C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5Z to C6Z conversion: C6Z caliper differences?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 01:25 PM
Anti-Venom SS
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C5Z to C6Z conversion: C6Z caliper differences?

I am about to pull the trigger on buying a set of C6Z calipers for a conversion on my C5Z...But I have a few questions. BTW I've been researching this for MONTHS and have read every single thread about it on CF, LS1Tech and Z06Vette

As I was browsing the parts websites, I noticed there was a difference in price between the 06-08 and the 09-up calipers. The 06-08 run MSRP of $640/$572 and the 09-up run MSRP of $233/$237. Huge difference!!!! This was the same on two popular GM parts websites. I even called my local GM dealer and they didn't know the difference, even said they were the same PNs. Anybody know?

Second question...Let's say I ordered the calipers, they are the correct ones blah blah blah... Caliper pins? I want to run Hawk one-piece pads because I've read nothing but bad things about the padlets and the pins' potential to back out. Do I need the $100 set of pins if I'm doing the one piece pad?

I know the "best" and "easiest" thing to do would be to order a kit from a vendor...But I can't justify 1800 bucks on brakes. Which is why I'm just doing the plain and simple two rotors and two calipers

Thanks
Old 07-06-2012, 01:44 PM
MotoMike02
Instructor

I cant see vendors selling the complete kit for 1800-2000 if its cheaper to source the parts seperately from the dealer. But I am interested to see these responses.
Old 07-06-2012, 01:46 PM
skeeters65
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interested in the price difference reason also?
Old 07-06-2012, 03:22 PM
MotoMike02
Instructor

I thought someone would have chimed in by now about how you cant purchase the parts separately or only certain model years would work.
Old 07-06-2012, 03:31 PM
Anti-Venom SS
Intermediate

Someone has to know... Are they missing the pins for the pads? Are they unpainted? $300 difference has to be worth something
Old 07-06-2012, 07:56 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

Did you talk to Gene at GM Parts House or Kevin at Parts Taxi? They can probably tell you what the price difference is. I know there are two different part numbers on the rotors with the old number costing close to twice as much as the new number for the same rotor. Even with the one piece pads you will still need the pins with the potential for them backing out. However, if all you are doing is street driving that shouldn't be an issue. What will be an issue is if you don't upgrade the rear brakes to the Z06 calipers/rotors. By doing what you are doing you are changing the ratio of front to back rotor sizes and more than likely changing the available piston area a lot which will increase the forward brake bias that is already built into the C5. You will not be getting equivalent brake action and the car may not handle well under braking. Mostly not a problem putt putting around the local city block at 20 mph but definitely dangerous at higher speeds.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To C5Z to C6Z conversion: C6Z caliper differences?

Quick Reply: C5Z to C6Z conversion: C6Z caliper differences?