C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driver's seat won't move forward/back

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 11:46 AM
fatboy999
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Driver's seat won't move forward/back

I have a 2001 coupe and the driver's seat won't move forward or backwards. All the other functions work ok on the seat, but it tries to move both ways, but just jerks then stops. I can't see anything blocking the tracks. I've tried it both with me in the seat and out, and in the fully up and fully down positions. The passenger's seat works fine. Any ideas?
Old 07-08-2012, 02:25 PM
BigGun
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by fatboy999
I have a 2001 coupe and the driver's seat won't move forward or backwards. All the other functions work ok on the seat, but it tries to move both ways, but just jerks then stops. I can't see anything blocking the tracks. I've tried it both with me in the seat and out, and in the fully up and fully down positions. The passenger's seat works fine. Any ideas?
If it jerks like it is trying to move you will need to pull the seat and take a look at the tracks. Not hard to do, just a few bolts. It is much easier to get out with two people.
Old 07-29-2013, 03:50 PM
fatboy999
Advanced

Default seat won't move

Originally Posted by BigGun
If it jerks like it is trying to move you will need to pull the seat and take a look at the tracks. Not hard to do, just a few bolts. It is much easier to get out with two people.
Getting back to this problem, I can't see the rear bolts to remove the seat. Does anyone have a diagram of the how the seat is mounted to the floor?
Old 07-29-2013, 04:01 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

If you raise the seal to its fully raised position, you can get to the rear bolts from under the seat.

Look in the passengers foot well fuse box. There are RESETABLE CIRCUIT BREAKERS for each seat. The breaker/fuse legend is in the fuse box cover.

Swap the one from the passengers to the drivers seat and see if that fixes the issue. If the breaker is bad inside, it will trip at the wrong current draw and not move the seat.

You could also have a bad seat multifunction switch. You can remove the switch and open it up and inspect the circuit board inside for bad contacts and damaged components.

Bill
Old 07-29-2013, 04:14 PM
fatboy999
Advanced

Default seat won't move

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
If you raise the seal to its fully raised position, you can get to the rear bolts from under the seat.

Look in the passengers foot well fuse box. There are RESETABLE CIRCUIT BREAKERS for each seat. The breaker/fuse legend is in the fuse box cover.

Swap the one from the passengers to the drivers seat and see if that fixes the issue. If the breaker is bad inside, it will trip at the wrong current draw and not move the seat.

You could also have a bad seat multifunction switch. You can remove the switch and open it up and inspect the circuit board inside for bad contacts and damaged components.

Bill
Thanks for the reply Bill, the seat will move about a 1/4" in either direction when I push the switch, so I don't think it is a relay problem or a bad switch as it is getting power to the motor. If I had a diagram of the seat track, etc. it would help. Any other suggestions?
Dale
Old 04-02-2014, 01:35 AM
dubtrub
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sorry for resurrecting this old thread but I am experiencing this exact same problem. What was the final result and how was the problem rectified?

Oops! I see the OP hasn't visited the forum since 2013. Hopefully someone else may have the answer and can advise before I start removing the seat for inspection.

Last edited by dubtrub; 04-02-2014 at 01:38 AM.
Old 04-02-2014, 01:48 AM
BigGun
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by dubtrub
I'm sorry for resurrecting this old thread but I am experiencing this exact same problem. What was the final result and how was the problem rectified?

Oops! I see the OP hasn't visited the forum since 2013. Hopefully someone else may have the answer and can advise before I start removing the seat for inspection.
If it moves a little in both directions then either the motor or the track is getting in a bind. You will need to pull the seat to inspect.
Old 04-02-2014, 02:10 AM
dubtrub
Advanced

Originally Posted by BigGun
If it moves a little in both directions then either the motor or the track is getting in a bind. You will need to pull the seat to inspect.
Okay! Makes sense, Thanks! Fortunately I've bookmarked numerous forum discussions with photo's on seat removal etc.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:53 AM
fatboy999
Advanced

Default stuck seat

Originally Posted by dubtrub
Okay! Makes sense, Thanks! Fortunately I've bookmarked numerous forum discussions with photo's on seat removal etc.
Sorry I didn't get back to the forum with a report sooner but the car has been stored for the winter. I raised the seat up as far as I could, then got a "mechanic's mirror" (the ones on an extendable handle) and checked both tracks, and to my surprise, I found a dime (a 10 cent piece) wedged down in the left tract. I couldn't see it before, but with the mirror, I could see the inside of the track. With the help of the mirror and a haemostat, I could grab it and extract it. amazing how something so simple can drive you around "the bend".
thanks again, for your suggestions,
the fatboy
Old 04-02-2014, 12:14 PM
dubtrub
Advanced

Thanks for the update. That was certainly a fortunate easy fix. Hope I can be that lucky but so far my luck hasn't been running right. My Vette is at the paint shop getting the front facial repainted, hopefully it'll be home tomorrow and I can check under the seat.
Old 12-30-2022, 05:37 PM
samps
2nd Gear

I have the same problem "sort of" I had the rocking chair in my 2000 C5 put a repair kit in it, that went smooth. When I reinstalled the seat and plugged it in the forward and back control only moves the seat 1 inch at a time. The track seems to be clear and the wires only go one way, what did I do wrong or did something get messed up, Thanks for any help
Old 12-30-2022, 07:23 PM
grinder11
Race Director

Received 3,606 Likes on 2,556 Posts

You would have much better luck starting a new thread. The last post was almost 9 years ago
The problem you are experiencing is a dirty seat potentiometer. Either start a new thread, or/and do a search on cleaning the C5 Corvette seat potentiometer. Plenty of info out there......
The following users liked this post:
samps (12-30-2022)
Old 12-30-2022, 08:34 PM
samps
2nd Gear

Thank you, I'm a newbie to this group, I'll take your advice plus a little research. Thank you
Old 06-08-2023, 09:23 PM
jdmvette
Night Owl for life
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,252 Likes on 1,672 Posts

^ nice...your 1st post is to talk **** about a well respected long time forum member.

Great job

​​​​​
Old 06-08-2023, 10:53 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by jdmvette
^ nice...your 1st post is to talk **** about a well respected long time forum member.

Great job

​​​​​
Yea I thought the same thing .Ive had the interiors out and back in on several C5..

Well Mr. C5 EXPERT,..... If you use your observation resources, common sense and know anything AT ALL about wrenching, You can use a RATCHET, A LONG EXTENSION, A SWIVEL SOCKET, then raise the back of the seat to its FULLY RAISED POSITION, (move the seat back forward) you CAN easily remove the TWO NUTS that secure the rear rails. It really is not that difficult!
THATS WHY, I said raise the seat UP. With it stuck or intentionally positioned in the fully rearward position, If you raise the rear of the seat UP, You can access the nuts. They are NOT under the track. You just need the TOOLS specified above cause your arm wont fit in there that easily! Actually, if you try really really hard, you could most likely get your arm in there and get to the two nuts with the rear of the seat fully raised with a ratcheting gear wrench..
OH,,, I can see it now,, HEs mad and going out to check. Go ahead! I'm waiting.

My post was mainly aimed at trying to get the seat moving WITHOUT having to remove it. Ya know, like maybe make sure that the electrical power is getting to the multifunction switch, .and from the multifunction switch to the motors. BUT, you want to thump your chest and tell people that Forum members don't know what there talking about. Nice Job... Oh, You are also responding to a post from 12/30/2022. AND my response was on 07/29/2013. 07-29-2013 04:01 PM

Maybe next time, Just ask the QUESTION: "How do you get the nuts out with out moving the seat forward?" instead of trying to belittle people.

Have a great day and be safe.

Bill Curlee

Old 06-09-2023, 01:47 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

LOL!! I DOUBT that Mr. Winnie will respond!
Damn it, I get shamed on my first post!

Last edited by Bill Curlee; 06-09-2023 at 02:10 PM.
Old 07-11-2023, 11:26 AM
MAC5
Drifting

Received 230 Likes on 148 Posts

This looks like someone is headed to "permanent time out" in short order.
Old 07-11-2023, 06:14 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,342 Likes on 14,001 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Tempers need to calm down in this thread. Attacking forum members and name calling is prohibited by the rules. If this continues, expect some consequences. Some are already on their way.

If you can’t make your point in a logical manner minus the personal attacks, move on to another thread.

Get notified of new replies

To Driver's seat won't move forward/back

Quick Reply: Driver's seat won't move forward/back