C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS light on

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 03:29 PM
TorqueWinsRaces
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by TorqueWinsRaces
You are just an ***. You already deleted one post in this thread where you were flat out wrong, and now you start this one. You have nothing to teach me junior.

I'm not normally a grammar ****, but you write like a 3rd grader.
And, I'm wrong again...you deleted your post in my thread about the SKF bearing where you lectured me about reading the manual and I would see that they are different.
Old 07-02-2012, 03:32 PM
TorqueWinsRaces
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by cdkcorvette7
Which video?
Tell ya what...I'm trying to get out the door to go to Reno, my wife's yelling at me...not really...if you have not found it by the time I get back in a couple of days I'll find it for you.

Google something like "GM technician discussing battery reserve capacity for c5 corvette" that will probably get you close. Or maybe throw in CLB, but that was not the topic, the topic was the importance of using the correct battery.
Old 07-02-2012, 03:35 PM
cdkcorvette7
Tech Contributor

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cdkcorvette7
Which video?
Nevermind... I'm pretty sure I've seen it before. I wouldn't put a whole lot of weight behind what a "Real GM Technician" has to say on this issue as GM tried multiple times to fix this problem in the form of multiple different recalls and failed miserably.

Also, this is still purely theoretical without one single substantiated case of a BCM on a C5 actually being damaged by a CLB. If you don't want to run a CLB in your car because you think it'll hurt something that's your right. You bought it. I'll keep running it in mine.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:54 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

Originally Posted by hcb
Yes you are correct. One dealer qouted $4,000 out the door to replace the valve and computer. That price just didn't make any sense, Taking to another today that deals with corvette club members at a much better price, plus a warranty. I am not good with working on the engine, so will have to give them a try. I'll get back with results.
Yes, it can cost up to $4K to have the ABS problem resolved. You can work on it yourself and save some money but more than likely you will not get by for less than $1K. DTC C1214 points to the relay in the EBCM and the rest of the circuit that makes up the pump electrical supply. The relay can be replaced by ABSFixer for the $150 somebody else mentioned. However, as the dealer has already told you the pump may have to be replaced as well. If you read the diagnostic procedure that goes with the code it tells the mechanic to check the resistance from the pump motor windings to the pump motor case. If the resistance is less than infinity (open circuit) the pump has failed causing it to draw too much current through its voltage supply which may have burned the contacts on the relay located in the EBCM. If you have a digital voltmeter that can read ohms (most) it is easy to check the resistance between the motor winding and the BPMV case.

Depending on the results of the tests the procedure tells the mechanic to do the fix may be to replace or have ABSFixer repair the EBCM, replace the BPMV or replace both. If the pump is the reason the EBCM has failed you can get the EBCM repaired and that will likely sort of fix the problem for a short while but it will come back as the pump gets worse. The BPMV price from a forum vendor is probably around $800 to $900.

Bill
Old 07-08-2012, 09:35 AM
hcb
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ABS light on

Thanks guys, I had the unit replaced at the dealer. Seems to be working great. However I know which dealer "Not To Use" again for any service here in Middelburg FL. Very poor service and incompetent tech.
Just to remove the sticker on the windshiled with the oil change info, he cut the leather and never even said sorry. I am yet to get any reply from that dealer. So never again will they get a dime from me. Oh, the price was $1,420. What a difference with the other of $4,000.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:47 AM
cdkcorvette7
Tech Contributor

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by hcb
Thanks guys, I had the unit replaced at the dealer. Seems to be working great. However I know which dealer "Not To Use" again for any service here in Middelburg FL. Very poor service and incompetent tech.
Just to remove the sticker on the windshiled with the oil change info, he cut the leather and never even said sorry. I am yet to get any reply from that dealer. So never again will they get a dime from me. Oh, the price was $1,420. What a difference with the other of $4,000.
What did they replace?

Quick Reply: ABS light on