C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's Inside Your 97-00 ABS Module (Photos)

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 11:28 AM
csc67
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ron,

First of all, thanks for the time and effort you are putting toward this resolving this issue

Do you happen to have an update?

Has anyone contacted Steve Stringfellow lately to see if he is interested in providing assistance?
The following users liked this post:
mrr23 (10-08-2015)
Old 09-13-2012, 03:28 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

I'm glad to see that this post is still up and running.

If anyone has a defective 97-2000 EBTCM, maybe we can try to figure out whats wrong with it. The more we play with these units, the more we learn and maybe we can come up with common failures and fixes.

If the microprocessor is defective, STICK A FORK IN IT,,,, ITS DONE! BUT,,If the problem is a common component on the main board or a solder issue,, those issues are easily resolved.

Mike

Im aware that they wave solder the boards. They still do a lousy job!

Bill
mrr23 (10-08-2015)
Old 09-13-2012, 09:46 PM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----
Received 341 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
I'm glad to see that this post is still up and running.

If anyone has a defective 97-2000 EBTCM, maybe we can try to figure out whats wrong with it. The more we play with these units, the more we learn and maybe we can come up with common failures and fixes.

If the microprocessor is defective, STICK A FORK IN IT,,,, ITS DONE! BUT,,If the problem is a common component on the main board or a solder issue,, those issues are easily resolved.

Mike

Im aware that they wave solder the boards. They still do a lousy job!

Bill
Bill I do have an extra Unit that is defective - I will have to dig it out.

I will be gone tomorrow but will be around this weekend. Here is my email - madmatt9471@sbcglobal.net

I just need to know where to send it to you!

Thanks,Matt
mrr23 (10-08-2015)
Old 09-14-2012, 12:22 AM
RonSSNova
Safety Car

Received 323 Likes on 264 Posts

Hey boys,

Unfortunately my FA gal never tried to dissolve the goo. She pretty much figured that anything that would do so woulr ruin the already dead circuitry.
I should get it back from her I guess.
And be happy mine is working fine!

Ron
mrr23 (10-08-2015)
Old 09-14-2012, 12:20 PM
FL_Dave
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default CPU? Maybe...

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee

Bill
I'm not so sure that a failed microcontroller would be an impossible fix. Usually these things are a standard device (eg 80c196) with propriety microcode. Given the low volumes for this vehicle, that chip is probably not full custom. If so, one might be able to program another CPU then surface mount it into the old board. This type of soldering isn't something most of us do in our spare time but computer manufacturers do it every day. (Humbly contributed .... as I have a great deal of respect for Mr Curlee and all the help he has provided to us Vette owners.)

Dave
mrr23 (10-08-2015)
Old 09-14-2012, 06:47 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by FL_Dave
I'm not so sure that a failed microcontroller would be an impossible fix. Usually these things are a standard device (eg 80c196) with propriety microcode. Given the low volumes for this vehicle, that chip is probably not full custom. If so, one might be able to program another CPU then surface mount it into the old board. This type of soldering isn't something most of us do in our spare time but computer manufacturers do it every day. (Humbly contributed .... as I have a great deal of respect for Mr Curlee and all the help he has provided to us Vette owners.)

Dave
]

Dave

NOTHING is impossible to fix,, but sometimes its way beyond what the ordinary person has access to. I watched a RE BALL Solder a Processor in a computer on U tube. That was pretty cool and he also fixed a cold solder joint on a PC Main board in his oven.

How would you get the EBTCM program out of the processor and into another one?

Is there an easy way of gold disking a processor?

If you have that much experience with electronics and access to all the specialized equipment, you should look into repairing C5 Instrument Panel Clusters (IPC) You could make a fortune!

Bill
mrr23 (10-08-2015)
Old 09-15-2012, 01:41 PM
FL_Dave
Instructor

Default collaboration

Hi Bill,
I’m not advocating that ABS CPU fix is for everyone, I’m just saying let’s get the coating off the board and see what we’re looking at. We have an amazing wealth of knowledge in the group and many seem motivated to continue enjoying their C5’s w/o those pesky warning messages. I can contribute some knowledge but need help from others. Together, maybe we’ll come up with something.

I don’t know what cpu is on the ABS printed circuit board but I do know that Intel and Motorola and microcontrollers were popular around that time. Also, unlike personal computers and cell phone manufacturers, General Motors had a long design cycle and long life for their products (a few years for the former vs. a decade or more for automotive manufacturers).

The annual volumes for C5s were 20ku - 30ku or so and the ABS module isn’t commonly available - suggesting the design was somewhat unique to that generation of cars. Those volumes aren’t large enough to justify a custom CPU. So it seems likely they used a programmable microcontroller and added their own proprietary code.

I don’t know when the C5 ABS was designed, but let’s say it was around 1995. One popular and inexpensive microcontroller that was commonly used at that time for these kinds of applications was the 80c196 in the 68 pin PLCC package. If it is a microcontroller in a PLCC package GM may have either used a socket or soldered the chip in place. If they used a socket, then R&R of the chip is pretty easy. If the PLCC is soldered, many “rework” technicians are quite skilled at removing and replacing those chips (search “drag soldering PLCC” on youtube). Given the solder quality of other electronics in the C5, it’s a reasonable bet that a quick drag solder would fix some of the CPU issues. But let’s say soldering doesn’t work.

What about the microcode? I doubt GM would hand over the code, but it’s possible. If they don’t, I’m a little rusty on programming microcontrollers. For example, I can’t remember if you can simply put a working uC in one side and program another. Fortunately, if we do get that far, I have friends, and some of them really like doughnuts.

So I’m not saying there is an easy solution to a CPU failure, I’m just saying post a good photo of an exposed board and let’s have a look.
Dave
mrr23 (10-08-2015)
Old 09-15-2012, 03:07 PM
RonSSNova
Safety Car

I can get better if you like. As close as you like.
The devices in question aren't SMD. More than likely BGA flip chip devices with underfill. Very difficult to rework. If not impossible.

Removing the substrate from the housing would also likely be near impossible w/o cracking it. Shoot, cracked substrate might be the real issue. Except the crack would be VERY hard to see.

Ron
mrr23 (10-08-2015)
Old 09-15-2012, 05:20 PM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----

Originally Posted by RonSSNova

The devices in question aren't SMD. More than likely BGA flip chip devices with underfill. Very difficult to rework. If not impossible.

Removing the substrate from the housing would also likely be near impossible w/o cracking it. Shoot, cracked substrate might be the real issue. Except the crack would be VERY hard to see.

Ron
Ron,
What year is this one off of?

I still have that other one in the box on the shelf for use too!

With that one if it were to sit for a few hours with the power unclipped and let cool down it would work for about 15-30 miles depending on road conditions etc. sometimes it wouldn't it would just set even on a decent smooth road.

But I do have it still!

Thanks,Matt
mrr23 (10-08-2015)
Old 09-15-2012, 06:44 PM
RonSSNova
Safety Car

This is an ABS only unit, not AH. I believe it is from a 99? Not sure, I don't have it here, and it was given to me by Vettenuts.

I bet yours could be fixed.....no guarantees, but it has an intermittant. Heat related at that. I know, re-route one of your AC ducts up front to it so it stays cool all the time.....

I'll have time to play with this stuff over the winter. I'll ping you and you can send it up! Easy enough to take apart and check the obvious.

Ron
mrr23 (10-08-2015)
Old 09-15-2012, 08:13 PM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

This is an ABS only unit, not AH. I believe it is from a 99? Not sure, I don't have it here, and it was given to me by Vettenuts.

I bet yours could be fixed.....no guarantees, but it has an intermittant. Heat related at that. I know, re-route one of your AC ducts up front to it so it stays cool all the time.....

I'll have time to play with this stuff over the winter. I'll ping you and you can send it up! Easy enough to take apart and check the obvious.

Ron
Right on! Let me know and I will get it out and in the mail!

Thanks,Matt
mrr23 (10-08-2015)
Old 09-16-2012, 09:09 AM
FL_Dave
Instructor

Default How do you delete a post?

Ron
Thanks Ron. I'm eating crow over here! Indeed this is a tough rework, and no markings on the chip. Bugger.

I appreciate reading the more informed answer, even if it isn't mine. I can't speak to the number of shops able to R&R BGA and don't have a good plan, off the top, to make progress on failed modules.

Are any forum members aware of instances where GM has licensed proprietary designs on Corvettes to outside houses? I know it is a stretch but otherwise we're left with salvaged units or lucky fixes on intermittent failures.

Dave

Last edited by FL_Dave; 09-16-2012 at 09:10 AM. Reason: remove image
mrr23 (10-08-2015)
Old 09-16-2012, 11:57 AM
RonSSNova
Safety Car

No crow eating. They are too hard to cook!
I need to get back with the Failure Analysis folks and at least try to get the goo out. Nothing to lose on the module we have to play with.
mrr23 (10-08-2015)
Old 09-16-2012, 12:22 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by FL_Dave
Thanks Ron. I'm eating crow over here! Indeed this is a tough rework, and no markings on the chip. Bugger.

I appreciate reading the more informed answer, even if it isn't mine. I can't speak to the number of shops able to R&R BGA and don't have a good plan, off the top, to make progress on failed modules.

Are any forum members aware of instances where GM has licensed proprietary designs on Corvettes to outside houses? I know it is a stretch but otherwise we're left with salvaged units or lucky fixes on intermittent failures.

Dave
Dave

If I were a guessing man and put a little GM Logic behind that question, heres how I see it.

You would have to ask the question to the correct person who could filter it up thru people who could see the benefit in letting the info go.

As I see it,, NO ONE at GM has a remote idea that this is an issue and doesn't even care about legacy issues. They are more concerned about the C7 and VOLT!

We have to let them know that its becoming a serious C5 legacy issue and theres a need to resolve it.

If the correct person is asked to look into it,, I would guess that they would contact the correct people and they would most likely bid out the rights to the design data, programming and process and have some share in licensing and profit. Gotta reduce that red line profit loss some how...

Bill
mrr23 (10-08-2015)
Old 09-16-2012, 12:33 PM
RonSSNova
Safety Car

How to find the "correct" person?

An inside track would be the best bet, but it doesn't seem like anyone on this board knows that person.

The other possibility I see is that someone does know this person, or persons, and will see it as a money making opportunity and isn't going to tell us any details to get moving on this. Sorry, but we live in a greed based economy.

This info all exists inside GM somewhere.

Ron
mrr23 (10-08-2015)
Old 09-16-2012, 01:22 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Ron

Its not knowing the person that says DO IT.. Its knowing the person that is a GM Insider that is willing to push the idea UP the Chain Of Command to that DO IT person.

I may have a microscopic bit of access and will see if I can get it to pan out. All I can do is ask. Dont get your hopes up.

Bill
mrr23 (10-08-2015)
Old 09-16-2012, 02:30 PM
Phanni
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 847 Posts

Bill, what would be involewd in order to upgrade and early C-5 to the newer technology of the 2001+? EBCM, harness, reprogram, etal...Surely it isn't an unsurmountable task..
mrr23 (10-08-2015)

Get notified of new replies

To What's Inside Your 97-00 ABS Module (Photos)

Old 10-02-2012, 11:37 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default ★★★★★★★★★ ► CHUCK CoW NOW REPAIRS 1997 - 2000 DISCONTINUED C5 ABS UNITS ◄ ★★★★★★★★★

CHUCK CoW NOW REPAIRS 1997 - 2000
DISCONTINUED C5 ABS UNITS

By now, many of you have suffered along with me and

we likely share the frustration of dealing with C5 Corvettes

and their ABS / TC / MAGNASTEER problems.

The familiar codes C1214 / C1281 / Etc. "service vehicle soon" or

"ABS" on the dash...or "Service active handling". Unfortunately,

GM has discontinued these units and nobody out there offers

an overhaul service for them. Prices at the dealer were $1200

to $1400 WHEN THEY WERE AVAILABLE....and NOW THEY ARE NOT

EVEN AVAILABLE....New or used. If you're lucky to get a used one...

How long do you think it's going to last??? What are you going to pay???

You're lucky to find them in a junkyard...or on E-Bay, but those that

have them know what they are worth and get LARGE money for them.

For the later design ABS controllers, a quick call to some of the forum

vendors will net you a "repaired" unit, but nobody I've run into works

on the 2000 and earlier units..... BIG waste of time trying to find someone...

And how nice that customer feels in his beautiful C5 with the ABS light on.

-----------------------------------------

The other day, I got a call from a repair shop struggling with a 2000 C5

with the same problems.... Having several cores here, I decided to give

it a try swapping ABS units with one of my "GOOD" cores.... Trouble was,

there is one WITH JL4 and one WITHOUT. Thinking I was smart, I tried

the incorrect unit in the car and figured I could "TECH II" the BCM into

not seeing the JL4 option... Partial success, but still had a light....

Then looked up the diagrams for both options and re-wired the car for the

other Module..... NOT SO SMART... WASTED a whole day!

Now, I'm up to my neck in wasted time with ZERO profit for the day....

FREEK-IT!, let's tear it apart! .....and off we went.

I am no circuit board jockey or electrical whiz, but I know enough to get around....

We did some diagnostics and narrowed it down to the Magnasteer relay...

The pics below show most of the progress....

Using the "Corvettes of Westchester SUPER MICROSCOPE" we were able to

see that the contact on the Magnasteer relay was crapped up good...

Cleaning was an option, but this one was too far gone (see pics below)

and I was already in this mission up to my neck.....

Now, I was in my second day with this project and we tore it apart!

SHAZAM!!!

I have to say, I've blown up more computers and electrical modules

trying to fix them and I never really expected to get this one right,

but HERE IT IS.... FIXED! Drove around in the rain all day, locked up the

brakes and ABS came on.....Tested Magnasteer with the TECH II and ....

It's all GOOD!

Follow the pics below from teardown to the final product... I've actually

got ideas for how to streamline this procedure that I'll test on the next one...

One thing to note... It is possible for MANY things to be wrong with your ABS

and I'm not claiming to be able to repair all of them.... I have however found

that most of the failures can be repaired this way.

I don't really want to have everyone start shipping units to me, but for

those willing to come here for the diagnostics and repair, I'll make you

glad you did.....

Hopefully, I can save some of you some headaches and some MONEY!

THE ABS DESIGN THAT FAILS.
The big V is for Active Handling or JL4 option.

The main board removed.

THE board out and the brain exposed.

THE BAD relay contacts.

THE board soldered back in.

THE new relay on the right.

Re-Printed form one of my new threads...

THE ABS UNIT REPAIRED.

THERE IS HOPE FOR 1997 - 2000 C5 ABS UNITS!

Call ANY TIME!
914-332-0049

Chuck CoW

mrr23 (10-08-2015)
Old 10-03-2012, 12:18 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Excellent job Chuck!

Bill
mrr23 (10-08-2015)
Old 10-03-2012, 08:02 AM
CactusCat
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 156 Posts

This is some really great hopeful news. Way to go COW!!! Lets hope this leads to an assured repair in the very near future.
mrr23 (10-08-2015)

Quick Reply: What's Inside Your 97-00 ABS Module (Photos)