C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anything wrong with Flowmasters?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 06:45 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,845 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Default Anything wrong with Flowmasters?

I've always been a Flowmaster guy for my past street machines because I like the throaty sound, but it doesn't seem to be a very popular or common choice around here. My exhaust is bone stock and doesn't even have chrome tips, and I was thinking that I could have dual FM's installed. I'm on a tight budget and could have this done for about $250 out the door, and even have the chrome oval tips tossed in as part of the package. Comments, opinions?
Old 05-29-2012, 07:27 PM
Awsum98
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Flow master rumble

I have flow masters on my vert and Ilove them..other vette owners behind me also love the sound compared to other exhausts. It's deep throaty and muscle car like and the chrome tips last forever !
Old 05-29-2012, 08:49 PM
Cybermind
Melting Slicks

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

The only problem with Flowmasters is that they are not stainless steel. They will rust out. That would be a deal breaker for me. I mean, even cheap econoboxes come with stainless steel mufflers these days.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:59 PM
C5Natie
Safety Car

Received 132 Likes on 64 Posts

Most Corvette owners dont really care for them based on performance. They may sound good, though thats a personal opinion, but they are quite restrictive flow wise. They are not your best choice if youre looking for performance. In a bone stock car though, just for sound, knock yourself out. They are $250 for a reason.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:20 PM
DIXZ
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I am old school and have always loved the sound of Flowmasters!

I have the Force II system on my car, and couldn't be happier!
Old 05-29-2012, 09:30 PM
CheezMoe
Melting Slicks

Received 100 Likes on 85 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13,'19-'20

Originally Posted by DIXZ
I am old school and have always loved the sound of Flowmasters!

I have the Force II system on my car, and couldn't be happier!
I'm old school and have alwys hated them on MY cars. Sound great on the outside, but horrible on the inside! Every flowmaster droooones when the RPM and harmonics align. It has to be something inherent in their design. I've purchased two pairs over the years (40 and 50 series) and both were out of the cars in a matter of months!

On the C3 I like MagnaFlows, and would always recommend them over any flowblaster!

For my recently aquired C5, based on popular opinion I'm going with a Corsa Sport system, when finances allow it! Good Luck. This is of course MY opinion on a very subjective topic!
Old 05-29-2012, 11:40 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

They're heavy.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:04 AM
Cybermind
Melting Slicks

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

In my opinion, you're better off keeping your OEM mufflers and just installing nice stainless or chrome tips.
I just don't believe in replacing OEM parts with inferior components no matter how cheap they are. You pay for what you get. The Flowmasters probably sound very nice but how long will they last?
Old 05-30-2012, 07:56 AM
warren s
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
I've always been a Flowmaster guy for my past street machines because I like the throaty sound, but it doesn't seem to be a very popular or common choice around here. My exhaust is bone stock and doesn't even have chrome tips, and I was thinking that I could have dual FM's installed. I'm on a tight budget and could have this done for about $250 out the door, and even have the chrome oval tips tossed in as part of the package. Comments, opinions?
What model of Flowmasters is this? Are they new or used?
I had them on my first 99 and loved them. They were $400 years ago from Summit and sure beat spending over a grand for a cat back system. They sounded great and were easy to install. I never got the impression the were more restrictive then the stock mufflers.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:00 AM
printmanjackson
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

for another $100 you can find a set of Zo6 exhaust and have a much nicer set up.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:17 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Originally Posted by Cybermind
In my opinion, you're better off keeping your OEM mufflers and just installing nice stainless or chrome tips.
I just don't believe in replacing OEM parts with inferior components no matter how cheap they are. You pay for what you get. The Flowmasters probably sound very nice but how long will they last?
The dual Flowmaster's on my daughter's (previously my) 2003 Monte Carlo are still going strong with no signs of rust or deterioration. Even the tips still look new. The car was purchased in 2002 and the mufflers were installed a week after so they've lasted 10 years so far, which is hardly inferior. That's not bad for $250 mufflers, and they make the 6 cylinder sound like a V8. Flowmaster also claims a 10% increase in HP, which is fairly accurate.

Last edited by Corvette_Ed; 05-30-2012 at 08:20 AM.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:18 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Originally Posted by warren s
What model of Flowmasters is this? Are they new or used?
I had them on my first 99 and loved them. They were $400 years ago from Summit and sure beat spending over a grand for a cat back system. They sounded great and were easy to install. I never got the impression the were more restrictive then the stock mufflers.
They were brand new, and the price included installation and the chrome tips.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:22 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Originally Posted by printmanjackson
for another $100 you can find a set of Zo6 exhaust and have a much nicer set up.
That's IF they can be found near me. It also means that I would have no warranty to cover them. Besides, what makes Z06 exhaust "a much nicer set up" aside from a weight reduction?
Old 05-30-2012, 08:39 AM
CactusCat
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 156 Posts

I've got Flowmasters on my 98 and love em. And despite the "drone" warnings that I've read, I have yet to hear it. To be fair, they were on the car when I bought it, so no experience with stock other that seeing/hearing on other cars. I'd say, for $250, you should go for it.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:55 AM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Received 615 Likes on 431 Posts

That's IF they can be found near me. It also means that I would have no warranty to cover them. Besides, what makes Z06 exhaust "a much nicer set up" aside from a weight reduction?
I will guarantee they flow better than any Flowmaster set up you can get. If youre looking for sound only, then go ahead and bolt up the Flomasters. If you want to put on a little performance and have a great weight savings as well as a material that will NEVER rust, then look for a nice Ti set up like was said above. The amount of R&D GM put into the Z06 exhaust system was pretty extensive and the results were wonderful. Bolt on some headers, an X pipe and a Ti cat back and dont look back.... or bolt on a pair of $250. mufflers on your $35k Corvette....
Old 05-30-2012, 09:27 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Originally Posted by 81c3
Bolt on some headers, an X pipe and a Ti cat back and dont look back.... or bolt on a pair of $250. mufflers on your $35k Corvette....
That might happen in a couple years or so, which would be the amount of time required for me to save up the couple thousand it would cost to purchase the headers, X pipe, and used (no warranty) exhaust system, and have them installed. In the meantime, $250 sounds a lot better than $2000+. I'm also still not seeing what the big benefit is aside from the weight. I live in Texas. Cars don't rust here.

Also, I didn't pay $35k for my Vette, and it was $47k new on the sticker according to its records. A C5 coupe is certainliy not worth $35k either.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:47 PM
printmanjackson
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

It's funny when people ask for your opinion and when you don't agree with their statement or choice they feel they have to defend themselves. It really no big deal, you like the mufflers then go but them. It's you car anyway so who cares

Get notified of new replies

To Anything wrong with Flowmasters?

Old 05-30-2012, 02:40 PM
moespeeds
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't sweat the rust thing. Aluminized exhaust tubing (steel with a light Oxidized Aluminum coating) is the industry standard, it will be many many years before you have to worry about them rusting out, no matter where you live. If your car is garage kept as most Corvettes are, it's a non-issue.
Old 05-30-2012, 02:48 PM
chaase
Team Owner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

That's not bad for $250 mufflers, and they make the 6 cylinder sound like a V8. Flowmaster also claims a 10% increase in HP, which is fairly accurate.
I really, really, really doubt that mufflers alone would give a 10% increase in HP on any car. On the C5s, they are good for maybe 3-5rwhp.

Last edited by chaase; 05-30-2012 at 04:08 PM.
Old 05-30-2012, 02:54 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Originally Posted by printmanjackson
It's funny when people ask for your opinion and when you don't agree with their statement or choice they feel they have to defend themselves. It really no big deal, you like the mufflers then go but them. It's you car anyway so who cares
It's also funny that when a question such as "Is there anything wrong with Flowmasters" is asked that the response doesn't answer the question. I didn't ask what would be better than Flowmasters, just if there would be anything wrong with using them.

Quick Reply: Anything wrong with Flowmasters?