C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LMC5 Column Lock Bypass

Old 05-19-2012, 01:58 PM
tstrobl1
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default LMC5 Column Lock Bypass

I have a '98 coupe that I've owned for 1 1/2 years. I never had a column lock problem and no recalls were ever done, but after reading about all the column lock issues I decided to do something about it. I bought the LMC5 from Compliance Parts. I made a mistake while installing it that I couldn't figure out. Richard at Compliance Parts patiently talked me through it, I discovered my error, the install was easy and the module works great. I would just like to say that Compliance Parts proved to be a great company to work with and their tech support was priceless. Now I have peace of mind that I won't be stranded with a column lock issue!
Old 05-19-2012, 10:51 PM
Baldfart
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good to hear!
Old 05-20-2012, 11:14 AM
Jumper11
Racer

Default Lmc5 r

I agree Richard is a great help however, I still get the PULL KEY message. I installed the LMC5 and talked to Richard explaining my problem He then sent the LMC5 R and have the same issues. It's a 2002 M6. Sterring column lock and 2 MPH cutoff are disabled but I keep getting the PULL KEY message. Not every time, usually the first start of the day when the car sits for a couple of hours. Battery show 12.4 static even after after it sits for two days. Has anyone else had this issue? Also, I can't understand why after I get the PULL KEY message and wait 10 sec, why it works correctly on the second try? I would expect that if its a battery low voltage issue, I would get the message everytime. I turn the car on and wait to see if I get the message, if I don't, I start the car. If I do, I pull the key, wait then start it normally. Need some guidance. I emailed Bill Curlee in hopes that he'll know what's up.
Old 05-20-2012, 11:48 AM
Jumper11
Racer

Me too. According to richard, everything is hooked up correctly. It's beyond me to figure it out. I counting on the forum to help me out.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:21 PM
Jumper11
Racer

I believe its a vette issues. I got some recommendations to check grounds. over 200K sold with no issues. This forum has helped me with other issues I wanted to see if anyhone else shared these problems. Richard from Compliance has be very helpful and is willing to continue to help me solve this problem. I may put it back to OEM spec to see if it goes away.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:51 PM
F&Yb0dluvr
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My column locked up today...luckily in my driveway. I spoke to Richard this afternoon and I'm going to check out a couple things first but I will be ordering the LMC5 kit tomorrow. Figures I've only had the car one year in it's 13 and I get stuck with it.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:27 PM
bmfvette
Drifting

Received 115 Likes on 74 Posts

Well, I guess it's time for me to order one for peace of mind (cause luck may run out one day).
I have a 02 MM6 Vert that I bought new and has never had any issues with the CL (and never been back to the dreaded stealership for any recalls or anything else for that matter).

I have come to the conclusion that I don't own the only vette without this problem and it's just a matter of time....

So my first attack at this will be with the lmc5 but now the OP is saying even that is not fool proof. WTF!

Last edited by bmfvette; 05-30-2012 at 01:35 PM.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:26 PM
Front Runner
Racer

I installed my LMC5 today. The instructions were good and it took about 45 minutes. Started the car several times and drove around a little. No problems.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:49 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,839 Likes on 1,800 Posts

Originally Posted by bmfvette
I have come to the conclusion that I don't own the only vette without this problem and it's just a matter of time....
I'm another that's not having a problem, but I've got an LMC5 ordered so I can prevent the problem before it strikes. My Y2K has had the recall repair done twice; apparently the first time was prior to the recall and the second was the actual recall in 2004. I wouldn't worry too much about having the same problem as the OP; many of the forum members have installed the bypass without trouble. Those that did have problems called the seller and went through the troubleshooting process until the problem was fixed. Some have spent an hour or longer on the phone with them, however long it took until everything was working as it was supposed to be, which is pretty damn good customer service.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:17 PM
tstrobl1
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by bmfvette
Well, I guess it's time for me to order one for peace of mind (cause luck may run out one day).
I have a 02 MM6 Vert that I bought new and has never had any issues with the CL (and never been back to the dreaded stealership for any recalls or anything else for that matter).

So my first attack at this will be with the lmc5 but now the OP is saying even that is not fool proof. WTF!
I'm the OP and the only problem with mine was the fool installing it(me).
Old 06-18-2012, 06:56 PM
Genicee
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just install the LMC5 the other day. It works perfect. Richard was very helpful and courteous. Wonderful people and product.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:11 PM
tstrobl1
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Genicee
I just install the LMC5 the other day. It works perfect. Richard was very helpful and courteous. Wonderful people and product.
Old 07-15-2012, 06:02 AM
foundvettelifeisgood
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 181 Likes on 85 Posts

The LMC5 is the best $41 I've ever spent. Installed it yesterday. Very simple, high quality product, thorough directions, etc. My car's only symptom was the pull key message, and it wiped that out.
Old 07-15-2012, 12:06 PM
Jumper11
Racer

I had the column lock issue and installed both LMC5 and LMC5R mod. The column issue is gone but I get the pull key message at least once a day. Richard has been helpful but he believes my BCM is not 100%.
Old 07-17-2012, 01:17 PM
Hot98Vette
1st Gear

Default Lmc5

I have a 98 6-speed that I installed the LMC5 on in Oct. 11. Everything worked fine until late May/early June 12. Contacted Richard of Compliance and we conversed for over an hour trying to find the problem. Rechecked connections, etc. Tried a suggestion from another thread in the forum as well as from Richard to clean the key with alcohol. I did and havent had a problem since. The pull key/wait 10 sec. as well as the car shutting off was the initial problem that resurfaced approx. 7/8 months later. Richard is a super patient guy to work with and the company stands behind its products 100%. Before I installed the LMC5, the pull key code would happen at no particular time. Car could be cold, hot, when I stopped for gas, etc. Since cleaning the key, I've tried every situation to get the pull key message to appear and it hasnt. Hope this helps. I couldnt believe that something so simple could actually work.
Old 07-17-2012, 02:05 PM
KillSwitchNY
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh man, I can't stand that damn column lock. The day after my birthday (about 2 weeks ago) which was also the start to my vacation, the column locked up! It was actually able to be freed up by jamming the wheel left and right. Now I was terrified of getting stuck somewhere. All fixed now though, thankfully.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:39 PM
wcsinx
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts

I started getting the "Service Column Lock..." msg on my '02 about half a year ago. When I tore into my car, I found that the CLB had at some point been installed but later disconnected. So I'd been running with the plain old stock equipment all this time without issues.

I ordered the LMC5 based on recommendations I read here. The unit is well made, and the instructions were very clear and easy to follow. I really like the way it takes care of all the signals right at the BCM and removes all that CL circuitry from the mix including the CL relay. My car was driveable once again, but I would still get a "Pull Key.." msg if the car had been sitting more than a few minutes. So every morning it was... insert key, turn car on, turn car off, pull key out, insert key, turn car on, good to go. annoying but livable ... Called Richard and he sent out the revised edition of the LMC5, and now everything works perfectly.

Get notified of new replies

To LMC5 Column Lock Bypass

Old 08-28-2012, 04:11 PM
got-20z
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well this situation hit me yesterday. I went to move my car to clean out my garage and I got the PULL KEY MESSAGE along with SERVICE COLUMN message after starting the car. My column didn't lock up but I was also getting the shut off as well.
In the end it took me about 5 starts just to get the car back in my garage (slight incline).

Yesterday I ordered the LMC5 from compliance and hoping I get it by the end of this week because it's killing me not getting to drive my car.

Before I install it, I would like to thank all of those who posted here because it has helped me a ton. I just hope the install goes as smooth as I hope and that I do not still get the PULL KEY message.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:24 AM
Raiku898
Pro

Hope it works out for you. Richard was great when I installed mine. Some of the best customer service I have ever gotten.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:24 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,839 Likes on 1,800 Posts

Originally Posted by Raiku898
Hope it works out for you. Richard was great when I installed mine. Some of the best customer service I have ever gotten.
I second this. My car turned out to be the oddball 1 in 200,000 and the LMC5 didn't prevent the pull key message and the 2 mph fuel cutoff, which hit me repeatedly while I was out with with my car club. I spoke to him the next day and he had an LMC5-R and a second LMC5 on the way to me, which I received the following day. So far everything has worked just fine with the replacement and when I get back home from vacation I'll be installing the second LMC5 to see if the first was bad somehow.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LMC5 Column Lock Bypass