C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/c light blinking

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 11:14 PM
Ssbarbr
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A/c light blinking

When I try to turn on my a/c I push the button and the light flashes and goes off. Someone told me it needs recharged but the fellas at autozone say that if the compressor won't come on the recharge bottle they sell won't work. Any advice. Thanks.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:22 PM
Ssbarbr
Advanced

This is a 97 by the way
Old 07-17-2012, 12:47 AM
Chris Stewart
Safety Car

Received 116 Likes on 76 Posts

I'd add a can and see what happens. Mine did that once and was due to a leak, that it was basically empty. You could check if there's any pressure at the port by the firewall. Push the valve and see if there's any pressure in it. That will really only tell if it's completely empty, or not.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:34 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Well,, I have to DISAGREE with the AutoZone Guy.

My 02 ZO6 was a FULL can low and the compressor would NOT come on. Same BLINKING and NO WORK as what your seeing..

Boil some water and find a pail that you can set the can of 134 in. I installed the fitting on the LOW (SUCTION SIDE) pulled the trigger and the charge went in easily. As soon as the system had enough pressure in it, I turned on the compressor and finished charging the system. You can also shake the can to help the LIQUID R-134 flash to a gas. When the liquid flashes to a GAS, it raises the pressure in the can and will easily recharge the system.

Just DO NOT turn the can UP SIDE DOWN!!! That will inject liquid in to the gas side. That would be BAD!

MAKE SURE that you purchase a 134 recharge with OIL in it.

Bill
Old 07-17-2012, 07:03 PM
bighank
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Default You can also temporarily jump the low pressure cutout switch to run the compressor

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
Well,, I have to DISAGREE with the AutoZone Guy.

My 02 ZO6 was a FULL can low and the compressor would NOT come on. Same BLINKING and NO WORK as what your seeing..

Boil some water and find a pail that you can set the can of 134 in. I installed the fitting on the LOW (SUCTION SIDE) pulled the trigger and the charge went in easily. As soon as the system had enough pressure in it, I turned on the compressor and finished charging the system. You can also shake the can to help the LIQUID R-134 flash to a gas. When the liquid flashes to a GAS, it raises the pressure in the can and will easily recharge the system.

Just DO NOT turn the can UP SIDE DOWN!!! That will inject liquid in to the gas side. That would be BAD!

MAKE SURE that you purchase a 134 recharge with OIL in it.

Bill
Good advice.
If the compressor won't run do to almost NO FREON in the system simply pull the connector off the low pressure cutout switch on the right front fender and use a paper clip or short piece of wire to allow the compressor to run while adding freon to the low pressure line.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:03 PM
Ssbarbr
Advanced

Thanks fellas. I'm getting ready to go out and try this. Let's hope it works.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:17 PM
Ssbarbr
Advanced

Well I put a can of refrigerant in and about half way through the compressor kicked on and I now have ice cold a/c. Thanks for the advice.
Old 07-23-2012, 01:41 PM
Ssbarbr
Advanced

Well now the a/c light will blink again until the car has ran for 10 or 15 min. Then it stays on but blows hot air. I read online that it could take up to 26oz of r134. It was completely empty when I put it in and started getting cold. (18oz). Should I put some more in to fill it up? Or does it sound like ive got a massive leak somewhere?
Old 07-23-2012, 01:52 PM
Trios
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Sounds like you have a nasty leak. Time to either take it to the professionals, or invest in some pretty spendy gear to fix it yourself (manifold gauges {$80}, vacuum pump{$150+}, leak dye and UV light or refrigerant sniffer{$?}).
Old 07-23-2012, 08:16 PM
bighank
Melting Slicks

Default Ususlly 2 12 or 14 oz cans are about right

Originally Posted by Ssbarbr
Well now the a/c light will blink again until the car has ran for 10 or 15 min. Then it stays on but blows hot air. I read online that it could take up to 26oz of r134. It was completely empty when I put it in and started getting cold. (18oz). Should I put some more in to fill it up? Or does it sound like ive got a massive leak somewhere?
On my decal on the right fender it says it takes just over 1 1/2 # of R134a
thats about 2 12 or 14 oz cans
Old 07-23-2012, 08:58 PM
Trios
Drifting

Originally Posted by bighank
On my decal on the right fender it says it takes just over 1 1/2 # of R134a
thats about 2 12 or 14 oz cans
However, if he has such a bad leak that he lost ALL of his refrigerant, he needs to fix the leak and pull a vacuum on his system. As it is, there is moisture in his a/c system and when that mixes with the refrigerant it will create an acid and that will cause component failures sooner or later (plus, his charge won't last long, so it's silly to not fix the leak and just keep pumping refrigerant into the system).
Old 07-24-2012, 05:16 PM
dmarkshark
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, if you are going to try it yourself. Get some refrigerant with dye in it. Get the little yellow glasses and light that goes with it, check your AC system first by looking at the lines and connections in case there was already some dye in it. IF there is no dye visable, put the freon with the dye in and see where its leaking, or take it to a professional. Just my 2cents for what its worth. I agree with Trios, need a fix.

Last edited by dmarkshark; 07-24-2012 at 05:18 PM.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:20 PM
Trios
Drifting

Originally Posted by dmarkshark
Well, if you are going to try it yourself. Get some refrigerant with dye in it. Get the little yellow glasses and light that goes with it, check your AC system first by looking at the lines and connections in case there was already some dye in it. IF there is no dye visable, put the freon with the dye in and see where its leaking, or take it to a professional. Just my 2cents for what its worth. I agree with Trios, need a fix.
I'm sorry man but this is bad advice...if the system has lost all refrigerant, it means it's also filled with air. Just finding and fixing the leak won't get the air out - he either needs the proper gear or a pro.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:32 PM
dmarkshark
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You are probably correct, but, he already added some so it wasnt empty,and had it running so? Is it really going to hurt it any more than he already did, and , really how many times does it take to hurt the system? I don't think that you keep adding, as thats stupid and costly, but he was up and running, with an obvious leak that he wanted to find.
How do the pros find the leak? Not being scarcastic, I really don't know? Maybe you can enlighten us on this? I am obviously not an AC pro, but I went through a lot getting my AC fixed, and just offering some ideas. Maybe someone on this forum can tell us exactly how to process this situation?
Old 07-25-2012, 03:57 PM
bighank
Melting Slicks

Default Refrigerant leaking out down not equal air getting in

Originally Posted by Trios
I'm sorry man but this is bad advice...if the system has lost all refrigerant, it means it's also filled with air. Just finding and fixing the leak won't get the air out - he either needs the proper gear or a pro.
When the pressurized refrigerant leaks out it does not mean that it is replaced with air. If there is a bad O ring or other place where the refrigerant seeps out then thats it. Air is not going to SEEP into the system. If you open the system by cracking open a fitting or removing a component then air could get in. If the leak is small there may still be a small amount of refrigerant in the system. Not enough to do any cooling but unless the car is in the vortex of a tornado the air is not going to get in.

Get notified of new replies

To A/c light blinking

Quick Reply: A/c light blinking