check. My new at the time 1994 Ford explorer, burned a little oil between changes when new. I wasn't that happy with that fact. Now over 130,000 miles and oil consumption is unchanged from new, a result not possible with the old random molecule oils. Now the same oil consumption rate that I used to consider marginal is superior to mosts cars of that age, because of the oil.

If you want to ignore the specified correct lubricants, how far wrong do you want to go? Conventional oil, kerosene , suntan lotion , water , will all lubricate your engine, but on an inferior level than the oil specified for the job. Some might even let the engine run long enough so that you might think you had made a good decision and saved some money.

Take care of your machines and they will take care of you. Try to run them outside of the designed limits and then you need to be ready when the machine responds outside of its intended function . As in, car no work.....metal shavings inside oil hole.......need fix....money.....need money.....need call cab.......

Last edited by strand rider; 07-20-2012 at 03:08 AM. Reason: low skill in expression.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:08 AM
egrand333
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Synthetic oil was not recommended for the Ls1 engines in the 1998-2002 Camaros.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:39 AM
cdkcorvette7
Tech Contributor

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts

Let me help you out: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=site%3Aforums.c...nventional+oil

This has been discussed many times before; the search above will give you tons of threads to read on the subject. Some members run dino oil, I don't run dino in any car anymore. There's just not that much of a difference in cost to get a superior product.

Old 07-19-2012, 08:03 AM
strand rider
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by egrand333
Synthetic oil was not recommended for the Ls1 engines in the 1998-2002 Camaros.
I guess I should have been more specific. I was reading information about corvette engines and was repeating information from that reading .

The info they were publishing was only about corvettes.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:33 AM
YELLO C5
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NukeC5
I think as long as you run fully synthetic you are fine. Beware of oils that say synthetic blend. (Like Casterol etc.) they are not fully synthetic. Mobil1, Royal purple, and Valvoline make the best fully synthetics out there IMO.
Amsoil. Use to run Royal Purple at the track and had pressure problems at 292F. Switching to Amsoil seemed to improve that a bit.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:08 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

With the very close tolerances that the LS engine uses and the high heat that the engine runs, it will be tough running a conventional oil without changing it a LOT..

I’ve had NUMEROUS high mileage C5’s apart and I have YET to see ANY of the sludge deposits that you commonly see in engine using conventional oil. I have 60,000 miles on my 02 ZO6 and I can still see the honing marks in the cylinder walls.

Like Lucky stated,, run what you want, if it makes you feel like you making an improvement. Those GM Power Train Engineers are IDIOTS anyway..

If you think you’re going to save a few bucks,, think about changing the oil every 3K-4K miles vs. 12K-15K.
BC
Old 07-19-2012, 02:10 PM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

My questions weren't really geared toward cost. It was more from personal experience with engines that just didn't like the synthetics because of the really low viscosity. Things like lifters bleeding down as I see some people here have complained of. Leaks . I've had cars with lots of valvetrain noise using too low a viscosity oil. Yea, they were not built in the synthetic days, but this thing is a 98, and well, I'm new to LS motors. I don't think the 6.0 in my 03 Silverado counts. It does have fully synthetic oil in it however. It's my only vehicle that does.

I don't know how accurate the gauge in the car is, but it shows a hot idle oil pressure of around 30psi. Pretty much never above 40 when cruising. I figure that's partly because it takes the oil pressure at the top of the block and is showing what the valvetrain is getting, not what the crank gets. But I'm not sure that's right. If that's all the crank is getting, then I might be concerned.

I guess it's all trial and error. I guess I just have this mental problem with really low viscosity oils.
Old 07-19-2012, 02:24 PM
mikede824
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
St: Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Get notified of new replies

To Oil Choices? Is Synthetic Mandatory?

Old 07-19-2012, 02:49 PM
baxsom
Le Mans Master

Received 196 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee

If you think you’re going to save a few bucks,, think about changing the oil every 3K-4K miles vs. 12K-15K.
BC
the sad part is the people that run the GM spec oil and still change it every 3K miles. That is the real waste of money. Might as well light a 20 on every ever 4 months.

Mobil1 is not the GM required oil but it is the GM fill (marketing) The owners manual requires a specific GM spec which is now Dexos1. Look up the list of Dexos 1 approved oils and you cant go wrong. The reason supposedly the Corvette LS1 and the Camaro LS1 have different oil specs is the operating temp of each.
Old 07-19-2012, 03:22 PM
Vettmann17
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I love these oil threads.

Old 07-19-2012, 03:48 PM
oh1vette
Safety Car

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

and up from the ground came a bubblin crude...

Quick Reply: Oil Choices? Is Synthetic Mandatory?