C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

purging air after thermostat change?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 06:01 PM
Tar Heel
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Default purging air after thermostat change?

Just put a 160 thermostat in as I had ECS do a PCM tune. The water that leaked out I caught and added back to the reservoir. I might have lost just a little which I'll add back. How do I get the air out? I've heard start it with the cap off and it will work itself out. ??? Will that work?

Thanks for the help.
Old 06-08-2012, 06:23 PM
Lothar34
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tar Heel
I've heard start it with the cap off and it will work itself out. ???

Yeah, run it so it warms up, and after the thermostat opens wait a few minutes and it will eventually bleed itself.
Old 06-08-2012, 06:25 PM
hotwheels57
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Using search or search this forum (in the red banner) in C5 Tech with keywords "coolant system purging procedure" or similar, you'll find many past threads about the GM recommended procedure. Nothing ever gets deleted from the archives. It's there to find with the right keywords.

Here's just one...
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...nt-change.html
Old 06-08-2012, 06:32 PM
WKMCD
Race Director

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

As many times as I've changed my engine, changed my heads, changed my radiator, etc, etc, etc, I've never once followed the whole "must bleed" stuff. I just fill it up, warm it up a couple times with the fill cap off - topping it of as needed and I've never had an issue.

Just my $.02
Old 06-08-2012, 06:36 PM
Tar Heel
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by WKMCD
As many times as I've changed my engine, changed my heads, changed my radiator, etc, etc, etc, I've never once followed the whole "must bleed" stuff. I just fill it up, warm it up a couple times with the fill cap off - topping it of as needed and I've never had an issue.

Just my $.02
Thanks! That's what I thought. Just wanted to double check.
Old 06-08-2012, 06:39 PM
Tar Heel
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by hotwheels57
Using search or search this forum (in the red banner) in C5 Tech with keywords "coolant system purging procedure" or similar, you'll find many past threads about the GM recommended procedure. Nothing ever gets deleted from the archives. It's there to find with the right keywords.

Here's just one...
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...nt-change.html
Ah, the "do a search ****". I've always wondered why you folks pop in and say that when it would take just as much time to answer the question or simply ignore it and move on. If you don't have anything good to say don't say anything at all ... Too much time on your hands I suppose.

Thanks to those that actually helped.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:14 PM
Lothar34
Drifting

Ah, the "do a search ****". I've always wondered why you folks pop in and say that when it would take just as much time to answer the question or simply ignore it and move on. If you don't have anything good to say don't say anything at all ... Too much time on your hands I suppose.

Teach a man to fish and whatnot...
Old 06-08-2012, 09:27 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by WKMCD

Just my $.02
What he said.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:42 PM
BigGun
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 62 Posts

He sent you a link. What do you want? Someone to read it to you?
Old 06-09-2012, 02:52 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

alright folks it's pretty simple.....either offer help meaning more than "use the search, do a search" etc. or move on to a thread where your expertise would be put to better use.

Yes, it can be tiresome to answer the same old stuff everyday but if you don't want to be bothered don't even click the thread.
Old 06-09-2012, 06:08 PM
j84buick
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pewter99
alright folks it's pretty simple.....either offer help meaning more than "use the search, do a search" etc. or move on to a thread where your expertise would be put to better use.

Yes, it can be tiresome to answer the same old stuff everyday but if you don't want to be bothered don't even click the thread.
Wow I couldn't agree more. Seems like more and more people just post and tell someone to do a search. Not everyone has been trolling here for years and don't understand that subjects have been covered.
Old 06-09-2012, 10:15 PM
Lothar34
Drifting

Originally Posted by j84buick
Not everyone has been trolling here for years and don't understand that subjects have been covered.
But that's why the search feature is there. Specifically so these non-trollers don't need to start a new thread for a question that's been answered 50 times.
Old 06-10-2012, 02:13 AM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

I doubt changing the thermostat without dropping the coolant would cause any issues. Start it and watch if it overheats or not.

If you need or want to bleed the engine then you can loosen the coolant crossover pipe and it'll bleed the air out of the engine much quicker and easier than the factory procedure. If you don't know what I mean then you can do a search and you'll find previous threads with pictures explaining this.

The thing is that the "search ****" has been here long enough they know there are many excellent existing threads with the tech you are looking for. You could choose to just follow the advice to find this info and read it and see the pictures yourself. Or, you could just choose to call the poster names and possibly report them to a moderator. To me, the first option makes more sense....
Old 06-10-2012, 06:36 AM
bumble-z
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

lionelhutz, very well said & I couldn't agree more..

Get notified of new replies

To purging air after thermostat change?

Quick Reply: purging air after thermostat change?