C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

mayomaneast

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 05:34 PM
mayomaneast
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mayomaneast

Hi all,
Have a '98 and looking for the RIGHT BATTERY....cranking amps info would be helpful. Currently have 650 crank amp. Is this okay?
Old 05-03-2012, 02:47 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Ya know,,,,,,,,,,, I went to Autozone the other day and they had a OPTIMA Display and I about fell over when I saw that they were $199.00 for a RED TOP

I have found that a standard WALMART lead acid off the shelf battery will operate and start our C5's just as well as some exitoc battery.

Replaced the OEM battery in my 06 Z51 Coupe with a walmart battery. Workes excellent,

My O2 Z has a red top. What SPECIAL services did it provide me over a standard battery?? NONE

So, its off to walmart for a new 02 Z battery.

Just look in their application book and get the replacement battery recommended.

BC
Old 05-03-2012, 02:56 PM
chaase
Team Owner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

I have a Duralast Gold and it has been fine. I have heard Costco batteries are actually pretty good. You don't need anything super special just get the right one for your year car.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:37 PM
seattle
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

Johnson Controls make batteries for Wal Mart, Costco, Autzone etc. They are pretty much the same thing with the big differences being price and the length of the warranty. I currently have a Red Top in my 98 that I bought from Costco a few years ago. Costco has since quit carrying them and now only sell their Kirkland brand lead acid batteries. The next battery I get for my 98 will not be a Red Top. They have become too expensive. I just replaced the battery in my 04 Z06 with a Wal Mart battery because Costco doesn't sell one for a 2004 Corvette with top posts.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:53 PM
1stGlance
CF Senior Moments Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
Ya know,,,,,,,,,,, I went to Autozone the other day and they had a OPTIMA Display and I about fell over when I saw that they were $199.00 for a RED TOP

I have found that a standard WALMART lead acid off the shelf battery will operate and start our C5's just as well as some exitoc battery.

Replaced the OEM battery in my 06 Z51 Coupe with a walmart battery. Workes excellent,

My O2 Z has a red top. What SPECIAL services did it provide me over a standard battery?? NONE

So, its off to walmart for a new 02 Z battery.

Just look in their application book and get the replacement battery recommended.

BC

However I am wondering if there is some difference in the possibility of "leaking" - between the different batteries mentioned? I have always been concerned about that since some of the electronics reside under the battery on my old C5 ??
Old 05-03-2012, 04:08 PM
dougbfresh
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Want the best, get an AGM
Old 05-03-2012, 04:10 PM
seattle
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by 1stGlance

However I am wondering if there is some difference in the possibility of "leaking" - between the different batteries mentioned? I have always been concerned about that since some of the electronics reside under the battery on my old C5 ??
There have been a lot of posts regarding that subject. I believe the main reason for leaks was from over tightening the cables onto the battery side posts and cracking the battery case.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:06 PM
bestvettever
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Battery Suggestions

Hi Guys, I'll throw my 1 1/2 cents in on my experience with my 2003 AE vert. When I got the car 5 years ago the battery went dead about a week after I got it. It was the original Delco Agm from the factory. I replaced it with a Delco 75 Series AGM oem replacement. It was the battery that was listed as the official replacement battery. It was 650cca, and 85 Reserve Cap. I don't drive the car a lot or very often so when it sits for long periods of time I use a Battery Master Plus. It's a good maintainer with a desulphating cycle. The battery gave me no problem until last week. Even plugged in it was dead as a doornail. After checking the maintainer on another battery, and checking the vette for possible shorts and heavier draws than normal, I ascertained that the bat was no good AND ALL ELSE WAS OK. So I did a bit of research, and the new common wisdom is that the vette really needs and calls for a battery with at least a 120 reserve cap rating. Well try and find one that won't cost you your first born. Anyway long story short, I finally found that Advanced Auto sells a 78 series Maint free, but not sealed or agm bat that has a 700cca, and 115 Reserve Cap. for 114.00 tx included, so that is what is in the car now, and works fine. I don't know if it will live longer than the other 2 did or not but I suspect it will, because of the increased Reserve Cap. I really don't worry about it leaking because that was a very specific problem Delco had with it's oem bats for a short time, and was corrected years ago. By the way, it is a 78 series which is 1" longer than oem, but just about identical in all other dimensions, and it fit in perfectly.
Luck to all
Old 05-03-2012, 07:18 PM
StatmanRN
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Ive had bad luck with the Red top optimas [3 on other vehicles] and will never buy another. Historicly I've done well with the Delcos but when I bought my 01 a 1.5 y/o declco cracked a post off and stranded me. No it wasn't overtightened, and no they wouldn't warranty it. Went with a top of the line Diehard due to worries about leaks over the electronics, >5 years, never an issue.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:38 PM
Tyteflows
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

If you go to advanced auto parts dot com there is a 20% off total order if purchasing online.

Bought it online, drove to the store 10 minutes later and picked it up.

I bought a yellow top for just under $150, and never have to worry about a leaking battery on my computer ever again, plus I have massive amount of CCA on this sucker!

Get notified of new replies

To mayomaneast

Quick Reply: mayomaneast