C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone tried swapping the odometer EEPROM from non HUD cluster to HUD cluster?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 06:20 PM
DngrZne
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Has anyone tried swapping the odometer EEPROM from non HUD cluster to HUD cluster?

I'm toying with the idea of trying to swap the EEPROM chip from my own gauge cluster into my new used HUD cluster to maintain the odometer reading without needing to take them somewhere for programming. Has anyone attempted this before?
Old 04-05-2012, 06:43 PM
whitehooptie
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I believe the 99+ clusters were all hud capable. If you have an older one, I'd be willing to bet that the traces/schematics would be different. Kind of like the 97 and 98 Camaros. Even though they worked the same, they were two completely different animals. And the odometers between the two were different as well.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:25 PM
x2nervisx
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd like to know as wel as I'm in the same predicament.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:21 PM
DngrZne
Le Mans Master

I pulled apart the 2 clusters, and while that portion of the board does look the same, the EEPROM chip, although both look the same, have different part numbers on them, as well as are surface mount, so without knowing for sure they would work I think I will leave this one to the experts.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:38 PM
whitehooptie
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

What are the part numbers? Just because they are different doesn't mean that they aren't the same. It could be been from a different manufacturer. Happens all the time. And surface mount isnt too difficult as long as you have good eyes and a steady hand.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:59 PM
DngrZne
Le Mans Master

I will have to get part numbers next time I have them apart to get the combination of boards and gauge assemblies I want. I closed them back up to bring to Model Electronics to get them programmed. It is a very good possibility that they are the same chips, which I think is most likely the case. Most of the traces on the board look to be the same with the exception of the area up near the HUD connecter. The board is coated in a lacquer or something and since I don't really have a fine enough soldering iron tip I decided it's not worth the risk. I would not be all that surprised though if it would actually work.

Get notified of new replies

To Has anyone tried swapping the odometer EEPROM from non HUD cluster to HUD cluster?

Quick Reply: Has anyone tried swapping the odometer EEPROM from non HUD cluster to HUD cluster?