C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help, no fuel presure after sitting-hard start

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 11:21 AM
BAL04MSG
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help, no fuel presure after sitting-hard start

Hello All:

It's been a long time since posting because I have had really good luck with this car. Now the issue, after the car sits for several hours or over night the engine will crank like crazy but possibly not start until I turn key off and retry starting and the engine jumps to life as it always has. What I have done thus far:

1- put fuel pressure gauge on fuel rail, turn key to on and get an instant 60-62 psi, can hear fuel pump operate for the 2-3 seconds it is supposed to
2- crank engine fuel pressure reads 65 psi with engine running
3- shut engine off pressure drops to 59 psi
4- over a few hours fuel pressure slowly drops to 5 psi
5- repeat above and happens each time
6- ran a tank of fuel with Chevron Techron cleaner no difference
7- ran second tank with Seafoam no difference
8- pulled fuel rail, pressurized fuel system, checked for leaky fuel injector none leak
9- listened to each injector with car running each sounds to be clicking/ operating evenly
10- with gauge on car and running I relieved fuel pressure via the "dump button" had great volume and the engine did not even stumble

The car is a 2004, 5.7L, 6 speed with 38,500 miles on it.My question is where/why am I losing fuel pressure in the rail over time?Any help will be greatly appreciated and thank you in advance.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:39 AM
Sherminator
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fuel pressure drop over a few hours is normal, if it drops to nothing within seconds then there is something wrong. I always let the pump prime before turning the key to start. As long as pressure comes up to 58psi within that first 2-3 sec prime and pressure holds for more than a minute then there is nothing worth looking at as far as fuel system issues go.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:00 AM
Dream C5
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check post #15
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...ard-start.html
Heres a pic of the line with check valve:

Please report back to assist others that may have this problem in the future

Get notified of new replies

To Help, no fuel presure after sitting-hard start

Quick Reply: Help, no fuel presure after sitting-hard start