C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shock Recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 04:00 PM
TomWoodgeard
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Default Shock Recommendation

Hello everyone; I have a 2000 Nassau Blue Coupe that has 31K miles on it. It has the base suspension and has not been lowered (to my knowledge). I like the ride it has, (nice and cushy). I am going to autocross it a few times a year. It's probably due for a shock change soon. Can anybody recommend some shocks that will compromise on handling and comfort? I was looking into Edelbrock Performer IAS shocks because of the Ricor type valve in them. Ricor valves work great in Harleys, but Edelbrock has discontinued them, and Summit only has 1 left.
Thanks for any and all replies......Tom Woodgeard - Sarasota, FL
Old 06-22-2012, 04:12 PM
tomlink
Pro

Received 221 Likes on 124 Posts

I have a 2003 Z51 coupe. I recently replaced the stock shocks with Bilstein Sport shocks. I've heard a lot of comments regarding Bilstein Sport vs. HD vs. C6Z06 shocks, but all I know is that my SOTP indicator says they ride nice, and damp the motion like you would expect in a Corvette. Bottom line is that Bilstein products are world-class and these shocks are a great choice for either a 100-mile trip or a short one around some cones.

Last edited by tomlink; 06-28-2012 at 01:06 PM.
Old 06-22-2012, 04:31 PM
fendermender
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'll be following this as I've been considering the C6 GM shocks due to price. I've got the squeaks and from what I read it's probably the F45 shocks. Looking for the same. Ride and decent handling with ride first.
Old 06-22-2012, 04:38 PM
grillsja
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can HIGHLY recommend GM Parts Warehouse' set up from recent experience...they offer a great deal on 20012 z06 shocks and a set of Z51 sway bars for an amazing price and they work excellent!

I have this set up on my y2k base coupe and love it...all for about $400

Plenty of threads here about this, just search
Old 06-22-2012, 05:00 PM
grillsja
Advanced

Originally Posted by grillsja
I can HIGHLY recommend GM Parts Warehouse' set up from recent experience...they offer a great deal on 20012 z06 shocks and a set of Z51 sway bars for an amazing price and they work excellent!

I have this set up on my y2k base coupe and love it...all for about $400

Plenty of threads here about this, just search
Sorry, think it was $600 w/sways
Old 06-22-2012, 06:20 PM
TomWoodgeard
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '12

I did ask them about the setup, but they said that the Z06 shocks will firm up the ride a lot, maybe too much for me, and to just get the Z51 bars. I don't want my 2000 to ride like my '85 did. rattled every bone in my body. And it was the base suspension too!!
Old 06-22-2012, 06:22 PM
NukeC5
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wont say they are bad shocks, but I did the Bilstein HD's and have to say they feel exactly like the stock ones I replaced. The sway bars made a clear difference in the way the car handles, the shocks did nothing.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:28 PM
Kooker01Z
Intermediate

Go for Pfadt, the Johnny O'Connell shock/sway bar package. Just put it on my 01 z06 and absolutely amazing (the car is my daily driver). I have no problem guaranteeing that you will love this package. It's $1000 for the whole pack (bars, shocks, metal end links and poly bushings) and 100% worth every penny.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:47 PM
Afterthaut
Intermediate

I have a 2001 Z51 Coupe and I upgraded the shocks to Bilsteen Sports as some others have. I am very happy with my purchase. The car does seem to have sharper turn in and is more composed over bumpy pavement than it was with the stock dampers. The handling is go kart like now, even moreso than before.

It does have a TAD stiffer ride, but not by much. It isn't annoying or harsh by any means. It handles like a sports car should. Like I said, I feel I made the right choice, especially since I am on a budget.

It looks like you are looking into more expensive options, but I thought I would add my $.02 since it seems alot of people are interested in these suspension threads.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:26 PM
geezel
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I put the GM C6 Z06 shocks on my lowered 97 coupe and like them a lot. Not too stiff at all.
Old 06-23-2012, 12:44 AM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TomWoodgeard
Hello everyone; I have a 2000 Nassau Blue Coupe that has 31K miles on it. It has the base suspension and has not been lowered (to my knowledge). I like the ride it has, (nice and cushy). I am going to autocross it a few times a year. It's probably due for a shock change soon. Can anybody recommend some shocks that will compromise on handling and comfort? I was looking into Edelbrock Performer IAS shocks because of the Ricor type valve in them. Ricor valves work great in Harleys, but Edelbrock has discontinued them, and Summit only has 1 left.
Thanks for any and all replies......Tom Woodgeard - Sarasota, FL
PM Sent
Old 06-23-2012, 01:26 AM
kris6868
Burning Brakes

'04 Z06 shocks are great too
Old 06-23-2012, 09:16 AM
Cutlassmaster
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 84 Posts

I have a 99 Coupe with almost 50K on it and changed the shocks, sways /w bushings and end links. I went with the 2011/12 Z06 shocks with the upgraded sways with bushings that Gene with GM Parts House sells as a kit. I also got the new metal end links. Let me tell you, the car handles on the corners like it is supposed to and the ride is actually a little softer compared to the originals that were on it. I have about 4K miles on it since and love it. There are a lot of great shocks out there so if you can find someone that you can ride with that have different brands installed may help you make your decision. I normally don't go stock but am sure happy I did in this case.
GL
Chris
Old 06-23-2012, 10:05 AM
TomWoodgeard
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Kooker01Z
Go for Pfadt, the Johnny O'Connell shock/sway bar package. Just put it on my 01 z06 and absolutely amazing (the car is my daily driver). I have no problem guaranteeing that you will love this package. It's $1000 for the whole pack (bars, shocks, metal end links and poly bushings) and 100% worth every penny.
Well....I am on a budget and can't justify the Johnny O'Connell setup. I'm just looking for some handling improvement with not much of a harsher ride. (For me, the best of both worlds)
Old 06-23-2012, 10:13 AM
NukeC5
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well....I am on a budget and can't justify the Johnny O'Connell setup. I'm just looking for some handling improvement with not much of a harsher ride. (For me, the best of both worlds)
If its handling your after, a swaybars upgrade is the best thing. If your shocks really are bad, Id recommend the Bilstein sports for your car. I did the HD's and wish I went with the sports because I think the HD's are too long and are not able to dampen fully. I have a rough ride. But most people love their sports. Good price too.
Old 06-23-2012, 12:55 PM
Ricbear
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I did ask them about the setup, but they said that the Z06 shocks will firm up the ride a lot, maybe too much for me, and to just get the Z51 bars. I don't want my 2000 to ride like my '85 did. rattled every bone in my body. And it was the base suspension too!!
I have a 2000 also. The C6 shocks from Gene at GM PArtshouse are a good balance. The are not soft and bouncy like the stocks were. Dampen very well. A little stiff, quick dampening on bad bumps but I don't feel like they are bone jarring. Nice firmness on road handling, lot less floaty..
Old 06-23-2012, 03:14 PM
bighank
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Default C5 Z06 shocks and C5 Z51 sway bars

Better handling but a little rougher ride. If you go with C6 will be rougher still.

Get notified of new replies

To Shock Recommendation

Old 06-23-2012, 03:19 PM
VGLNTE1
Le Mans Master

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

For a good all around shock, I would use the GT2 coilovers from LG. They are only 1700 bucks or so and will make a world of difference
Old 06-23-2012, 04:57 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Shocks for better handling and shocks that provide a soft comfy ride are kind of in contrast with each other. I think Monroe makes a replacement shock that would keep the soft ride but they likely wouldn't help in the handling.

I actually doubt your current shocks are worn out. C5Z06 or C6Z51 sway bars will make a big improvement in the handling.

The C6Z shocks or the Bilstein Sports are really the only 2 alternatives at the low end of the scale. Both will give a similar ride. The Sports are about $50 more and will be a little better shock.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:17 PM
emullick
Heel & Toe

Default removal of old shocks

I have a set of new Bilsteins and have removed the attaching hardware of the right front, but the shock won't come out without compressing it. How to compress it?

Quick Reply: Shock Recommendation